MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Butt time

Thinking about doing a couple of butts for Sunday. Going to cook at around 270 if I can keep temp up. Wondering how long it will take from start to finish. Going to wrap when I get the color I want, then put in oven to finish. Probably rest 2 hrs in cooler befor pulling. I'd rather be done early than late.

Peoria Custom Cooker, Brinkman Smokin Pit,
Webber 22 1/2" Kettle,Smokin-it #3,Smoky Joe,Orange super fast Thermapen ,Awesome Brethren Mini, 18.5" WSM, Blackstone Pizza oven, Weber Genesis Premium Grill, Blackstone 36" stainless steel griddle, Stainless UDS
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

How big is your butt(s)?
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly :boxing:
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
snapper-G
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
How big is your butt(s)?
BBQ'ers do get personal
snapper-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

When I cook butts, they are usually around 8 pounds each. At 225 degrees, I allow 80 minutes per pound, plus a two hour rest (foil, towel, empty cooler) before pulling. At 270, I'm guessing 50-60 minutes per pound. They may be done earlier than that, and that's no problem. I wrap based on color, too, and find that internal temp is usually between 160 and 165 when they are the color I am looking for. It just works out that way. Looking forward to some pictures!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
JoSal73
Full Fledged Farker

I usually cook around 275-300...takes me like 7-9 hours normally and then rest. 4-5 hours before wrap with a little apple juice, then another 3-4 tops to finish depending on what internal temp I want to pull.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Quote:
How big is your butt(s)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper-G View Post
BBQ'ers do get personal
I couldn't resist
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly :boxing:
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Haven't got them yet, but most I get are about 8 lbs. The hour per sounds good, I'll start a little early, and if they get done sooner, so be it. Thanks for all the input, even the butt size one . LOL

Peoria Custom Cooker, Brinkman Smokin Pit,
Webber 22 1/2" Kettle,Smokin-it #3,Smoky Joe,Orange super fast Thermapen ,Awesome Brethren Mini, 18.5" WSM, Blackstone Pizza oven, Weber Genesis Premium Grill, Blackstone 36" stainless steel griddle, Stainless UDS
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
wasatchbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

I usually cook around 225 degrees and factor about 1.25 hours per pound. I would agree with ITBFQ - at 270 degrees you are probably looking at an hour per pound. Be sure to take a good temperature and feel the meat for tenderness.
wasatchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

At 275* and wrapping when I get the color I like (Mahogany), 8-9 pound butts usually take about 9 hours for me.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

275 is around 50ish mins a pound for me.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Rocky Branch BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Robert

I cook it long enough to get the butt to 190 degrees then rest it like you said for a while, wrapped in a cooler. There are a lot of variables like your smoker, outside temp, wind, how many times you open to check things.
Rocky Branch BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
kolky
On the road to being a farker

I usually cook mine around 290 until internal temp is 160 then wrap it and continue cooking until internal temp is 195. Then pull it and let it rest in a cooler wrapped.

I can usually finish an 8lb butt in 6-7 hours this way.

If you are wanting it for the game you can throw it on at 8 or 9 in the morning. Should be done by 3 then just keep it wrapped in a cooler with a towel over it. It will hold for another 2 or 3 hours that way.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
When I cook butts, they are usually around 8 pounds each. At 225 degrees, I allow 80 minutes per pound, plus a two hour rest (foil, towel, empty cooler) before pulling. At 270, I'm guessing 50-60 minutes per pound. They may be done earlier than that, and that's no problem. I wrap based on color, too, and find that internal temp is usually between 160 and 165 when they are the color I am looking for. It just works out that way. Looking forward to some pictures!
Do You wrap in double foil or do you put it in disposable pan foiled with double aluminium ?

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico View Post
Do You wrap in double foil or do you put it in disposable pan foiled with double aluminium ?
Both! When I wrap for color, I put it in a pan to keep cooking. Then, when they reach finished temp, I take them out of the pan, wrap tightly in double aluminum foil, and plop them in the cooler to rest. I like to save the juices from the pan, and use a gravy fat separator thing to pour off the fat/oil.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
1buckie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
How big is your butt(s)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper-G View Post
BBQ'ers do get personal
Quote:
I couldn't resist
Another question might be.....

Do You Scrunch Up Your Butt?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=190464

I do about like ITBFQ does.....a goodly rest period really helps out......
1buckie is offline   Reply With Quote