MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #31
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

My Dad had a nice Ducane gas grill outside and a built in gas grill in the kitchen, he designed the house. We were a gas grillin' family. When I moved out with my girlfriend(now wife), I went to the BBQ's Galore store and bought the Ducane gas demonstrator/floor model, $300 30 years ago, a lot of money for me back then. I still have it, and my Dad's, waiting for restoration.
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

First gas grill: PGS K40
First charcoal grill: Weber Smokey Joe
First smoker: Mini WSM

Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

First grill - 22.5 Weber I got in '93 that I still have and cook on. First smoker was an ECB with the electric element. Piece o'crap but I didn't care - my wife and friends and I had what we thought were a lot of great meals off that thing. As soon as I moved from an apartment to a house with a yard I got a NBBD. By that point I was very happy to let the ECB go.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

First grill was a gasser. First smoker was a gas grill modified for indirect cooking....I did some very good cooks on that setup also a few mistakes. I now have the gasser, a Bradley digital Jim Beam model, a New Braunfels cheapo, a 22.5 OTG Kettle, a Akorn, a cinder block pit and a metal fire pit with a cooking rack.

If I were to pick only one to have.....the Kettle. No second thought there as it does it all.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #35
Bdub
Knows what a fatty is.

First smoker was a Masterbuilt gasser. Put out some decent pork butts and ribs on it but never could get the smoke flavor I wanted. It has been retired and in storage for 6 years and just last week gave it to my oldest son so he can start his bbq quest.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #36
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

First grill was an 18.5 Weber kettle my dad gave me in the mid 70's when he upgraded to the larger kettle. I still have it and just used it at the cabin last weekend.

1st smoker was an ECB with an electric element. It didn't like Minnesota weather and I ruined some meat and fish with it. Rusted out, tossed it, bought a WSM and never looked back.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #37
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
My first grill was very similar to this one. I liked that you could raise and lower the charcoal grate three diferent levels from the cooking grate.
this except mine was green, "the green weenie" my wife bought me a gasser, didn't have storage for two, gave the green weenie to a friend before I figured out I hated gas. Got it back from its third owner a couple years later and used it till its legs fell off.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #38
agoldswo
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Goldy

Grew up using an 18" weber Kettle, it finally rusted out after being nearly 35 years old, bought a Weber Performer about 6 years ago, love it. Just started getting into smoking and experimenting with different things. Currently building a UDS, and hope to build a brick oven in the future.
agoldswo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
BeerBQ
On the road to being a farker

I started with something like this a few years ago:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-G...ndingMethod=rr

I didn't quite know what I was doing and used matchlight charcoal. A friend gave me an old portable type grill that I used to light charcoal on then add to my bigger grill when the lighter fluid burnt off. Throw some mesquite chips on there and pack it on one half with a pork picnic on the other side and it wasn't too bad for a poor college student.

I replaced it after over 2 years when the charcoal pan (not a grate, just a metal sheet) burnt through in a few spots.
I've upgraded slightly to a Smokey Joe and one of these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kingsford-...Grill/15907741
BeerBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #40
WiscoKid
Knows what a fatty is.

I started out with some off brand 18" kettle grill, and the rest is history=)
WiscoKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #41
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

First grill: Weber Silver Gasser
First smoker: Weber Smokey Mountain
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #42
SimcoBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Brinkman that my brother picked up on a Sunday morning coming in from Saturday night , he also had a couple of whole chickens. Needless to say I had to cook em!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #43
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

The first I remember (50+ years ago) was a hibachi, kind of what Lodge sells now-about an 8"X16" oval cast iron when was a kid in K-Bay MCAS, Hawaii. Either that or just a hole in the ground lined with lava rocks & banana leaves.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Not mine but one like this. Circa 1970
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #45
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile My first Smoker

My first Smoker was a New Braunfelds Black Diamond. The second was a Bandera which would change my life. I found the Bandera Brethren ( to become the BBQ Brethren) and souped up both smokers. In our second competition we came in 5th amongst the best in New England at Lyme Rock, CT. Some of the teams we competed against were competing nationally with good results. I stayed up all night and put charcoal in each and every hour, and went through a microburst. After turn in a number of teams asked if we wanted to upgrade to one of their fancy cookers. When the awards came out we got 2nd in Chicken (second highest score for NEBS that year),
Third in Brisket and 4th in Beef Ribs. They said...keep doing what your doing!

That was 2007 and I went on to cook with Nancee and Greg of Purple Turtles at the American Royal Invitational and Open. IQue got 1st in Brisket at the Open...

I still think I cooked best on those back yard Smokers.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote