עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default London KY competitors save a life

I was waiting to see if this got posted before I did. First, I want to say I am not posting this to garner pats on the back for myself because I feel it is my job, but I would like to give a shout out to the other competitors that rushed to help out.

Here is a link to my blog with the whole story, here it is in a nutshell.

Friday night a gentleman collapsed next to our spot. Someone yelled for help, I excused myself from my meat inspection and ran over. The guy was not breathing and didn't have a pulse. CPR was started and then assisted by a few other, I assume, competitors. Upon arrival at the hospital he had a pulse and was talking. I got to meet his son on Saturday and told him to let his dad know I was sorry if his chest was a little sore ;)

Take it how you want, but for me there were too many coincidental factors
for it to be a chance.
82's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
emohn
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0

We were all super glad to hear he was holding his own Friday night and hopefully continues to improve. By the time we knew what was going on, it was pretty clear that the professionals were on hand to get him the best care possible, and happy to hear that there were folks in his immediate area that could respond quickly and appropriately while the 'bus' was en route. I tend to agree with you that there were a good many put in his path that night to ensure that he got the best response possible, and 'luck' has little to do with it.
emohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
EMTTLC
Knows what a fatty is.

I came up early Saturday morning to judge and ate breakfast with Kelly and Rhonda of Uncultured Swine, who's site the man was at. They recounted the story and I'll have to agree that the right people were at the right place at the right time. Too often we see sad endings to stories like these because of people's unwillingness or inability to help. CPR saves lives. As a 30+ year Paramedic/Firefighter and CPR instructor: Thank you for a job well done!
EMTTLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

You all did a great job!
Pappy Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Definitely a great effort on everyone's part. Everything happened the way it should have.

Unread 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
LTG
On the road to being a farker

Good job. Cool blog btw.

Unread 03-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad to hear the guy is doing better. I know it was not looking good there for a bit.

Unread 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Hat's off to you!

Unread 03-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
smoke-n-fire
On the road to being a farker

Great job guys! People don't fully understand them importance of learning CPR until the situation arises. Not only did you all save a life i'm sure you encouraged others to learn CPR as well which could save many lives. Proud of you guys!

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

you all did a awesome job and I was very glad you all were there. Anyone have a current update on the gentlemen?

Unread 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
New Pal Frank
Full Fledged Farker

As I said Friday evening, regaurdless of the out come of the BBQ contest, You were the Grand Champion for that contest.
As a past Firefighter and EMT of 17 years, it is rare to get a save, even if it is a "witnessed" code. Higher powers were there to put all the people in the right place.
Congrats and you can camp next to us any time
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team
New Palestine IN
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Pat yourself on the back away Jasen, what you did is awesome and brings awareness to others. Keep doing what you do and thank you for making a difference in people's lives.

Brew-B-Q BBQ Team
Backwoods Extended Party / FEC100 / Memphis Advantage / "The Hulk" UDS
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

The son had stopped by on Saturday morning and said his dad has some amnesia but is doing good. The goal is to place an internal defibrillator and send him home. I asked his son to keep me informed if he didn't mind and he agreed to do it, So hopefully we'll continue to hear some great news about him in the future.

Unread 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTTLC View Post
I came up early Saturday morning to judge and ate breakfast with Kelly and Rhonda of Uncultured Swine, who's site the man was at. They recounted the story and I'll have to agree that the right people were at the right place at the right time. Too often we see sad endings to stories like these because of people's unwillingness or inability to help. CPR saves lives. As a 30+ year Paramedic/Firefighter and CPR instructor: Thank you for a job well done!

This being a KCBS sanctioned event, it is against the rules for you to visit a teams site the morning of a contest. You should have been disqualified as a judge for this event.
Secondly, how can you eat breakfast before a contest and still give due justice on sampling? Taking 2 good bites of each piece placed before me for judging always ends up making me feel uncomfortable. I can't imagine starting off with a partial full belly.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
This being a KCBS sanctioned event, it is against the rules for you to visit a teams site the morning of a contest. You should have been disqualified as a judge for this event.
Secondly, how can you eat breakfast before a contest and still give due justice on sampling? Taking 2 good bites of each piece placed before me for judging always ends up making me feel uncomfortable. I can't imagine starting off with a partial full belly.
Ed
Maybe he just sat down and ate breakfast with them inside the building where breakfast was served? I don't know about you but I ate at 7:30 that morning and would have been fine by noon.