Venison Anyone?

The whole hind leg, less the lower skinny part (that I saw up and use for venison osso bucco). Maybe you call it the ham?

I love those, here is how I do mine>>>
1) debone the hind quarter and cut out the little glands along the bone, they are very bitter, clean up as much silver skin and connective tissue
2) rub with you EVOO then your favorite rub inside and out, roll up and either tie with string or long skewers to hold together.
3) then here is my favorite part fire up the smoker to 200-225, cover the quarter with pepper bacon and on to the pit it goes.
4)the next steps really depend on the level of doneness you prefer on venison, when mine hits IT around 135- 140 I pull it and wrap in foil with a basting liquid made with beef broth, chicken broth and some of the rub
5)throw back on pit and let cook till meat falls apart the extra liquid with baste and keep meat moist.
6)save some of the basting liquid and boil and let cool and serve with the venison as an au jus, with garlic smashed potatoes, and grilled asparagus....
Awesome!!!!
Hope you try it like this I have done several and there is never any left...

Smokeyokie is dead-nuts on the money with that recipe. And DO NOT forget to remove that gland from the middle of the hind quarter. It is NASTY!

I did a venison roast on my website last year, slightly different than oakie's recipe. Here's the link... http://www.oakridgebbq.com/2010/09/smoked-venison-roast.html

By the way, we also make what many consider to be the best venison rub on the planet...

Smokeyokie, you gotta pic of that? That sounds sooooo goooood......mmm

Jalon
No I wish I did... the last one I did was last fall before I was a member of this forum, I have one more hind quarter left and I will leave plenty of PrOn when I do that one... It always :thumb:turns out awesome!

[ By the way, we also make what many consider to be the best venison rub on the planet...[/QUOTE]
kcmike, I have a bag of your venison rub waiting till I do my next hind quarter, and if the other rubs I have gotten from you are any indication, it will be awesome too!!!!!

[ By the way, we also make what many consider to be the best venison rub on the planet...
kcmike, I have a bag of your venison rub waiting till I do my next hind quarter, and if the other rubs I have gotten from you are any indication, it will be awesome too!!!!![/QUOTE]

Smokeyokie is dead-nuts on the money with that recipe. And DO NOT forget to remove that gland from the middle of the hind quarter. It is NASTY!

I did a venison roast on my website last year, slightly different than oakie's recipe. Here's the link... http://www.oakridgebbq.com/2010/09/smoked-venison-roast.html

By the way, we also make what many consider to be the best venison rub on the planet...

Pictures were awesome! Hope I can do as well. Ever try Pecan wood instead of Oak & Hickory?

kcmike, I have a bag of your venison rub waiting till I do my next hind quarter, and if the other rubs I have gotten from you are any indication, it will be awesome too!!!!!

Thanks, smokeyokie! It is pretty darn good chit, even if I do say so myself... :becky::thumb::icon_blush:

Pictures were awesome! Hope I can do as well. Ever try Pecan wood instead of Oak & Hickory?

Thanks Sheepman! I don't have easy access to pecan wood, so I don't use it that often. However, I have used it on rare occasions and find it to be very similar to hickory, only a bit milder. It would be dynamite on deer.

I get all of my smoking wood from my family's farm in NW Missouri, where I also do all of my hunting.... :becky:

Attachments

• MJT_6122.jpg
    MJT_6122.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 38
  • MJT_6127.jpg
    MJT_6127.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 38
  • MJT_6140.jpg
    MJT_6140.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 38
  • MJT_6148.jpg
    MJT_6148.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 38
  • MJT_8316.jpg
    MJT_8316.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 38
  • MJT_8346.jpg
    MJT_8346.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 38
  • MJT_8447.jpg
    MJT_8447.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 38
  • FitStand2-2007_029pscr3.jpg
    FitStand2-2007_029pscr3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 38
  • TowerBlind121507_125_ACR.jpg
    TowerBlind121507_125_ACR.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1862.jpg
    DSCN1862.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Sheepman! I don't have easy access to pecan wood, so I don't use it that often. However, I have used it on rare occasions and find it to be very similar to hickory, only a bit milder. It would be dynamite on deer.

I get all of my smoking wood from my family's farm in NW Missouri, where I also do all of my hunting.... :becky:

Beautiful pix! My home town looked like that when I was a kid. Makes me homesick, and I'm living here! When they built the interstate (I-95) a boatload of people shipped in from NY. Now we're cheek to jowl. Can't even bow hunt and the deer herds are out of control. Lyme's disease is rampant. Shoot!

Back