MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 AM   #31
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

That looks neat.
I bought the materials for the base of a pompeii/wood fired oven over 6 months ago.
Just not had a good weekend on weather (and not being busy) to get anything done!
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #32
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Looking good Jed. At least the heavy lifting is done, can't wait to see the final product.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #33
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Looking good Jed. At least the heavy lifting is done, can't wait to see the final product.
Hernia inducing action! LOL

Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #34
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Nice! Dang nice!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #35
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredApron View Post
I am setting the oven on insolated blocks and have a double layer of insulation over refractory cement and then chicken wire and stucco with pearlite. Should retain the heat quite well. Thanks for looking out for me!
Ok good, if you can get ceramic fiber insulation i would use that, its insulating properties are much better than pearlite, you will need alot more pearlite to reach the insulation Heat retention. Just my 2cents

Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #36
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

any reason you not using firebricks instead of insulated blocks?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #37
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtastico View Post
any reason you not using firebricks instead of insulated blocks?

Insulated blocks are for insulation, under the actual floor/hearth of the oven.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #38
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Insulated blocks are for insulation, under the actual floor/hearth of the oven.
do they store heat better than firebricks?
My oven wont be pre-cast, it will all be made from firebricks, but if I can save some money by using insulating blocks, then im all ears

Old 05-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #39
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtastico View Post
do they store heat better than firebricks?
My oven wont be pre-cast, it will all be made from firebricks, but if I can save some money by using insulating blocks, then im all ears
Do not confuse insulation blocks with firebricks, they two totally different things. Insulation blocks are to insulate, firebricks are for retaining heat and constructing the oven. Check out the fornobravo website for more info.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #40
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, it should be beer thirty in Jedville. Where you at, Jed? Looking good so far!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #41
rifraf
On the road to being a farker

I'm jealous... I want one!! One day, i keep telling myself. i will be following this one for sure!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #42
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Man, I want one of these one day! Looking good, Jed!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #43
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Do not confuse insulation blocks with firebricks, they two totally different things. Insulation blocks are to insulate, firebricks are for retaining heat and constructing the oven. Check out the fornobravo website for more info.
yes, I know that - Hence my original question - if there was a reason to use insulation blocks instead of firebricks - as I was wondering if the pre-cast have no need for a firebrick base.

Insulation blocks are about 6x the size of firebricks here & about 1/2 the cost.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #44
matadorbait
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm not sure what an "insulation block" is. I used k-23 insulating fire brick for my smoker FB and loose perlite with chicken wire for my WFO. I think the two things I would do differently are: ceramic blanket instead of chickenwire and perlite to get the maximum insulation, and less thermal mass in the hearth (I had 3" of clay and 2.5" of regular firebrick)--I would put the firebrick hearth directly on insulation (maybe an aluminum foil vapor barrier).

Have fun. The best part of WFO + smoker is you can burn anything: pine or other stuff in the WFO for heat, then just one or two cooking wood splits for pizza. I'll be getting a magnolia trunk shortly. No idea if its good for smoking, but I don't care--I'll burn it one way or another.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #45
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Can't wait to see it done Jed!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote