MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Beans"

This weeks category is...

"Beans"

Anonymous Photo

Here is the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown which we follow every week!

1) The item must be either Grilled or Smoked.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown week ( 4/20 - 4/26 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by 9pm Central on 4/27.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin by Tuesday 4/28 after I submit the "Vote" thread and voting will close on Sunday 5/3. All votes will be public.

Next weeks category will be decided by the winner of the Bologna throwdown, Pork Smoker!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I vote for Keri C.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Rick's Tropical Delight

this is almost the keri bean recipe, but a couple of ribs instead of the pulled pork and no apple pie filling

use this one ^
Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
JD McGee

Beans huh???...gonna have to pass on this one...I have one hellava time trying to keep those suckers on my smoker racks...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
thirdeye

~~~~~~~~~~ NOT my entry, These are Mrs ~t~'s beans ~~~~~~~~~~

It has snowed on and off for 3 days, very wet stuff, the big half dollar flakes.....I had to work Saturday and today. I swing by the store for the Pasilla peppers I need for the Throwdown. I get home and Mrs ~t~ has thawed some of my hocks from the freezer and has a huge pot of great northerns in the Nesco. The house smells great, and there is a six shooter of my favorite beer in the fridge. I'm thinkin' #@!*&, I gotta cook some beans on the pit. How can I pull this one off without pi$$ing her off?

No problem, she's been dealing with this for 30 years. While I opened a beer and got the Egg going, she prepped the onions, garlic, cilantro, Pasilla peppers, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers and grated the melting cheese.

Stay Tuned, my official Bean Throwdown entry is on the way.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Her Hocks look delicious Thirdeye!
Damn, I'm hungry. I love Navy Beans and Hocks.

Weiser
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
this is almost the keri bean recipe, but a couple of ribs instead of the pulled pork and no apple pie filling
Dude, you never cease to amaze me. I'm stuffed, and I'd hit those in a second.

Wayne, those may not be an entry, but I'd hit them too. I love ham and beans.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
thirdeye

Here is my Bean Throwdown entry.....Four Bean & Cheese Poblano Rellenos, a Stephen Raichlen recipe that JM3 and fishlessman turned me on to several years ago. I used a combination of kidney, pinto, black and great northern beans. I flipped a coin on the two pictures I liked... the one above will be my entry shot.

It all comes together when some onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapenos and cilantro is sauteed, then seasoned with a little salt and cumin. The beans and a little cheese is stirred into the veggies, then the mix is loaded into the halved poblano's. I grilled mine raised direct for 25 minutes.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
pigpen
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

wow thirdeye! those look amazing.

I think I will be cooking that some time this week.

I bet some pulled chicken would be a tasty addition.
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #11
iceman78
Full Fledged Farker

Default Baked Beans

I have had success the last 3 weeks with family with making these beans... even my wife who had not eaten beans of any sort for 16 years! Good Ole' Jack got her to enjoy beans... so I think I am a winner already!

4 cans Bushes
Brisket Q'd
Cup of Brown Sugar
Bell Peppers grilled
Onion - Odwalla - Grilled
1/4 c yellow mustard
2 tbsp Tobasco
Then some maple syrup

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black] 09 WSM, [/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]'10 BGE Small, 08 Brinkman[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]; 93 Performer, 02 Performer, 2000 Platinum;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]79 Grey, 97 Black, 99 Black, Yellow, Simpsons, Lime Green, 94 Green;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]04 Grillware, 05 Genesis sunk in 1940s Coke machine, 11 Weber Q 200;[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black]Mountain Dew Can, 05 Baseball, Coleman Green, 11 Coleman Blue, 04 Coleman Roadtrip[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Black], 01 Smokey Joe, 02 Smokey Joe[/COLOR][/FONT]
iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
This weeks category is...

"Beans"

Here is the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown which we follow every week!

1) The item must be either Grilled or Smoked.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown week ( 4/20 - 4/26 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by 9pm Central on 4/27.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin by Tuesday 4/28 after I submit the "Vote" thread and voting will close on Sunday 5/3. All votes will be public.

Next weeks category will be decided by the winner of the Bologna throwdown, Pork Smoker!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!
Chris, your dates keep me guessing...

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
volkanator
Knows what a fatty is.

Those Bean & Cheese Poblano Rellenos are the bomb! I've made them twice recently from the Raichlen book and I can honestly say they might be the best thing I've ever made. Wouldn't think that I would put a bean dish at the top of my BBQ list but they were great. I accidentally dropped one upside down onto my dirty patio table and all the filling came out but that didn't stop me from licking it all up like a dog! Man was it good!!!
volkanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

Here is my Bean Throwdown entry.....Four Bean & Cheese Poblano Rellenos, a Stephen Raichlen recipe that JM3 and fishlessman turned me on to several years ago. I used a combination of kidney, pinto, black and great northern beans. I flipped a coin on the two pictures I liked... the one above will be my entry shot.

It all comes together when some onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapenos and cilantro is sauteed, then seasoned with a little salt and cumin. The beans and a little cheese is stirred into the veggies, then the mix is loaded into the halved poblano's. I grilled mine raised direct for 25 minutes.

dang, man. nice!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Smoker View Post
Chris, your dates keep me guessing...
Thanks for pointing that out! Looks like I got off by a week there!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote