• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BGT= Big Green Tandoor?

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
One of the reasons why I lusted after a BGE for so long was the vision I had of it as a BGT. Its a similar concept as a tandoor in terms of material and airflow etc, so I thought, why not?

Just as brisket seems to be the nemesis of most 'cue cooks, seekh kababs are the nemesis of tandoor cooks. Its basically ground meat (generally goat, but beef also counts), seasoned with spices, molded onto metal skewers and cooked in a tandoor. The issue is that the darn things fall off the skewers and end up in the coals - not for seasoned cooks like those at Karim's in New Delhi and other less exalted joints, but for dumbar$ses like myself. The meat starts cooking, the fat starts melting and the things just jump off the skewers into the fire. You can try different binders to hold the meat together like wheat flour, gram flour (besan) and even eggs, but the proportion has to be just right or else you taste those things in the seekh kababs. I had taken a break from seekh kababs for a while, since I can do other things which much better results, but every 2 years or so, the bug bites me and i try again. And that's how we come to today's adventure.

I usually use a mix from the Indian stores (Shan spices seekh kabab mix), but today i wanted to take off from scratch. So I roasted some spices in a skillet - white poppy seeds, cashews, caraway seeds, mace, carom seeds, fennel seeds, dried fenugreek leaves, and crushed red chile.
IMAG1102.jpg

IMAG1103.jpg

Once they were dry roasted, I let them cool then ground them in a coffee grinder which I keep dedicated for spices. Added cardamom powder, garam masala powder, salt, pepper, chopped green chiles, ginger paste, garlic paste and ground veal.

IMAG1104.jpg

IMAG1107.jpg

Let that all get friendly in the refrigerator, while I fired up the LBGE.
IMAG1110-1.jpg

Part of the reason for today's adventure was to try making seekh kababs with a couple of different types of skewers I have - homemade ones which I fabbed myself out of 1/4" steel from HD several years ago and 1" wide Persian style skewers which i bought at a Middle Eastern store here in Houston a few years ago. Loaded up some of the meat mix on one of the homemade skewers when the egg hit about 400°F and things looked they were off to a promising start.
IMAG1113-1.jpg

Until a few minutes later, when I peeked in through the top vent and saw a nekkid skewer! Carp! Salvaged the kabab that had jumped off from the skewer into the coal and sampled it. Tasted farkin awesome! Flavor profile was spot on for a seekh kabab.

Fueled by beer and ambition, I set off to put plan B in motion- placed the cooking grate in the egg and went to mold some meat onto one of the Persian skewers and these kabab baskets i bought a while back, knowing that some day I would want to try seekh kababs again. The basket can hold a sausage shaped piece of meat, without worrying about it falling into the coals. kind of like a "McRib" mod ( I am embarrassed to say that).
IMAG1114-1.jpg

Set things up in a "trapeze" configuration i.e. piece of foil under the Persian skewer so that if the meat fell off it would hit the foil on the grate and all would not be lost. Rested the baskets on the grate, with the wood handles outside the egg.
IMAG1116-1.jpg

Turns out that I didn't need the trapeze setup. The kabab stayed put on the wider seekhs. Now I know which ones to use next time.
IMAG1122-1.jpg

IMAG1123.jpg

While the egg had been heating up, I made some dough for "stick naans". How could I make seekh kababs without naans? Since I couldn;t make them the usual way (sticking to the wall of tandoor) I tried Raichlens Planet Barbecue recipe for Armenian Stick Bread.
IMAG1125.jpg

The bread came out pretty darn good. Cooked 3-4 mins per side. Very nice slightly sweet yeasty flavor. Nice chewy exterior, fluffy soft interior. I will definitely make these again.
IMAG1127.jpg

IMAG1129.jpg

A plated shot. I know the seekh kabab looks like something else, but they were very tasty.
IMAG1130.jpg

Dinner was a hodge podge of things - leftover tzatziki sauce, Ethiopian food leftovers, seekh kababs, and stick naans. It all tasted fantastic though, and I think seekh kababs are back in my repertoire. Next time I will mix in some lamb though, since I think the flavor will be even better.

Thanks for looking!

For the next tandoor experiment I'm going to try sliding in the skewers from the top vent to mimic a traditional tandoor. As soon as I figure out how to consistently get the BGE temps up to 600+.

For the next tandoor experiment I'm going to try sliding in the skewers from the top vent to mimic a traditional tandoor. As soon as I figure out how to consistently get the BGE temps up to 600+.

There may be something you can pick up from this attempt at using a BGE for a tandoor oven.

http://www.foodnotfiller.com/?p=5

I wonder if there might be a way to leave the top open and find or make a suitable open top cap to sit right on top of the BGE gasket? Perhaps a flower pot with the bottom cut out. Sure would solve the naan problem.

Last edited:
I use Raichlen's recipe for Naan and cook it right on the cooking grate. have done it on both the gasser and the weber kettle. I'm sure that you could cook them on the bge grate too. Just don't walk away... they are easy to burn.

I use Raichlen's recipe for Naan and cook it right on the cooking grate. have done it on both the gasser and the weber kettle. I'm sure that you could cook them on the bge grate too. Just don't walk away... they are easy to burn.

Cooking them on a pizza stone might be closest to the traditional way of making naans, but that's a good tip and I might try it. Thanks.

There may be something you can pick up from this attempt at using a BGE for a tandoor oven.

http://www.foodnotfiller.com/?p=5

I wonder if there might be a way to leave the top open and find or make a suitable open top cap to sit right on top of the BGE gasket? Perhaps a flower pot with the bottom cut out. Sure would solve the naan problem.
Thanks for the link. I searched and checked out some blogs, etc by folks who have had the same thought I had, and it seems that the BGE can be used very similarly to a tandoor. Can't wait to try this!

This. I make naan pretty frequently right on the grates, along with some killer chicken tikkas on the Akorn. The naan turns out great cooking it right on the grates. I use Raichlen's recipe, too.

I do Kubideh kabob all the time.....I usually use the flat metal skewer and rest them on the top of the lower bowl and shut the lid ontop of the shewer.

I do Kubideh kabob all the time.....I usually use the flat metal skewer and rest them on the top of the lower bowl and shut the lid ontop of the shewer.

Yup that's what I did too. It works great.

Ok, now I am hanging for some Indian food. Looks great! Always love seeing what you make!

I lived in Chicago for several years (moved in 2006) and miss the Indian restos. Houston has mediocre Indian/Pakistani restos. You, sir, have the luxury of having awesome Indian and Pakistani food close by. Aside from places on Devon and some in the Western 'burbs, for an adventure try these 2 in the city:

Baba's Palace @ 334 West Chicago

Pakizah @ 1011 North Orleans

Both are somewhat divey, but Baba's is the more "upscale" of the 2 in relative terms. Both are open 24/7 and cater mainly to cab drivers. The food at both is kinda greasy spoon type fare, but oh so good! If you're taking the wife and kids then Baba's is the better choice and I would go during the daytime.

I lived in Chicago for several years (moved in 2006) and miss the Indian restos. Houston has mediocre Indian/Pakistani restos. You, sir, have the luxury of having awesome Indian and Pakistani food close by. Aside from places on Devon and some in the Western 'burbs, for an adventure try these 2 in the city:

Baba's Palace @ 334 West Chicago

Pakizah @ 1011 North Orleans

Both are somewhat divey, but Baba's is the more "upscale" of the 2 in relative terms. Both are open 24/7 and cater mainly to cab drivers. The food at both is kinda greasy spoon type fare, but oh so good! If you're taking the wife and kids then Baba's is the better choice and I would go during the daytime.

I have been by Baba's a bunch of times.

Next time I will stop in!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358302053.078147.jpg

Nice!

I lived with 3 Indian (like exchange student/FOB Indians) dudes for a few years in college (we met freshman year and lived together the next three years).

I was the resident cook, but they provided the spices that their mothers sent them. I spent 3 years learning how to make Indian food. I love it! I still make dahl three or four times a week and have my wife hooked on it.

The would have skewered me for serving hem a cow BTW! One was a total veg and the other two only ate chicken with the exception on one. When he would get drunk he loved to eat sausage. He loved sausage, but only drunk....

I've wondered, in the opposite direction, what kind of q this would make.

https://www.homdoor.com/index.php/

The UDT was the first cooker I ever built myself. I stumbled upon the UDS concept on the internet 2 years later, and wondered whether my tandoor could be used to cook other types of 'cue. The basic issue is that a tandoor is supposed to run b@lls-to-the-wall hot... no scope really for temp regulation. I guess you could regulate temperature by building a tandoor with a bottom intake that can be sealed, and a top that can be sealed. At that point you're basically talking about a ceramic cooker and may as well look at a BGE, Kamado Joe, Primo etc, which will be more versatile ( with some accessories).

But for discussion sake, there's nothing to stop one from skewering a steak on a 40" seekh and searing it in the tandoor. I've thought about doing that myself :grin:

Back