Initial test run of the WSM+ 24" double stack

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
lqmcmSl.jpg

Here is my newest acquisition next to the 14" WSM I recently purchased. Right now I'm doing my initial burnout and it is looking good. The 14" WSM is keeping it company with a bunch of chicken leg quarters inside. If all goes well with the burnout, I hope to break-in the new to me WSM+ with a pair of 10# hams like I did when I first got my 14" WSM. While the 14" WSM smoked everything fine, air flow was a bit compromised (wall-to-wall ham :shock: but it still ran ~250F). Wednesday and Thursday are looking like good weather so, I'm hoping to do a real 'test run' on the WSM+ then.

eE0agx8.jpg

Looks like the burn-out is going well. I'm also getting great smoke out of the top vent now too! Turned it into the wind an opened the door to restoke the fire and away she went. All sealed up she is running ~400F at the top dome and top body. The bottom body is running a bit hotter right now which isn't too surprising after loading some firewood into her getting a bigger fire going.

So far, I'm really happy with how things are running for this initial test run.

That thing is huge

Yes, it is a tall one. :shock:

It is a bit taller than I am so, big cooks with it will require a step stool or something similar, otherwise I will be lifting the top body off to work with it, which if loaded with butts isn't going to happen.

To be honest, I don't see running both bodies loaded that often so it's a nice backup to have if I need to do a big cook without running multiple smokers.

I wonder how many slab of ribs you could hang in the beast. A rib hanger on the top and lower center section .

At 24", I'd guess it is pretty close to a 55-gallon UDS so, UDS x 2?

I'm really liking it right now but, we will see how it works out after the honeymoon! :p

Back