Fajita help needed!

The problem is probably outside vs. inside skirt steak. Outside skirt is hard to find. Sometimes I get a good inside skirt steak but it's hit or miss. Flank steak is a good option, I find. It's thicker and a little easier to keep from overcooking. It's maybe not as flavorful and it's more lean. Higher quality meat makes a big difference.

I usually go to a supermercado for skirt steak, they slice it ultra thin and run it through a blade tenderizer, I made these last night:
picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Greg

As much as I like perfectly cooked skirt steak fajitas, I just use chicken 90% of the time.
So much cheaper, too, unfortunately.

in Texas restaurants mostly use the following marinade:

3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, 1 part water.

If you go to Pappasitos or El Tiempo, this is what they marinade their fajitas in. Also, Pappasitos uses sirloin flap meat. I have seen it at Costco a couple times. Looks like skirt steak and is thicker. But good quality skirt steak with silver skin, membrane and fat trimmed would work just fine. Marinade from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Do not marinade overnight. No need. Cook over a very hot fire about a minute and a half per side. Rest for 5 minutes and cut against the grain. Simple.

For me, I just trim and apply course sea salt. Grill as stated above. Baste with some salted butter when it comes off of the grill and a squeeze of fresh lime juice then let rest.

No reason to overthink things.

There ya go. Ex-Pappasito's employee here, and I can tell you that's what they do. Sito's fajitas are regarded as some of the best anywhere.

It said flank on the wrapper. I'm old; leave me alone....LOL

But flank does make nice tacos.

Last edited:
Buy meat,soak it in what you like,cook it.Put it on a tortilla.Change it up if your first trial fails.Kinda like BEANS. To each there own.

Back