MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C
Default Fajita help needed!

Hi y’all. I have an embarrassing admission that I am going to share: I can’t make fajitas. As an avid griller/smoker, this is unfortunate. As a born-and-raised Texan, it is downright shameful. I come before you today to seek your help and advice on how to remedy this situation.

My problem is that I do not understand the cut of meat. I just don’t get beef skirt steak. Sometimes it comes out somewhat ok (but never delicious or awesome). Other times, it is like chewing on a tire, with a weird, gamey flavor. My results are so random that I’ve struggled to find a pattern or correlation. With most meats, there are certain steps you follow, and things you look for that indicate how you should cook that particular meat (i.e. trimming the flap on the back of a rack of ribs, or wiggling the drumstick on a whole chicken to see if it’s tender). I have NO dang idea how to do fajitas. I guess I’ll start by sharing my usual process.

1) Buy skirt steak that is neither too thin nor too thick.
2) Try and trim as much of the fat/silver skin as possible
3) Pound it with a meat tenderizing hammer
4) Marinate overnight in a mixture of beer/Italian dressing/Fiesta Brand Mesquite Fajita Seasoning
5) Sear it quickly direct over a blazing hot mesquite coal bed
6) Move it to indirect and let it come up to roughly medium/medium rare (this is dang hard for me to guess on a thin cut of meat but I usually at least get this part right)
7) Let it sit for 20-30 minutes then slice against the grain

What do I need to be doing differently? Does anyone else have difficulty with fajitas? Help please!
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ribeyes or new York strip plus bone in chicken thigh meat

Old 09-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Don't pound it, don't marinate it overnight either. It's so thin already that it might be getting tough from the vinegar in the dressing.

Just sear it about 3 minutes a side and let it rest a few minutes.

Are you slicing across the grain? That makes all the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcUsLqgFlDQ
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Ribeyes or new York strip plus bone in chicken thigh meat
Yeah, I'm with him. Skirt has approached or exceeded the cost of actual steak cuts here in many cases...don't get me wrong I like skirt steak but ribeyes make for much better fajitas IMO, all else being equal.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

You're doing too much.

1) Buy skirt steak that is neither too thin nor too thick. Nope. Just buy a piece.
2) Try and trim as much of the fat/silver skin as possible OK, but there shouldn't be any silver skin.
3) Pound it with a meat tenderizing hammer. NO NO NO NO leave it alone.
4) Marinate overnight in a mixture of beer/Italian dressing/Fiesta Brand Mesquite Fajita Seasoning Use TonyBel's carne asada recipe. This should only marinate for a few hours. Overnight will rubberize the meat.
6) Move it to indirect and let it come up to roughly medium/medium rare (this is dang hard for me to guess on a thin cut of meat but I usually at least get this part right)
7) Let it sit for 20-30 minutes then slice against the grain. It's a piece of beef. 5 minutes.

Here is a piece of skirt, non-pounded, 3 hour marinated, cooked on a Blackstone (I went a little over):

Not only should you cut across the grain, but your should cut it an an angle. Hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

I saw SmokinJohn mention TonyBel's Carne Asada Recipe. Here's a link for quick reference.

Highly recommended. It's absolutely delicious.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
I saw SmokinJohn mention TonyBel's Carne Asada Recipe. Here's a link for quick reference.

Highly recommended. It's absolutely delicious.
Thanks for posting that recipe, I'll try that soon.

On another note, I saw some members on that old thread that are still here=George.
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

1) Buy skirt steak that is neither too thin nor too thick. Don't go to that much trouble.
2) Try and trim as much of the fat/silver skin as possible There's no silver skin, just the hard fat and the stringy tissue
3) Pound it with a meat tenderizing hammer NO NO NO
4) Marinate overnight in a mixture of beer/Italian dressing/Fiesta Brand Mesquite Fajita Seasoning Get rid of the Italian dressing Whoever thought that a sour Italian flavor makes beef taste good should be shot. No beer. Bolner's stuff is good. Shake enough to your taste, let it marinate in a ziplock for about 4 hours
7) Let it sit for 20-30 minutes then slice against the grain Nope it's ready to eat without resting. Agree that sometimes the meat is more tender if you slice it at a 45 degree angle to the grain

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

I gave up long ago. If I want fajitas, I go to Pappasito's here in the Houston area.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
16Adams

Do they still have that giant arse taco?

Old 09-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Thanks, y'all. Wow, I had no idea how horribly wrong I was going about my preparation.

I'm going to give them another go soon with that recipe y'all linked to.

Edit: I also realized that I call pretty much every connective-tissue like substance "silver skin", haha.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
You're doing too much.

1) Buy skirt steak that is neither too thin nor too thick. Nope. Just buy a piece.
2) Try and trim as much of the fat/silver skin as possible OK, but there shouldn't be any silver skin.
3) Pound it with a meat tenderizing hammer. NO NO NO NO leave it alone.
4) Marinate overnight in a mixture of beer/Italian dressing/Fiesta Brand Mesquite Fajita Seasoning Use TonyBel's carne asada recipe. This should only marinate for a few hours. Overnight will rubberize the meat.
7) Let it sit for 20-30 minutes then slice against the grain. It's a piece of beef. 5 minutes.

Here is a piece of skirt, non-pounded, 3 hour marinated, cooked on a Blackstone (I went a little over):

Not only should you cut across the grain, but your should cut it an an angle. Hope this helps.
Not to contradict, but that my friend looks like Flank Steak, not Skirt Steak.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #13
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

I thought so as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
Not to contradict, but that my friend looks like Flank Steak, not Skirt Steak.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

So, you gents "have a beef" with the previous post? It was a gross mis-steak?
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
LYU370

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post

Ain't never seen a skirt that looks like that? The ones I get are about 2 feet long. Maybe a different cut? Flank maybe?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote