MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #16
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

On the counter? Maybe to get the thawing process to started but never for a full thaw.... But sink full of cold water does the trick every time.. As far as being safe? I don't know according to "The Man" its not safe at all... But I have thawed everything in a sink of cold water... Hamburger, whole chickens, thanksgiving turkey, chirstmas hams, pork butts, ribs.. Except the turkeys which I let thaw over night changing water every couple hrs.. I only thaw this way if I'm eating the meal that day..

Best thing about thawing in cold water over hot water, or leaving it out on the counter.. if you decide that's not what your eating, I've thrown the item in the fridge and ate it the next day!

Biggest problem with cold water in a sink... water logging, if you buy ground beef from the store in the foam tray that's plastic wrapped and you just toss those in the freezer.. That's not gonna keep the water out of the burger as it thaws.. Solve that by a ziplock bag. .. Got a vacuum bag that doesn't have a good seal to it? Gonna get water in the bag.

Never got sick from thawing meats in the sink.. will continue to do so until I do and I know for a fact that's why. But so far Its almost a daily thing I'm thawing something out in a container of cold water or the sink

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #17
Smoke Dad
Got Wood.

I think all the thaw in the fridge only stuff is for precaution mainly. The one time you undercook by a few degrees and the meat was a little too old and etc etc.. boom! You are sick and think you’re about to die. I use it as a guide and try to thaw correctly in the fridge, but I also use my cooler to thaw meat. Occasionally I start the thawing process in the sink then move it to the fridge but I keep a close eye on it and how long it sits out. But honestly, if the meat temp doesn’t rise above normal fridge temps, And it’s still wrapped in store packaging, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. I see lots of guys who pull meat out of the fridge and let it sit out for 30 mins or so before putting it on the smoker. What about when you’re cleaning meat, it’s sitting out and the temp is rising. When you’re done you put it back in the fridge. Bottom line is, be aware, and be careful, and take precautions to keep your food safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #18
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

Took out a package of breakfast sausage before going to bed. Left it in the sink and getting ready to cook it now.

If I don't come back, it was wrong.
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #19
SMOKE FREAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Good to know I'm not the only one who does it.
Just use some common sense and don't let it get warm...
Because the "danger zone" is NOT OVERRATED!

Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #20
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwoodbbq View Post
According to that link I was supposed to die soon after my teeth started coming in as a child some 69 years ago!

Old 01-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #21
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

Apparently I can see posts from dead people.
Thermoworks Smoke

Poll nitpickers are never happy unless they have a nit to pick with a poll.
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #22
Smoke Dawg

Name/Nickname : IMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post
Took out a package of breakfast sausage before going to bed. Left it in the sink and getting ready to cook it now.

I feel great and the sausage (Bear) was awesome!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #23
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I mostly thaw in the drying rack in the sink. (more even air flow)
Or I thaw in a cooler with a block of ice like others mention.
But I do not let the protein get room temp/warm, either.
Most recommendations are to let beef/pork to sit out till room temp before smoking.
From all the postings here. I think I'm good with what I do. I grew up in the 50's. Like many others here. Where leaving food out on the counter, or sitting out in the sun at picnic's to thaw etc was the typical practice.
ebijack is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg View Post

Ha, glad I'm not the only one. Happened with a pack of bacon years ago, I'll be damned if I'm not going to eat it! Still here. Not saying it was smart, but I smell it and make as informed a decision I can.
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #25
4ever3

Nope, always in a bowl or cooler filled with water.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #26
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'll set out in the sink or on a plate any kind of frozen protein to give it a head start, then once it is over say 50-60% thawed, I'll move it to the fridge. I don't do this with ground meats though, they just go into the fridge.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #27
93_confirmed
Full Fledged Farker

I've been doing it for 15 years and have never had a problem. I generally will defrost for a few hours the night before a cook and throw everything in the fridge right before bed. No issues whatsoever.
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #28
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

Counter, in the fridge overnight, or I speed thaw in a sink of room temp water. About 95% of what we have to thaw has been vacuum sealed. We buy large packages and separate to meal portions. Water-logging is not an issue that way. I can thaw almost anything in the sink in 30 minutes or less. Just gotta change the water back to room temp if it's a big item.

There's a good hour and half between my getting home and the wife getting home. If she has left something on the counter to thaw all day then I usually put it in the fridge when I get home.
Campchef 36" Flattop
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #29
Dplorable
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I've thawed meat on the counter my whole adult life, never had a problem.
Dplorable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #30
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

Thawed out some spare ribs in the sink just last night. I get up early and put them in the fridge.

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum (Rehab in progress...) / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote