Searching for a first smoker

jsmorrow2s

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi Brethren,

I mainly came to this forum looking for THE BEST smoker for the money, but found that this forum is way much more than that. I have enjoyed pouring over tips, tricks, and constant positivity found here and since then, my food has greatly improved. Thank you for that!!!

Any-who, after watching pitmasters, I want to get a smoker and had no clue where to start; however, I had an inkling cheap smokers bought at box stores were not the best beginning. So, I researched and found the Myron Mixon Smokers, and fell in love with them, but found them to be well out of my price range. Then I found the LSG cabinets and pipe smokers or a shirley fab and thought that were everything I was looking for. So, my fiance and I agreed that after we get married (11/5/16) I could start saving for one. Then we started planning the wedding, and my budget crumbled. Bc of this, I became very depressed, but I stumbled upon a WSM and have read of all of the AWESOME food it produced, bc I learned that it is THE COOK that makes great food, not necessarily the vessel in which you cook in.

That being said, I can almost immediately purchase a WSM but I am unable to find a dealer in the Springfield, IL area that caries them. I did not know if you guys had purchased one online and if so would you recommend one site over another??? Also what size should I get??? I have read to go bigger than what you originally intent to use bc it will fill up fast and I will outgrow it if I take it to comps and such...

If this is a duplicate post or in the wrong section I am sorry and if that is the case, could you point me in the correct direction :grin:

Thank you
Josh

Weber has a pricing contract, so it will be rare to find them on sale. I would just go to Amazon and buy it there. Free shipping on orders over $35...

Get the 22 WSM, not the 18. You WILL NOT regret it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-22-1-2-in-Smokey-Mountain-Cooker-Smoker-731001/100657671

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-22.5-Smokey-Mountain-Cooker-Smoker/10756115

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001-Mountain-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B001I8ZTJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436810947&sr=8-1&keywords=smokey+mountain"]Amazon.com : Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-Nd4eZplL.@@AMEPARAM@@41-Nd4eZplL[/ame]

I have several bigger cookers but really like the Pit Barrel Cooker. Similar price ($299 delivered to your door) as the WSM and easier to use in IMO. You can't go wrong with a WSM though.

for the WSM I'd go with the 18" if you go with the WSM. The 22 can get a little big and unwieldy. I know people who think the 18 cooks the best too for some reason.

If u do any big cooks I would recommend the wsm 22. It's a beast. U can fit a lot of food on it and it's very easy to use. Home Depot or lowes usually carries them and if they don't have any in stock u could order from walmart and have it site to Store for free. They call or email u when it's ready for pickup depending on ur preference. It took about a week to get mine and I've had it for 2 weeks now, it's great! I grill on it all the time and I've smoked on it as well. It works as both. I'll be grilling on it again later today. I love it and don't think anyone would regret spending the extra $100 for the space it provides.

With the WSM 18.5 you can get the hanging kit also...or do they offer one with the 22.5"?

for the WSM I'd go with the 18" if you go with the WSM. The 22 can get a little big and unwieldy. I know people who think the 18 cooks the best too for some reason.

I am not sure what you mean by unwieldy. I've had no issues with my 22 and I don't have to worry about trying to fit a full packer on a grate without burning the ends. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 18 or the 22. Just determine the size you need and then get the bigger one...

They're a little harder to find but a few Google search es and u can find the hanging rack for about $40 for the 22.5

Yep, I got mine through Amazon.

alright, cool! thank you for the info! hopefully i can get to ordering one in the next couple of weeks! but tonight, its on to grilling up chicken fajitas (fiance does NOT like steak) that ive had marinating since this morning

alright, cool! thank you for the info! hopefully i can get to ordering one in the next couple of weeks! but tonight, its on to grilling up chicken fajitas (fiance does NOT like steak) that ive had marinating since this morning

She does NOT like steak AND you're marrying her? Wow...that would probably be a deal breaker for me!

I hope she at least likes BBQ. I'm lucky in that my wife loves it almost as much as I do...which is good because she thinks I have an obsession.

The fajitas sound great, what time should I drop by?? Haha!

Seriously, the PBC or the WSM either one would be a great place to start or (wait for it...) you could build a UDS.

I have all three and it is more like picking which car to drive that day. Amazon is also an easy choice as well for the PBC or the WSM.

< that guy....

Build a UDS. Get a feel for cooking and then you just may have a Shirley before you know it.

Regarding which smoker is the best of the best -

The best smoker is the one you can cook with the best. Get a smoker and learn how it runs, then get good with it. That WSM you been talking about will work real well, so will a UDS. If'n ya wants to have fun, get the WSM, then git started building a UDS. Learn those real well, THEN think about what to git next. Lotsa good advise here on everything from building to Q'ing.

She does NOT like steak AND you're marrying her? Wow...that would probably be a deal breaker for me!

I hope she at least likes BBQ. I'm lucky in that my wife loves it almost as much as I do...which is good because she thinks I have an obsession.

oh she loves everything BUT steak, including burgers and brisket, just doesnt like steak.

she can also cook some awesome food (ive put on some serious lbs since weve been together lol) which is why shes a keeper haha

Regarding which smoker is the best of the best -

The best smoker is the one you can cook with the best. Get a smoker and learn how it runs, then get good with it. That WSM you been talking about will work real well, so will a UDS. If'n ya wants to have fun, get the WSM, then git started building a UDS. Learn those real well, THEN think about what to git next. Lotsa good advise here on everything from building to Q'ing.

thats exactly what i was thinking, except im absolutely terrible with building things. hell i could barely change a tube on a bicycle back in my bike racing days, which is why ill probably stay away from a usd for a bit.

i might have to prove to both myself and the future wife that i want to cook and keep cooking so that i can convince both of us an extremely nice smoker would be a wise investment

Sounds like you are on a budget with the wedding and all....so I suggest craigslist...that's what I did...I wasn't on a budget so much as...I just wasn't convinced it was what I wanted....wrong...awesome cooker.

The first one I found was at a garage sale...listed as weber smoker...slightly used...$75. I called and they didn't know much...but come on by...I drove by and from the road...there was a POS grill sitting out...I didn't even stop. I got home and a more knowledgeable person called and wandered where I was...described a perfect WSM22.5....I went back and it was sold before I got there...boohoo. A couple of weeks later a new WSM22 showed up on C/L for $150....bamm...bought it on the spot. If you don't mind looking and waiting...there are some deals out there. BTW there were plenty of clapped out ones for 2-250 range.

Back