Backwoods Smoker G2 models

You can run dry, meaning no water in the pan, but some folks add sand to act as a heat sink. Or you could remove the pan and diverter and run dry and direct heat.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with water vs no water. The time I borrowed a party the water can really get to a rolling boil and then steam a lot in the sealed environment. Then take my WSM, which I always now run dry because the water never really seems to steam up as much as the water pan is much further away from the coals. So I don't think it makes a difference on the WSM and am interested to see if I can tell a difference in the BW.

Dammit Dave, I had just about talked myself out of the G2 Party... :)

You can run dry, meaning no water in the pan, but some folks add sand to act as a heat sink. Or you could remove the pan and diverter and run dry and direct heat.

maybe Ill swing by HD and pick up some lava rock. I run my WSM with just a foiled pan. gave up on dealing with the greasy/nasty foiled flower pot base. didnt notice much difference but the wsm has sig more room between the water pan and the g2

I've been a drypan WSM guy forever, so it was only natural for me to play around with ceramic briqs, foil balls, firebricks and aluminum pans with water in the Gater pan, but I was having pit temps creeping up and overshooting my target. Since I started using the BWS as it was designed with water in the pan I place a foiled sheet pan on a grate directly over the waterpan to catch drippings and its is much easier to maintain and cleanup is a lot less hassle.

BTW, one time I was cooking dry, the waterpan distorted with the diverter in place @285-300*. I freaked, but when it cooled I stepped on it and it snapped back into shape, but mine must be haunted, because it sounds like welds are popping and things are expanding and contracting!

In pic 7 the charcoal tray is holding on to the left side rail by less than a 1/8th to a 1/16th of an inch. That would worry me

Worry not. The chubby Dave took a picture of is the one I bought. But you have me wondering so I went outside and tried to make it fall off and no dice. Pushed the tray all the way to either side at multiple depths in and out and it won't fall.

Shoved it all the way to one side.
IMG_0428.jpg

Right about 1/8". Dave's pictures does look more dangerous though. He's always taking pictures from weird angles :p:icon_blush:.
IMG_0431.jpg

Jason that's a really nice cooker. I need to take a road trip and check everything out.

Ive got mine in seasoning as we speak. I tossed a bag of lava rock in the waterpan. I also decided to try those weber parafin cube starters. since the ash pan is so nicely attached to the firebox, I just put 2 in the ash pan, lit and slid the ash pan in. After 20 or so min the rear corner was nice and lit so I slid it in. after it hit about 150, I hooked the guru up, took it to 250, overshot to 260, brought it to 300 and over shot another 10, then 350 and overshot 10 so now I closed the fan damper a bit and the exhaust vent open about 25%. Just hit he inside and the grates with some pam. me thinks this time she holds fine at 350 with the dampers closed up a bit.

Too bad I lost my camera battery charger somewhere in my kitchen remodel thats mid progress. I see the Guru is looking for pictures of cookers in the snow. Picturesque snow fall as I type

No room between the charcoal firebox and the diverter could be problematic for the Chubby, no?

Just have to be careful and not over fill the coal basket. As long that fire box is, mounding the coal up is not necessary. Should get 8 hrs at 250 no problem on it.

Dave
It was good to see you and thank you for the coverage on the G2's!!!!

I see 11hrs after starting my burnout, the G2 Chubby is still above 200. after running it up to 350 for a few hrs and hitting 2x with pam, I pulled the guru off and went to bed. Got an inch of snow overnight as well. pretty farking impressed for how little charcoal I used. Im used to dumping 20lb bags into my wsm22

Just have to be careful and not over fill the coal basket. As long that fire box is, mounding the coal up is not necessary. Should get 8 hrs at 250 no problem on it.

I got 9 hrs during my seasoning at 400 with charcoal left. Granted it wasn't with loaded with food, but that is very promising :grin:.

Pulled the firebox out after 12 hrs of HH burn. just a couple little glowing shards. Talk about selling me on this cooker, I pulled out the box+ash pan in 1, dumped the ash pan and firebox separately and pushed her into the garage. still reading 150 and just radiating heat when I opened the doors. closed her up and though I know nothing hot should be trusted, I feel pretty safe with it in an enclosed garage and going to work. nice, very nice

maybe Ill swing by HD and pick up some lava rock. I run my WSM with just a foiled pan. gave up on dealing with the greasy/nasty foiled flower pot base. didnt notice much difference but the wsm has sig more room between the water pan and the g2

I found on the Chubby at least that you can't really foil the water pan. the WSM pan is round...so the foil just sits on the bottom. Expanding air escapes up the sides. On my Chubby, the square pan traps any air under the foil and creates a big bubble. That air gap is an excellent insulator, and has a big impact on the temp in the Chubby.

I would think a drip pan over the water would work fine, but only if you have the space for it. Not a lot of room in there.

Those are sweet. Dear Santa....

You have room next to the Jambo and the Yoders? :becky:

The new racks are nice. They look more like...FEC racks. :icon_shy

Is it just the skin that's Galvinized? The interior chamber on the back of the Backwoods tends to rust from the inside out. Would be nice if they had an option to use stainless for those pieces.

You have room next to the Jambo and the Yoders? :becky:

The new racks are nice. They look more like...FEC racks. :icon_shy

Is it just the skin that's Galvinized? The interior chamber on the back of the Backwoods tends to rust from the inside out. Would be nice if they had an option to use stainless for those pieces.

Yes, just the skins. They do have an option to do the interior in stainless. However, not sure on the cost but I imagine it aint cheap....like fall out of your chair not cheap....!!!!

I got 9 hrs during my seasoning at 400 with charcoal left. Granted it wasn't with loaded with food, but that is very promising :grin:.

Dry it'll rock 250 for probably 12 hrs easy. Wet is gonna use alot more fuel. Haven't cooked on the G2 yet, but my guess will be 8-9 hrs at 250. Fire that hooker up wet, slap a butt on and let us know Jason!!!!!!!

Back