SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans" Throwdown!!!

(secret ghost message to the vets - I am officially extending this Throwdown until Monday morning at 6am Central time, so let's pound them with some last minute entries, they won't even know what hit them)

This is great. Now maybe I'll have some time to enter something. Too bad I didn't take pics of what I cooked today -- because I farkin' thought this TD was over. :tsk: Errrr, I mean, too bad, I ... errrr, nevermind. :becky:

Fellow Farkanauts... We have fought a brave battle and t' Noobian horde be wavin' t' white flag. I say damn t' torpedos and full speed ahead with a final onslaught. Here's some fuel for t' fire.

Start off with one pound of hot ground pork sausage. Half a pound for t' chicken fried sausage, and half a pound for t' sausage gravy.
edit_preview.php

T'rew t'trusty CI on t' grill and browned up half t' sausage.
edit_preview.php

Mixed in enough flour to soak up t' rendered fat, and added milk to start t' gravy thickening.
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Once t' gravy was seasoned with S&P and thickened to t' right point, I got going on t' chicken fried sausage patty. To start, I coated it with a light dusting of flour after seasoning with a little SM Pecan rub.
edit_preview.php

Then on to t' egg wash.
edit_preview.php

And finally coated with Panko breadcrumbs.
edit_preview.php

While most chicken fried anything I have had has always been deep fried, I decided to go a little healthier. I decided to brown lightly on both sides...
edit_preview.php

and then finish on t' Traeger...
edit_preview.php

While t' sausage was coming up to temp and crisping up, I fried up a couple eggs in the CI on t' grill.
edit_preview.php

And now on to t' finished brekkie (I know; farkin' finally :blah:). Here we have chicken fried sausage and eggs with sausage gravy, hash browns (brain farted prep pics :doh:) and a side of apricot slices, blueberries and home grown raspberries.
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Ooey gooey, moist and chewy...
edit_preview.php

Har'... Below be t' money shot.
edit_preview.php

This meal be cooked early in the battle, but she still be fresh... Now that yer' bellies be full, go out and kick some more Noobian arse. :boxing:

That be all! Arrr.... :biggrin1:

Arrrr... In case yer not much of a breakast Farkanaut, here be another chow option... She be cooked early in the battle, but double wrapped in foil and a blanket and kept warm.

Picked up these beauties back in Feb and stashed away fer later use...
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Thawed them out in time for the battle, rubbed em' up and t'rew em' on t' Traeger.
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

They be ready...
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Below be the money shot...
edit_preview.php

Time to dive in...
edit_preview.php

That be all...

:biggrin1:

Darn you MONGO!!!!
I an mot even a fan of sausage gravy, but right about now I wish that breakfast plate was sitting right in front of me... so then I could take a nap and have that dinner plate sitting in front of me - well done sir.. well done!

Noobian Entry

I think I'll throw a handful of these at the Farkanaut. They're not heavy enough to do much structural damage, but they have pointy ends and could easily poke some old farkers eye out if they aren't careful (why else do you think there are so many eyepatch-wearers on bbq pirate ships?):becky:

Grilled Asian chicken satays marinated in a concoction full of all kinds of Asian stuff, with spicy peanut sauce and rice.

Attachments

• satays.jpg
    satays.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 66
Official Entry!

Ahoy Farkanauts:loco:
Time to fire off my last cannon ball.

I present to you, 2 Pound Lobster Tail, Steak & Potato.

I started out making a rub for some beautifully marbled rib-eyes.
IMG_4440_zps94191a56.jpg

IMG_4441_zpsd094a186.jpg

IMG_4446_zps05701fbf.jpg

Brushed them down with EVOO and coated them with rub.
IMG_4460_zps937e5597.jpg

I wrapped up the rib-eyes and let them sit to get to room temp for about an hour while I cooked up some baked potatoes. Pulled the potatoes, time for steak!
IMG_4462_zps296c139f.jpg

I did a reverse sear on these beauties using charcoal & hickory chunks for my smoke flavor. I brought the meat up to 115 before throwing them over the fire. Once I put them over the flames, I cooked them to 135. Then I covered them in tinfoil and let them rest for about 20 min.
IMG_4477_zpsb2ca4fbc.jpg

Backtrack a little.
Right after I put the Rib-eyes on the grill it was time to cook the Monster Lobster Tail.
IMG_4444_zpsbf0e0226.jpg

I had my Smokey Joe ready to go. I cooked the Lobster to an internal temp of 125.
IMG_4467_zps7d051793.jpg

Here it is plated and ready to be devoured. A meal fit for a Pirate.
IMG_4482_zpsa9b04998.jpg

Rib-eye, just the way I like it!
IMG_4499_zps6110aab5.jpg

Lobster, Dripping in butter. :becky:
IMG_4503_zps2c34866a.jpg

IMG_4497_zpsf926f43c.jpg

Money Shot
IMG_4467_zps7d051793.jpg

Thanks For Lookin Fellow Pirates!

Official Entry

First of all I'd like to tip my hat to the Fark-NOTS for their staying power throughout this battle. I never thought they could keep it up but I guess with modern advances in medicine and alcohol consumption they've made it a fight. :clap2:

Made a smoked turkey roulade, vegetable hash, and creamy mashed PO-TAY-TOES. First I prepped the filling for the turkey. It included just your basic yellow onion, yellow delicious apple, and some toasted pecans. I may have accidentally spilled some beer in here as well...

IMG_2275_zpsf1b8cb91.jpg

IMG_2275_zpsf1b8cb91.jpg

IMG_2282_zpsb89247a2.jpg

Then prepped the veggie hash. Chopped bacon, red onion, yellow/green zucchini, red potatoes, and an orange bell pepper. Got a late start on the cook so didn't get many pictures of the veggies and taters. Veggies were done in the CI Griswold and the taters were done stove-top in the kitchen. No pictures of the mashed potatoes but I just used a bag of yukon gold cooked fork tender then ran through the ricer. While the taters were cooking I warmed up some heavy cream, salted butter, and S&P. After they went through the ricer I mixed in the cream mixture as well as some freshly chopped chives.

IMG_2280_zps2f717e60.jpg

IMG_2284_zps79a75ae8.jpg

Now onto my meat.

Used a couple boneless turkey breasts with the thermos pulled out. The last and only time I did this meal they were one hunk of meat and had to be cut in a spiral fashion so the turkey laid flat about 3/4" thick. This time they were already cut this way so I just had to pound them out so they were somewhat uniform. Once flattened out I spread a layer of the filling on each, rolled them back up, and dusted. One was dusted with RJ's BBQ rub and the other with S&P, onion powder, and garlic powder.

IMG_2287_zpsb0a340c6.jpg

IMG_2291_zps1a832634.jpg

Let them ride on the WSM with 1 chunk pecan and 1 chunk of peach around 325 until they both reached IT of 165. Pulled and let them rest until slicing. I used the drippings from both turkeys with some of the leftover heavy cream, butter, and S&P to make some gravy.

IMG_2294_zps018e2638.jpg

Final plating and the money shot to the face yo!

IMG_2303_zps2ada03bc.jpg

I'm glad to see that Mongo tossed in his brilliant chicken-fried sausage here at the end of the war -- although it does remind me that I did not think of it. :doh:

Those beef ribs probably put out a lot of bone shrapnel when they hit the Noobian, too. :thumb:

CD

I had a weekend free where I could actually cook, and I remembered to take out my camera at the end :doh:. I haven't made one of these in a long time and someone posted in Q-talk about some boneless ribs, so it gave me a little hankering: I started out with some ribs seasoned with Foil Hat:

IMG_5926_zps6c541fef.jpg

These were given a very light coating of SBRs at the end

IMG_5927_zps2b45dc12.jpg

Normally, I cook my ribs dry and I craved a bit of sugar carmelization:

IMG_5929_zps55e49d93.jpg

I then deboned:

IMG_5930_zps8a8cea17.jpg

and turned one of those racks into a little sammie snack:

IMG_5946_zps30b64cd3.jpg

Official entry and such

My Final Volley towards the Noobian Hoards!

After a weekend of Football and Fishin', I'm cutting this one close.

LuzzAnn picked this up at the store:

2a78qds.jpg

2cofvhl.jpg

No time to smoke it so made a smoke pack for the Gasser:

2hhj5n5.jpg

30u7sdi.jpg

Smokin'

2hd5xdz.jpg

2w3nc6t.jpg

Plated with sides:

6quzpt.jpg

Don't forget dessert:

2n8vpdk.jpg

It was all good. Just a light smoke flavor on the Tri-Tip.

Thanks for Lookin' !

Well farkity fark! I have spent all day trying to fix my HTPC (Home Theater PC) which runs my whole house. Got all that squared away but haven't had time to put together my epic post yet. Anyway, I am going to just have to post my entry shots.

Fire all weapons!

IranMissileTest.jpg

Multiple-Missile-Launch-600x450.jpg

china_space_missile_launch.gif

124202-400x300.jpg

From The River Runs Through It - Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon cooked over a campfire along the river they were caught in.

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

250px-Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

From The River Still Runs Through It - Possibly (but doubtful) Wild Alaskan Country Style Ribs cooked over a campfire along the river we were fishing while one of the guys ran to the grocery store :becky:.

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

nuclear-explosion.jpg

From Are We There Yet? - back to Fairbanks - Wild Alaskan Chili Dogs :hungry:

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

in1.jpg

From Quest for Caribou - Homemade Dehydrated Spaghetti Meal cooked in a homemade cook set with an alcohol stove made out of a pop can.

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

castle_bravo_nuclear_explosion.jpg

From So Long and Thanks for All the Fish - Our Labor Day BBQ when we returned so we could vacuum seal all the fish. I cooked up a couple chuck roasts and made pepper stout beef. I also cheated and cut a whole brisket into three pieces to make burnt ends. Also on the list was a spatchcocked chicken and some thighs, some bacon wrapped meatballs and of course, some salmon.

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

nuclear-explosion.png

Now back to fixing the computer and maybe I can get my post together.

I think this one gets my vote so far.

IMG_1880.jpg

If you were so plastered that you couldn't even get the food in the frame, you must've been doing something right. :thumb: ... or are we supposed to notice there is food beneath that grate? :confused:

Heh, that wasn't the pic I had intended to use as it was not the best but I must have copied the wrong link. Oh well, I think that is some beautiful seasoning on the grates, don't you?

In all, none of the food pics were that great as usually we were pretty damn hungry and photos were not a priority. That and I was way too busy on Labor Day to mess with taking a lot of pics.

Back