MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Michael Cowley
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Question about sausage

Hey guys I'm not from Texas but I had some sausage in Texas when I was there and my buddy asked me to smoke him some sausage.. What can I get around here (Maryland) that can mimick some of the sausage found in Texas? He didn't say what kind of sausage he wanted but I know he don't breakfast sausage he wants good smoked sausage. I just don't know anything about it or where to get it. I also have no way to grind it myself so don't even mention that it's not an option. I am just curious where I can buy it
Michael Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Tomah5139
Got Wood.

Since we are on topic of sausage can I ask a question here or should I start a new thread. Its about homemade sausage?
Tomah5139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomah5139 View Post
Since we are on topic of sausage can I ask a question here or should I start a new thread. Its about homemade sausage?
Start a new thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Central market of Eglin sells on line. As does Kilbosa, Slovaceks and Opas. those are the only ones I buy. Slovaceks & Central market on a Photo finish with Opas coming in a close second by Nose over Kilbosa's

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Just go to any local butcher and ask for hot links. They will be great. Also tons of flavored Brats are very good smoked.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Sweet Daddy-D
On the road to being a farker

Butcher shops are hard to come by in this part of Maryland. You could try Whole Foods in Annaplois, they are pricey but have several varieties of fresh sausage dying to be smoked.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Actually, the OP is correct here. He stated what options WERE NOT on the table and asked that posts regarding those options not be made. The thread has been scrubbed. Next time, read the OP carefully and if you have nothing to add, then don't add anything. Let's get the thread back on topic!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
BobBrisket

please read ^^^^^

He wants to know where he can buy it. Not buy a grinder or stuffer or make his own.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
SurrealOne

A friend of mine that lives in your neck of the woods said that Logan's is good. I've never had it, but he says you can get it in some local grocery stores. If you can't find a butcher who cases it locally, then you can order sausage online from Southside Market in Elgin, TX.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
jcinadr

Contact J-bar-B in Wielder or V&V in Cistern. Both are on the shelves of most major grocery stores in Texas. See if they have any distributors in your neck of the woods. Pretty sure J-bar-B ships nationally. I stuff my own, but when I did buy, my wife liked V&V better. IMHO I think Southside uses fillers and that gives it a texture I am not overly fond of. Even those who like it, would probably have to admit it is not a stereotypical Texas sausage. My favorite is City Market in Gonzales - but seriously doubt they ship - and they are also NOT stereotypical of Texas sausage.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
BobBrisket

How about some bbq restaurants or any other restaurants you can think of that might sell you some fresh links. Possible even a good deli might have some.

Bob

Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, and this may be found heretical to some, but I really like double smoking a previously "smoked" commercial sausage like Hillshire Keilbasa. It works great in egg dishes, hash, apple/kraut and just by itself.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Michael Cowley
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks guys for your responses and moderators for regulating this post. I don't know which route I'm gonna go I have about 3 weeks till he needs/wants it so ill keep looking. Has anyone ever tried the lexington market in downtown baltimore I heard if its meat they have it.
Michael Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

I personally have had fantastic results smoking raw Polish sausage.
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote