MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #31
PCFisher66
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
I've been looking at getting a grinder & slicer as well. Are those of you with the Kitchenaid grinder attachment happy with it for small purposes? I don't hunt or anything, so I wouldn't be grinding huge amounts at a time. I'd mainly use it for sausage making and grinding my own burgers.

As others have said, it's good for doing a few lbs at a time. I enlisted the help of my wife, as i would put in the chunks of meat she would use the plunger to push in down.

Tod

Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #32
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

To me the line is drawn on slicers by whether they have a built-in sharpener, quality manual and parts support. To me that means buying an old commercial slicer and reconditioning it. I've been rebuilding machine tools as a hobby since the '80s anyway, how hard can a slicer be?

Anyway, to skip ahead, I bought a Globe 725L off craigslist locally for $200. The guy was a bozo who thought you lubricated everything with vegetable oil (which dries GUMMY) so it was not only pretty marginally working in manual mode only, but completely filthy. But that's a screaming deal for a 12" commercial slicer, so I started working on it. Along the way I bought the carcass of a Globe 825L so I could take it apart and learn how to do it, since there is no service manual in existence for those machines. Anyway, I'm getting close to being done and still haven't spent any more money on the 725L, just a bunch of time. But the autofeed works perfectly now, and the outside of the machine is clean and shiny.

Anyway, I would skip all those little Chinese slicers and simply hunt for a complete (make sure it has all the parts 'cuz replacement parts are *really* expensive) commercial slicer.

In my area there's an automatic Hobart 1712 missing one foot and missing the meat carriage, which the guy has listed for $399 but I'm certain he'd take $200 and maybe a lot less.

Of course, big commercial slicers are, well, big. They weigh like 140 pounds and occupy about the same volume of space as a 19" CRT television from the '80s. Big.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #33
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

I was going to recommend the Kitchen Aid with attachments. There are always used ones on CL. Speaking of CL, check the business section for a slicer. I picked up a commercial slicer in very good condition for $125. It retails for $1700.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #34
Cajunator
Knows what a fatty is.

I got one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Product%20Page just last week. I haven't had time to use it yet but, I plan to do so this weekend. It replaced the Northern Tool branded item. Same thing actually with maybe slight improvements if any.
I have a Cabela's 3/4 hp for big jobs but, wanted something better than the Kitchenaid for grinding my own beef(burgers). I got mine practically free using points I had accumulated. Check Amazon.com for their prices. Gotta consider shipping too.
Cajunator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Deni 3500, Edgecraft 610, grinder, meat, slicer