SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans" Throwdown!!!

I take you were the smart one that jumped ship and gave up early :heh:

Wow, we are feeling pretty cocky, aren't we.

A throwdown veteran knows how to remain calm in a storm. You plan, you cook, you enter, and no matter what happens, you come back for more. I've won a throwdown with a cheeseburger, and have lost a few with really inspired meals to a plain old BBQ staple. That's just the way it is.

I love to win, but sometimes I'm just happy to eat my entry -- and that's the way it works in the real world.

Now, having said that, we still have a couple weeks to play, and my bar is well stocked. There is no telling what might happen at casa d'Casydog. :cool:

CD

Wow, we are feeling pretty cocky, aren't we.

A throwdown veteran knows how to remain calm in a storm. You plan, you cook, you enter, and no matter what happens, you come back for more. I've won a throwdown with a cheeseburger, and have lost a few with really inspired meals to a plain old BBQ staple. That's just the way it is.

I love to win, but sometimes I'm just happy to eat my entry -- and that's the way it works in the real world.

Now, having said that, we still have a couple weeks to play, and my bar is well stocked. There is no telling what might happen at casa d'Casydog. :cool:

CD

Not trying to be cocky at all just having a little fun. I could really have more fun with that stocked bar you have there.

Mmmmm boobies!

What? Where?

boobies.jpg

:becky:

Captain Bigafart, it seems the noobians have a spy inside our quarters. I planned my secret nuke attack for weeks, and when the time came to fire. My arsenal had been destroyed behind my back (in other words. My woman was out of town which left me and a buddy of mine to take all of the pictures and well ... we forgot after a few or 12 cold brews :tsk:)

I'll post what I got straight from my blog ...

I've been asked time and time again "when are you going to let everyone try some of that BBQ you talk about?" In talking with a buddy of mine on BBQ Brethren. He told me I needed to smoked a bunch of butts, so the fat will help seal everything up. Hhmmm, people want to try my BBQ and I need to cook a bunch of pork, hhmmmm.​

Since others were going to be eating this. I decided to go with what I knew was good.​

I whipped up some of Myron Mixon's injection. Then covered all 4 butts in Plowboys Yardbird Rub.​

After an hour or so in, they're starting to climb up in temp.​

On down in time, the bark is starting to darken up.​

They were cooking a little differently, so I wrapped 2 of them and left the others to get a good dark bark.​

With about 2 hours to go, I whipped up some ABTs and threw those on the top rack.​

Once the ABTs came off ... well ... they were eaten before I could get a plated picture.​

I didn't get any pictures of the pulling process, but the fridge is full of nearly 40lbs of pulled pork.​

I split all of this up between about 20 people, and received very good reviews. Which means, get ready, because there will be another cook ... soon.​

The attack was supposed to be 40lbs of pulled pork bombs with ABT torpedos shooting from the water below. The ABTs were already started to be eaten before I remembered the camera, and then we sat down for dinner and ate half of our plate before my fiance said "I thought you were taking pictures" :twitch:​

Slow your Roll!!!

Another broadside attack from the Vets... and the Noobs are totally anihalated....

Bwaaaaa Hahahahahahahahaaha......

It's... OVER!

Slow your roll over there in the land downunder. Although that was a devastating hit to force field and hope there are no photon torpedos coming this way soon, while we fix the force field.

No real damage to the main ship cap'n,

We... need...more...power.

Giv'n 'er all I got Cap'n, we are outta dilithium crystals.

FIRE IN THE HOLE! Another Farkenaut entry.

I don't usually enter two throwdowns with one entry, but I think chicken is under-represented in this throwdown, and a whole chicken fits perfectly in the SS Farkenaut canons.

I started by making a brine with sea salt, turbinado sugar, and fresh sage, rosemary and thyme from my garden (sorry, no parsley :becky:).

picture.php

picture.php

I brined my bird overnight. Then, I pulled it from the brine, stuffed it with chunks of lemon and onion, rubbed a LOT of minced garlic under the skin, and tied my bird up. It then sat in the fridge for a couple hours so the skin would dry enough to get nice and crispy when cooked.

picture.php

Once I got the bird on the grill, I par cooked some red potato shrapnel, coated them with OO, and seasoned with salt, pepper and some dried oregano, also from my garden.

picture.php

About fifteen minutes left on the cook, I poured the potatoes into the drip pan under the bird, along with some butter, and let the potatoes finish cooking in chicken fat.

picture.php

The bird came out golden brown.

picture.php

The potatoes were perfectly cooked, and quite tasty.

picture.php

Right after I took the potato shot above, the power went out in my neighborhood. So, my money shot was lit by a combination of Coleman lantern, and the flash on the camera, in slow-sync mode. I kind of like how it turned out. Nice try noobians, but sabotaging the power grid didn't work.

picture.php

I ate a little bit of ever part of the bird, and it was my best rotisserie chicken so far. This should put a nice hole in the hull of the Noobian. :heh:

Enjoy.

I believe that was a direct hit on their munitions storage. I don't think there's anything left of them!

Back