Pickled Red Onion

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score

Here’s the recipe for the Pickled Red Onion that you’ve seen in some of my dishes.

Pickled Red Onion: (Tweaked from Rick Bayless’s recipe and adjusted for 2 onions)
2 large red onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 ½ cups fresh sour orange juice OR 1 cup fresh lime juice plus ½ cup fresh orange juice
2 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 habanero cut in half (If desired)

Directions: Scoop the onions into a non-aluminum bowl. Pour boiling water over them, wait 30 to 45 seconds, then pour the onions into a strainer. Return the drained onions to the bowl, pour on the sour orange juice (or the lime-orange combo) and stir in 2 tbsp. white vinegar and 1 teaspoons salt. Add 1 habanero cut in half if you want a little heat. Cover and set aside until serving time.

I use a Mandolin to slice up the onion. (Careful now! :shock:)

I used a large sauce pan as my bowl and boiled the water in it.

I then put the onions in it and stirred them for 30 to 45 seconds.

Dumped them into a colander and put them into a 1 qt. ball jar. Poured in the juice, vinegar and salt mixture

and then added the Habanero and closed it up for a nice get acquainted rest

This is good for up to a month in the fridge and goes great with all kinds of dishes.

Last edited:
Looks great! Thanks for the step by step.....pickled onions and peppers is served with BBQ at my house all the time, I'll try your recipe, I like the habanero idea

Nice idea and simple to boot. Nice to have a jar around to brighten many dishes. Wonder how they go in a martini ?

so question for yah.

why do you soak the onions in the water for 30 minutes?

I have recently started making pickled red onions. Mine did not have the OJ or habanero. I will have to try that.

It's great with any BBQ. Cuts the richness and adds a whole new flavor profile.

I have been looking for a pickled onion recipe for a longggg time. This looks perfect.

It all looks great, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Back