Beer can chicken, HELP!!!!

joenamy

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a couple of beer can chickens on my UDS for New Years Eve. I am asking, once again, for y'alls help. I need temps, how long to cook the bird etc... Thanks in advance!!!!!

I would smoke them for a hour and something at high temp like 350-375-ish and pull the birds when they're 170F internal in the breast.

I think i might do some moink balls as well as a naked fatty!!!!! Can y'all tell Im hungry when I come off of night shift!!??:mod:

Phub's got it. I usually pull mine at 160 in the breast and 170 in the thigh. 'Course I usually spatchcock. But either way, you're gonna have a bit of residual cooking after pulling, especially if you foil wrap/cover and let 'em rest.

Good luck!

I think i might do some moink balls as well as a naked fatty!!!!! Can y'all tell Im hungry when I come off of night shift!!??:mod:

Do it!!!:becky:
I thought you were nightshifting...usually it's kinda quiet out here in the morning.

Phub's got it. I usually pull mine at 160 in the breast and 170 in the thigh. 'Course I usually spatchcock. But either way, you're gonna have a bit of residual cooking after pulling, especially if you foil wrap/cover and let 'em rest.

Good luck!

I agrre with Wampus. Pull at 160 or maybe 165 breast temp. Let rest for 15 minutes and carve/eat. Good stuff, Maynard!

Good advice so far!

300-350 it usually takes about an hour, I pull at 160 in the breast and usually the thigh is around 175-180 (I like the thigh as close to 180 as possible).

1 tip I've learned that seems to help - use a warm can of beer. If you only have refer'd ones, run it under warm/hot water for a few min untill it doesn't feel cold any more, just helps speed up the cooking time a bit. Oh and, open it in the sink! :wink:
I also pour out 1/4 of the beer and punch a ring of holes around the top of the can, lets more moisture out?

Last thing - take the flap of skin from the top of the breast side and pull it over the neck hole and pin it to the back with a couple of toothpicks, it looks nicer and will hold the moisture inside.

Post some pics for us!

Pretty sure I'm going to have to try all this.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro.

Good advice so far!

300-350 it usually takes about an hour, I pull at 160 in the breast and usually the thigh is around 175-180 (I like the thigh as close to 180 as possible).

1 tip I've learned that seems to help - use a warm can of beer. If you only have refer'd ones, run it under warm/hot water for a few min untill it doesn't feel cold any more, just helps speed up the cooking time a bit. Oh and, open it in the sink! :wink:
I also pour out 1/4 of the beer and punch a ring of holes around the top of the can, lets more moisture out?

Last thing - take the flap of skin from the top of the breast side and pull it over the neck hole and pin it to the back with a couple of toothpicks, it looks nicer and will hold the moisture inside.

Post some pics for us!

Interesting, I hadn't thought of pinning a flap of skin over the neck hole. I typically use my ceramic chicken head because it's good for laughs or have stuffed a wedge of apple or potato in it.

IMG_4946.jpg

You'll find lots of people who prefer spatchcock chicken instead of beer can chicken and tests like this. Personally I need to do some more of my own testing before I draw a conclusion as right now I like the taste of either method.

Oh man! I want one of those!!!

IMG_4946.jpg

I also tuck the wing tips up and over the flap of skin in the eldow joint - looks nicer and helps keep the tips from burning/looking bad... moves the wing away from the breast to help it cook more evenly too.

You can kinda see what I mean in this pic of spatched birds on the kettle

2010-10-31181726.jpg

I get a 500ml Can of beer, drink half, add 1 or 2 Tbsp of rub to the beer - oh - and I use a normal hand held can opener to cut the top off the cane - that way its easy to get the spice in and allows more vapours into the inside of the chicken...

While beer can is fun - I really do wonder if it does anything given I find a spatchcocked chicken to be almost the same on the egg... Never really taste the beer and I pull with a thight at 170 and rest for at least 20 mins - allows juice to disperse and it should finish to 180 after that rest (tented with foil of course)... :-D

Back