2nd annual MAK Brethren Group Buy deal is almost here :)

Anyone have any questions? (Not related to the Mini-MAK :p) The window is short this year, so might as well ask them in advance.

I can tell you that 4 full sized/medium depth hotel pans will fit on the 2 Star when using the upper grates. Is that what you are asking?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/we...e-pan-medium-depth-2-3-16-case/612780070.html

Yessir, that's exactly right. The dimensions for those pans you linked seem too big for the grate dimensions on the Mak site, so that's good to know it would work.

16-scaled.jpg
I can tell you that 4 full sized/medium depth hotel pans will fit on the 2 Star when using the upper grates. Is that what you are asking?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/we...e-pan-medium-depth-2-3-16-case/612780070.html

What are the primary differences between the MAK 1 star and MAK 2 star?

What are the primary differences between the MAK 1 star and MAK 2 star?

The 2 Star will provide you with:
-All 304 SS cooking chamber
-Side cold smoke/warming box
-Additional rails allowing up to 3 upper grates
-A little additional clearance under the lid due to the rounded shape vs 45° angles of the 1 Star

Both are phenomenal cookers though!

I'm still new here but one of the best things I've seen so far is the fact that during the last group buy MAK asked that no reveal the prices and every single person complied. I can't think of a single place, in real life or on the internet, where I've seen so many people willing to respect someone else's wishes. Kudos, brethren.

For those wondering about accessories, I started out with the 2* and a couple extra racks. I then added the front shelf, which I absolutely love and the searing grates. I have used my Mak more often for grilling than for smoking. It gets to 450* and these grates are a nice touch. I then added the front door, well, it wasn't necessary, but it does look better and it is a nicer storage space beneath. To boost the economy I purchased the mobile system as a luxury item. I didn't think I'd like this item as much as I do. I can add recipes, program, and check/change temperatures from my computer rather than going out in the snow. Sweet. I also have the super-smoker box (thanks Robb), which unfortunately, I have not had the occasion to use because we haven't been entertaining like we're accustomed. The built-in box smoker box was one of the selling features that hooked me and is enough for the three of us currently at home.

The time is near...I didn’t pull the trigger last year, really thinking about it this year. I know this question has been asked and asked, I just haven’t seen it asked recently (since things were updated).

If I don’t care about searing/grilling, is the 2 Star worth the extra cost over the 1 Star?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The time is near...I didn’t pull the trigger last year, really thinking about it this year. I know this question has been asked and asked, I just haven’t seen it asked recently (since things were updated).

If I don’t care about searing/grilling, is the 2 Star worth the extra cost over the 1 Star?

Take a look at reply #24 above. That’s most of what you’re paying for on the 2 Star. Many find it worth the extra cost, and some don’t. Keep in mind you’ll also have a right shelf and lower shelf on the 2 Star whereas you will not with the 1 Star without purchasing them. You can’t make a bad or wrong choice IMO... ya just have to figure out what’s important to YOU and go for it :)

Sorry, one other question...what is the smoke output like at 275? For me, the big knock on other pellet cookers I’ve used (not Maks), is that you really only get a lot of smoke flavor when cooking at 225 and down (if not using a tube). Is that the same with the Mak? I know I won’t get the same smoke I get on my offset at 275-300, but I’d like to get close. Thanks again all. If the Maks for you, this group buy is a great deal! Thanks Robb!

Sorry, one other question...what is the smoke output like at 275? For me, the big knock on other pellet cookers I’ve used (not Maks), is that you really only get a lot of smoke flavor when cooking at 225 and down (if not using a tube). Is that the same with the Mak? I know I won’t get the same smoke I get on my offset at 275-300, but I’d like to get close. Thanks again all. If the Maks for you, this group buy is a great deal! Thanks Robb!

Ask all the questions you want buddy… now is the perfect time :)

Very familiar with what you are talking about. Used to have an old school US made Traeger.

With the MAK’s variable speed fan and the way the Pellet Boss handles the fire, you will see excellent smoke production into the low 300’s. Really hoping others will chime in on this one so you know I ain’t blowing smoke... lol.

Grilling and searing capabilities should actually be the same. Some details on the 1 star on their site are a bit dated, but I’m pretty sure 1 star has flame zone, pellet dump and roaming RTD now.

2 Star gets you stainless cook box, warmer/cold smoker, and more vertical cooking space with 4 rack slots and less slope at the top.

EDIT: Robb’s responses above showed up after I clicked post, sorry.

Very familiar with what you are talking about. Used to have an old school US made Traeger.

With the MAK’s variable speed fan and the way the Pellet Boss handles the fire, you will see excellent smoke production into the low 300’s. Really hoping others will chime in on this one so you know I ain’t blowing smoke... lol.

My 1* produces fantastic smoke across the entire temp range. I recently switched doing wings in my kettle with a vortex to my MAK set at 400. Remove the smoke plates and grill on top rack. My wife commented the first time that they have more smoke/grill flavor than the kettle and said she wanted them on the MAK from now on. Sold the kettle and never looked back. Remove the smoke plates and buy a set of grill grates. It will sear and grill better than any gas cooker. I’d sell my gasser today, but it’s the only cooker I own that has the rotisserie attachment. Pellet choice plays a big part of the smoke flavor. While the MAK will chew through any pellet, my family enjoys lumberjack. The flavor is spot on, gets hotter than “cheaper brands” and burns a bit longer. There are other great pellet brands out there as well, but that will influence the smoke profile.

Grilling and searing capabilities should actually be the same. Some details on the 1 star on their site are a bit dated, but I’m pretty sure 1 star has flame zone, pellet dump and roaming RTD now.

2 Star gets you stainless cook box, warmer/cold smoker, and more vertical cooking space with 4 rack slots and less slope at the top.

EDIT: Robb’s responses above showed up after I clicked post, sorry.

Thanks. You’re right, their website is out of date. Read the descriptions on Big Poppa Smokers. With the FlameZone standard, roaming RTD and the pellet dump, there are less differences between the two. Obviously the 2 Star upgrades the materials being used, has a bit more vertical room and that side smoke box. Excited to see what the group buy discount will be. I’ll probably be looking at the 1 Star.

Thanks Robb. This is all really helpful. For me, the 1 Star seems to be right. Both look great though and I’ve only seen positive reviews

Back