Brining Chicken Wings ?

milehigh

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I almost always brine chicken, but when it comes to wings, i have marinated but have not brined. I am thinking they would benefit from a short brine. Does anyone brine their wings? And if so, for how long?

Paul

Not usually, if I do anything with wings, I marinate them in some sort of buffalo/hot sauce. Usually I just toss in olive oil and rub and straight to the smoker though.

i smoked some wings over the weekend. I did brine them overnight in a solution of salt, brown sugar, bbq rub and some herbs.
It was the first time I brined wings and I think they benefitted. I smoked them at 235 for 1.5 hrs then under the broiler until the skin crisped.
they were probably the best wings I've eaten. very tender, meat fell off the bone.

I'd be careful, because I find that when I dry brined the wings tend to retain the salt more. Lately I'm not putting any out on the wing if my seasoning is going to have any salt. My favorite wing recipe is "Dougherty's Wings" anyway, which are simply seasoned, smoked with charcoal and mopped.

I brined mine and felt they were rubbery because of it, but it could have been my attempt to low/slow things. My cooker isn't the best for wings...

I rarely brine or marinade wings because it seemed to interfere with getting a good crispy crusty skin. When I have brined them, I make sure to dry them very well and let them then air dry in the fridge for 30 minutes.

I brine mine if I can and with all other things poultry, I notice a difference. I don't think it's as significant a difference as with whole chickens, and I'm guessing it's because of the relative size of the meat, but I don't know.

Anyway, I brine my wings for 1-1.5 hours.

Like Wampus pointed out, i have always had great results brining chicken. I bet with the small pieces you do have to watch out for oversalting, like Dave said. Soooo...maybe a weaker brine and short time would work.

Thanks for the replies
Paul

Mine go on the grill straight from frozen. A little S&P while they cook and they can't be beat. Some times I'll toss them with some Frank's Wing Sauce and pop back on the grill for crisping up. Hmmm now I want wings for dinner.

a buttermilk brine for most poultry at home---about 50/50 with texas petes--overnite, drain, season and cook

Back