• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Used 22"wsm or new Acorn

tajt7757

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm puzzled about this choice. I want a vertical smoker and I'm torn between to two. Found a like new 22" wsm on Craigslist for 250. Or an acorn for 299.
Has anyone found the acorns on sale anywhere?

BBQ quandary !

What other smokers and grills do you have? The WSM is primarily a smoker while the Acorn is more versatile, but has less capacity.

I purchased two Akorn's after the 4th of July at Kroger for $149.00 each. I have one still in the box on the floor of my garage.

the WSM will produce some of the best food you have ever cooked. low and slow or hot and fast. the WSM is a winner. :clap:

I have a 25 year old Oklahoma joe offset that smokes a mean piece of meat with lots of attention. Have a weber performer , holland grill , weber gasser. As you can see a need another smoker.

I like my WSM, however I only use it for big cooks. My Eggs, XL, Med & Small have become my everyday cookers. The Akorn, from what I gather, is very similar to the eggs. I would probably go for that because the versatility is better, but the volume is less. Check JMSetzler's stuff on this forum, he did a few videos about the Akorn.

Yak you got a great deal on the acorn for 149.
I live in Dallas. I have only seen them at Lowes.
I don't know if they ever put them on sale.
Hav I think your right the 22 wsm is a large cooker and I would probably get more use from a smaller acorn.

$250 is a good price for a like new 22 1/2" WSM (they are $399 new). If you can negotiate it down a bit, it would be even better.

I have both an 18 1/2" and a 22 1/2" WSM, what more can I say? :p

Bob

I have both an 18 1/2" and a 22 1/2" WSM, what more can I say? :p

Bob

Sorry to the op but i need too ask bob something. Bob is there a big differenc between the 18.5 to the 22.5 other them more room on the 22.5

one thing is to remember the portability issue. if you have plans to move it then the weber is better.

A lot depends on who you are cooking for. I have an 18.5" WSM, a performer, + 3 kettles, and have been cooking on Webers for 30+ years. Since I bought my Akorn in March I haven't used any of them. Mainly I cook for just my wife and myself.

Some advantages of the Akorn are they are not as susceptible to wind and cold. Because of the design I feel comfortable having it on a wooden deck off of my kitchen without worrying about causing a fire. And it is a fuel miser.

Like others have said, the WSM is a fantastic vertical smoker, but won't help you grill.

If your goal is to have a larger capacity smoker and already have a kettle or similar for grilling, go WSM.

If you want a do-it-all cooker and are less concerned about volume or capacity, consider the Acorn and be ready to modify it if you find it has significant air leaks, per brethren JMSeltzer's Man Cave Meals YouTube tutorials.

Back