MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
spoon
Knows what a fatty is.

Default CAB Packers

I've always cooked Excel packer briskets which I think are Select grade. I've seen the CAB designation with other cuts of meat at our local Tom Thumbs recently, and I researched the board to find that CAB is supposed to be a high grade of Choice -- so I started to keep an eye out for CAB briskets. About two weeks ago while at Tom Thumb, they had 'em for $1.79/lb, but I didn't get any cuz I wasn't planning to Q for a while, and the guy told me they have 'em pretty regular.

I was at a different Tom Thumb today, and asked about CAB packer briskets. The guy said they didn't have any and didn't get them very regular (conflicting what the earlier guy told me). I asked him if I could order, and he said only trimmed CAB flats for high dollar -- packer briskets couldn't be ordered cuz he didn't have an order code (sound like b.s. to me). In summary, he said CAB packer briskets were just very hit-and-miss.

I'll be going back to the first Tom Thumb to see if I can get what I want. Has anybody been able to specifically ask for CAB packer briskets? Tom Thumb here in DFW area seems to be a big CAB distributor, so I'm hoping I can get some CAB packers. I'm kicking myself for not buying some earlier.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon
I've always cooked Excel packer briskets which I think are Select grade. I've seen the CAB designation with other cuts of meat at our local Tom Thumbs recently, and I researched the board to find that CAB is supposed to be a high grade of Choice -- so I started to keep an eye out for CAB briskets. About two weeks ago while at Tom Thumb, they had 'em for $1.79/lb, but I didn't get any cuz I wasn't planning to Q for a while, and the guy told me they have 'em pretty regular.

I was at a different Tom Thumb today, and asked about CAB packer briskets. The guy said they didn't have any and didn't get them very regular (conflicting what the earlier guy told me). I asked him if I could order, and he said only trimmed CAB flats for high dollar -- packer briskets couldn't be ordered cuz he didn't have an order code (sound like b.s. to me). In summary, he said CAB packer briskets were just very hit-and-miss.

I'll be going back to the first Tom Thumb to see if I can get what I want. Has anybody been able to specifically ask for CAB packer briskets? Tom Thumb here in DFW area seems to be a big CAB distributor, so I'm hoping I can get some CAB packers. I'm kicking myself for not buying some earlier.
If you can't find a Tom Thumb to do it for you, try Albertson's. The location in Colleyville ordered one for me. It was good but not exceptional. The price was a little higher, but not insane.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Spoon,
There is at least one CAB distributer in Dallas, probably more.
-----------------------------------
Freedman Meats, Inc. - Dallas
4216 Mint Way
Dallas, TX 75237-1608

CAB Contact:
Jay Riscky
214-331-8711 ext. 240 - office
214/331-8355 - fax
------------------------------
Take a look at the CAB distributer list here:
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cgi-bin/dist.cgi

We have bought CAB brisket from the Distributers in Orlando and Panama City with no problem at all. May have to order in advance to get the specific preparation you want.

Hope this helps.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Is there a Texas Meat Purveyor's in FW/D?

Old 04-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

The Restaurant Depot (national restaurant supply wholesale place) sells the CAB packers for $1.60 +/- per pound.
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
Grumpy's Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaty
The Restaurant Depot (national restaurant supply wholesale place) sells the CAB packers for $1.60 +/- per pound.
They sell to the general public? I thought you need a tax ID or something.
Fish fryer/ turkey fryer
22 1/2 inch Weber gold kettle..blue
1 small tailgate gasser
3 Big Green eggs, 1 medium and 2 larges
Grumpy's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Q
They sell to the general public? I thought you need a tax ID or something.
Food service license (at least here they do. refused to sell me a cart load of stuff, so I walked out. Let them restock it. Farkers)

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There's a local place that sells high quality all natural beef... packers are $5.45/lb, though... I can get American Kobe (Wagyu) for $3.95/lb plus shipping... how much are y'all paying for CAB's (other than wholesale)? Would have a barbecue related LLC allow one to join the Restaurant Depot?

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

I joined as a "BBQ caterer". They do require a TIN which could be your SSN. (I own a non food related business so I have an actual business Tax ID number.)
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
BrooklynQ
Banned

I use my kid's sports association non-profit id to get in.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote