MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #76
Twisted T's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkeys View Post
I normally shovel out the ashes at the end of my cooks (which is when that weld tends to frustrate me), followed by sweeping the remainder with a fireplace broom.

I've only oiled the inside of my firebox a few times since it was new, but this last time I opened up the firebox I found some water pooled at the low spot by the log lighter hole, and it had caused some minor rusting that I wanted to brush out and oil. If the log lighter hole created a smooth transition there the water might run out on its own, but there's kind of a lip there. I'm thinking about smoothing that area with a Dremel tool to see if the water will drain by itself.
thanks brother

I keep my smokers in a storage building that is somewhat a PITA when I want to cook but it keeps them out of the elements , my offset is a bayou classic but I have already made my mind up if and when I ever get another stick burner it will be a LSG offset horizontal ( I like the taste of the food to well that comes off the bayou ) so I figure I will just get a lot nicer version of what I have. I have been thinking about building a shed roof off of my building and keeping my smokers under that so I can cook where they set and mostly keep them out of the elements but I am afraid of smoker thieves but may gay ahead and do it, who knows lol ....
Twisted T's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #77
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
LOL! I have definitely thought about that, but my Wichita is kind of like having a beautiful girlfriend with some irritating personality quirks. I complain a lot, but every time I look at her she puts me in the mood (for cooking).

And, like a beautiful girlfriend, I'm willing to ignore some of her imperfections as long as she puts out (good food that is).
PLENTY of fish in the sea which are just as pretty (or much more pretty) and won't be a thorn in your side. haha

Cool, again, I really respect all that you've gone through with that cooker.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #78
slamkeys
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Testing your comment about PB.
They're saying on the Photobucket Screw Job thread that if you've ever had any kind of paid account on PB you have until December 2018 to use your existing account, after which you'll need to upgrade to the $399.99 account or your photos will no longer work on 3rd party sites.

I never had a paid account, so I guess that's why my photos were broken on day one.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #79
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Don't want to get too excited but there is an update on the Yoder blog that there is a new firebox air intake in test at Yoder that should finish next week. Is it possible this is the silver bullet many of us have been waiting for?
bbqpitsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #80
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
They're saying on the Photobucket Screw Job thread that if you've ever had any kind of paid account on PB you have until December 2018 to use your existing account, after which you'll need to upgrade to the $399.99 account or your photos will no longer work on 3rd party sites.

I never had a paid account, so I guess that's why my photos were broken on day one.
Yeah, my account was paid (small amount) so that's a good thing for me I guess. I can start saving now for that ridiculous amount in 2018
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #81
zmhill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqpitsmoker View Post
Don't want to get too excited but there is an update on the Yoder blog that there is a new firebox air intake in test at Yoder that should finish next week. Is it possible this is the silver bullet many of us have been waiting for?
Can you post a link? Newest thing I'm seeing on the Yoder blog is from about a year ago. I'm sure I'm missing something...

Thanks!
Zack

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
zmhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #82
JokerBroker

An employee by the name of Joe Phillips posted something on Facebook August 8th on this topic. In the group Team Yoder Smokers, he said, and I quote, "We have heard our user base and will be making a few tweaks in the next production run of cookers." I think Slamkeys played a large role in getting this design updated.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #83
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

The comment about the Yoder enhancement is down the bottom of this thread. Hopefully they are going to post more details about it and wheher other existing customers can buy it?

http://community.yodersmokers.com/vi...1b48139ce21ba8

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #84
slamkeys

Joe Phillips is more than an employee. Here's a clip from an interview with Yoder owner Don Cary:

Quote:
How did you start Yoder Smokers? We’re a manufacturer by trade. One of our other companies manufactures construction tools, equipment and more. My vice president, Joe Phillips, managed production and the custom shop for Oklahoma Joe’s Smokers Co. in the late ’90s. Then, there were smokers we built for family, friends and employees. Those were all offset wood smokers. We built our first grill in 2007 and began building for commercial sale in 2009.
http://www.feastmagazine.com/shop/sh...3c12a04ff.html

Old 08-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #85
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

http://community.yodersmokers.com/vi...1b48139ce21ba8

That's a very good post by OP and they are thoroughly explaining their constant problems with their Cheyenne. I had the same issues and the only way to cook on it was with the firebox door open. I wonder how Yoder is going to handle the "fix" for current Cheyenne / Wichita owners.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #86
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

I wonder what Yoder forum employee "Yoder_Herb" will have to say about the new FACTORY modifications....after having told one and all that any problems involving fire-and-a-Cheyenne are, and exclusively.....the operators fault. That, and one has to make sure to burn only extra-special kiln dried wood. That, and one has to (constantly) rotate the entire cooker so the air intake will face directly into the wind. It all speaks to credibility.

That said, I applaud Yoder for making improvements to this line of smokers. I hope it will now join the ranks of other great-functioning Yoder cookers!
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #87
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL View Post
I wonder what Yoder forum employee "Yoder_Herb" will have to say about the new FACTORY modifications....after having told one and all that any problems involving fire-and-a-Cheyenne are, and exclusively.....the operators fault. That, and one has to make sure to burn only extra-special kiln dried wood. That, and one has to (constantly) rotate the entire cooker so the air intake will face directly into the wind. It all speaks to credibility.

That said, I applaud Yoder for making improvements to this line of smokers. I hope it will now join the ranks of other great-functioning Yoder cookers!
This is something I had to do CONSTANTLY with my Cheyenne and it was such a pain. I still suspect that even with a new damper the rotating of the entire pit will still be necessary.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #88
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Check out the build process these pits go through!

Old 09-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #89
slamkeys

I remember watching that video when I first became interested in a Yoder. It gave me the impression that they were using the most high-tech equipment for building the offsets too, but when I called Yoder about ordering my offset they told me the offsets were all cut and fabricated by hand.

I almost bought a YS640, but the electrical components were a deal breaker for me because of frequent power outages and rainy weather around here. I see now that Yoder has been hyper-focused on the pellet cookers because that's where the real consumer demand is. The Yoder Facebook page is packed with posts from pellet cooker owners, and Don Cary acknowledges the YS640 as his top seller:

Quote:
What’s your best-selling grill? Probably our most well-known grill has become the YS640 Pellet Grill. That grill is the right size, the right price and the right ease of use. It just gives you fantastic flavor.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #90
Melt In The Sun
Knows what a fatty is.

Don't all offsets have issues if wind blows from the stack end to the firebox end? Intake insufficiency aside...that doesn't seem like a Yoder issue.
Melt In The Sun is offline   Reply With Quote