Some advice concerning a small smoker

J

japhroaig

So I'm planning to build a nice, large, quality smoker this year, but it dawned on me that I actually need something ready to go for a birthday party I'm throwing in a couple weeks. Building my dream smoker isn't gonna happen that fast, and the wife has ruled out a UDS (and I do agree with her, I want something that looks nice next to our koi pond), so I've been researching cheap options that can use the over abundance of fruitwood I currently have.

The two options I am considering meet the three main goals I have for this project: under $100, portable, and not too bad looking. They are either 1) adding a new Weber grill to my collection, and smoking with a 'snake' of charcoal and fruitwood (which I have done very successfully many times), or 2) building an 'Alton Brown Pottery Smoker' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8).

The pros of the first option are: I know how it works, you can't have too many grills, and the wife doesn't mind the look of another grill. The cons are: closer to $100 than I would like, harder to manage long burns at low temp, and it's really just another grill.

The pros of the second option are: I can get all the parts locally, it would cost ~$40 total, and I love the challenge of cobbling things together and making them work. The cons are: I haven't used that kind of system before, it's electric (which limits where it can operate), and it's breakable.

So what do the brethren suggest? I'm open to alternate ideas as well as long as they are pretty inexpensive and don't look to bad. Thanks!!

p.s. I will be smoking a six pound, salt/spice/pinksalt cured pork shoulder over a combination of apple and cherry wood. I have two of these shoulders, so I can do a dry run before the event with little problem.

How about a wsm? That would look really nice in the yard.

To my eye, I would rather see a nice UDS than one of those AB smokers. I would go with the Weber kettle myself, hard to beat the classic.

Ok how about going old school, with an open pit formed out of rock with an adjustable rotating spit with a cooking grate. Very simple and can be disassemble and moved very easily if need be. If will fit the motif you describe and be a source of interesting conversation with guest. With the right assortment of utensils, pots and hangers ect. you can do the whole meal on it and the experience will be well worth it in the long run. Only down side would be the weather but if its that bad you probably wont be cooking out doors anyway.
Dave

*omg* that smoker looks incredible. a smoke looking like that wouldn't just get a green-light from the wife, it would probably get a "What are you waiting for!!?!".

What kind of paint/finish was used on the outside, and how do they wear over time? The other parts I can figure out. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!

How about a nice wooden box around the uds with only the weber lid showing. You could use ceder fencing materials with a nice stain. Just an idea.

Randy

What kind of paint/finish was used on the outside, and how do they wear over time? The other parts I can figure out. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!

Mine doesn't have any paint/finish but the one on smokering had some sort of stain and clearcoat. As for wear it won't last like a metal smoker. The staves will shrink so you will either need to put water in it or what I do is just knock the metal bands down to tighten up the gaps. It will take some TLC for it to last but I think it's worth it. It insulates real well and cool factor is off the charts. :-D

How about a modified Smokey Joe? Some of the guys at the Virtual Bullet are adding a mid-section to the SJ to create a smoker. This would come in under $100 and give you the opportunity to cobble together some things. It's a Weber, so you got that going for you and it's portable. I bet you could get a 6-lb. butt on one of those.

How about a modified Smokey Joe? Some of the guys at the Virtual Bullet are adding a mid-section to the SJ to create a smoker. This would come in under $100 and give you the opportunity to cobble together some things. It's a Weber, so you got that going for you and it's portable. I bet you could get a 6-lb. butt on one of those.

Same concept.. using a used 18 1/2" OTS weber kettle...

Another approach worth considering... within the 100 dollar budget.

add one "Pro-Q" stacker for WSM
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-Q-BBQ-PROQ-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dcb2081d

Turn the stacker upside down and relocate the stacker grates...

... becomes a fatter kettle/WSM .

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=696514&postcount=18

I would recommend a UDS and a new, slightly more redneck, wife:biggrin:

Hold on there--both of us have parents with broken down cars in the front yard and more chainsaws than can reasonably be operated. Rednecks are *our people* , thank you very much. :D Our orchard doesn't need to look perfect, it just needs to look nice :mrgreen:

Back