New Challenges suggestions?

jemcgriff

Reaction score
So, currently, my "smoker" is my 22 inch Weber Kettle with a slow n sear, which I'm ok with right now.

Because of covid, I can only realistically some things that my wife and I can eat, or eat a healthy portion of and only have to freeze a minimal amount. So I can't do something like a full brisket, only a flat or point.

I have smoked a pork butt, pork ribs, a chuck roast, and even a turkey. (and all the of the hot and fast staples like steaks, burgers and dogs)

What would you suggest as a new challenge, or a new take on something I have already done?

Thanks!

Lamb and fish are things that aren’t on your list of what you’ve cooked. You could try taking a pork butt and making pork steaks. Have you ever done beef ribs?

Lamb and fish are things that aren’t on your list of what you’ve cooked. You could try taking a pork butt and making pork steaks. Have you ever done beef ribs?

Opps, you are right, I didn't mention fish. I have done salmon on cedar planks before.

On the pork butt/pork steaks, do you mean steaks cut from the pork shoulder?

I actually see beef short ribs on sale at my local grocery store, so thinking of doing those this weekend.

Last edited:
California tri-tip tacos

1. Slather with Worcestershire and rub with coarse salt and pepper
2. Cook at 225°F until the meat reaches 135°F internal
3. Sear
4. Slice against the grain
5. Enjoy in flour tortillas with pico, avacado, lime, and cilantro

Bean
Chili
Enchiladas
Pork Tenderloin
Fish
Shell Fish
Mac N Cheese
Meat Loaf
Bologna - Then make smoked bologna sandwiches
Pork Bellie
Smoked Bacon
Smoked fattie

Do you have a vortex? Vortex wings are amazing. I also use it to cook a lot of Asian food with a wok.

If not, marinated chicken thighs for tacos is a weeknight staple at my house.

Do you have a vortex? Vortex wings are amazing. I also use it to cook a lot of Asian food with a wok.

If not, marinated chicken thighs for tacos is a weeknight staple at my house.

A vortex is on my wish list of items, lol. I have heard it does really well with wings though!

California tri-tip tacos

1. Slather with Worcestershire and rub with coarse salt and pepper
2. Cook at 225°F until the meat reaches 135°F internal
3. Sear
4. Slice against the grain
5. Enjoy in flour tortillas with pico, avacado, lime, and cilantro

I've read you can cook a tri-tip like a brisket!

Beef short ribs (plate cut). Leftovers make great tacos.
Pork Belly for sure.
Have your butcher cut pork shoulder into 1" steaks. Rub and smoke until tender (around internal 195-200). Basically pork steaks. Also makes great tacos (corn tortilla, avocado, pickled red onion)

I love pulled lamb shoulder - beautiful flavours (also a cheaper cut of lamb here in the UK).

I'd also recommend both/either ox and pork cheeks - both amazing flavours (one of my favs) but easier to portion for fewer people compared to a big cut.

Huli huli chicken. Then more huli huli chcken.

Back