Can I reasonably expect to use a Weber Smokey mountain in 0-30 degree ambient winter temps?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Uh, that pretty much sums up my question. Will a WSM allow me to keep on smokin here in Minnesota November thru March?

On a serious note, you could take 8 panels of plywood hinged, and sandwiched between some insulation

So 4 sides hinged, insulation inbetween the 8 panels.
Maybe some 2 inch spacers made out of a 2x4 so the insulation fits inbetween the sandwiched panels.

Low Temps are not the hugest problem. Wind sucks your temps down even in milder weather. A good wind block will be your friend.

On a serious note, you could take 8 panels of plywood hinged, and sandwiched between some insulation

Maybe some 2 inch spacers made out of a 2x4 so the insulation fits inbetween the sandwiched panels.

I don’t use insulation but I do use 4 hinged pieces of plywood. That helped. But what took it to another level was simply adding another piece as a lid. I don’t remember the ambient temps during a few cooks this past winter, but below freezing. The plywood box made the cook a breeze.

So to answer your question, I think it’s possible. You’ll use more fuel, but you should be able to cook in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about 30 miles north of you and use my WSM year round, finding lee spots around my home depending on the prevailing wind; but next fall I plan to go the welder's blanket route. Seems to be a sensible way to retain heat in the unit. I can probably pay for the welder's blanket in charcoal saved within 10 good smokes.

I don’t use insulation but I do use 4 hinged pieces of plywood. That helped. But what took it to another level was simply adding another piece as a lid. I don’t remember the ambient temps during a few cooks this past winter, but below freezing. The plywood box made the cook a breeze.

So to answer your question, I think it’s possible. You’ll use more fuel, but you should be able to cook in the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be surprised how well the insulation between two panels will cut through the freezing temps.

Wind even in 50 degree weather sucks the heat out fast than a calm 20 degree day. Lump will burn hotter but you’ll go through more of it. What size also?

I love my WSMs but....for weather like that I would choose a ceramic cooker every time.Less fuel usage,set it,forget it.I love my Green Eggs too,just depends on what I am cooking and what the weather is as to which I use.

Townhouse assocaiation rules.....I own nothing outside my four walls :mad:

I'm about 30 miles north of you and use my WSM year round, finding lee spots around my home depending on the prevailing wind; but next fall I plan to go the welder's blanket route. Seems to be a sensible way to retain heat in the unit. I can probably pay for the welder's blanket in charcoal saved within 10 good smokes.

Sort of wrapped around the sides but away from the bottom vents? Bungee corded on?

I've ran my 18 in -20° wind chill just fine. Chews up fuel some, still 8-10 hrs in a full ring. A wind screen helps alot. That refletix wind screen from home depot helps alot and is cheap and easy.

reflextix wind screen

I've ran my 18 in -20° wind chill just fine. Chews up fuel some, still 8-10 hrs in a full ring. A wind screen helps alot. That refletix wind screen from home depot helps alot and is cheap and easy.

Hi where do I find this screen at Home Depot?
Thanks DanB

i smoke in winter all the time.
coldest i remember was -13ºF butt.
i was out of the wind.
no insulation whatsoever.
i suppose i used additional fuel to last the entire cook, but results were the same as smoking in 50º weather.

Back