• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sausage

etxbbq

Reaction score
What sausage are you guys using for catering? I have tried several, but haven't settled on one that I'm really impressed with. All of those that I have used have come from Restaurant Depot as I buy in bulk majority of the time. I have tried Springhill Farms (hot and reg), Slovacek's (Reg and Jalapeno) and J Bar B. Slovacek's has been the front runner at 3.65 a pound, which is better than 5.99 a pound for Opal's and Southside at the local grocery.

Price point, Slovacek's isn't too bad, under a dollar a serving, however it's just not where I want it to be. Any recommendations?

I have never known anyone legitimately in business that doesn't make sausage in house, it's the single best margin maker on anyone's books per pound.

How much are you selling on average every quarter?

I am strictly a catering company. I cater the Christmas, Thanksgiving and Employee Appreciation Luncheons for various schools and government entities in the DFW area. Sausage wise I only sell around 800 pounds a quarter. Brisket, ribs and boudin are king in this area. Event wise, it's mainly Turkey Legs. If I had a stick and brick set up, I guess I would look into becoming a legitimate company, however I am not, nor do I wish to go through the inspection process to do that. I'll stick to my commissary and government projects.

Have you talked to a local butcher who make sausage in their shop if you can get a wholesale price? Keeps you from having to make it and if you're buying enough they can justify giving you a discount. Depending on how well you work with them they may make your custom recipe.

As a side question. You have a commissary but don't go through the inspection process? In my area with a commissary you still have to have an inspection and your own health dept license.

My trailer was inspected, and I can use it as my commissary. For parties over 400 I use the commercial kitchen at my church. If that's not available I will rent the kitchen at my local civic center.

Imma hit up Rendon Meats today. Good idea on looking at a butcher for it.

Back