MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
yoursangoma
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brett
Default Philly Cheese Steaks

So the daughter requested some philly cheese steaks (Super proud dad moment). Haven't made them before. Bought Steakumms cause that was the only option for me on short notice (hopefully this doesn't mean that they are going to suck no matter what). Do I put any seasonings on the meat/veggies? What's your best recipe? How do I make sure she asks for these again? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

TIA

Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

Salt and pepper is all I have used.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

I am not sure how you are going to cook them, but while I love the ease of Steak-Ums I find it hard to get flavor in them. I really like cooking them and then letting them simmer with the veggies and seasonings as long as possible.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
Shadowdog500
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursangoma View Post
So the daughter requested some philly cheese steaks (Super proud dad moment). Haven't made them before. Bought Steakumms cause that was the only option for me on short notice (hopefully this doesn't mean that they are going to suck no matter what). Do I put any seasonings on the meat/veggies? What's your best recipe? How do I make sure she asks for these again? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

TIA
Born and raised in philly and everyone I knew made steakumms in a pinch at home. Never really chopped steakuum up Like you would do with shaved ribeye. just put oil in the pan and put the meat on. Salt and pepper. When the bottom seems done flip it over and put cooper white American cheese on it and pull it off when it is done. Cooper white American melts perfectly for a cheesteak.

Cheese whiz is only used at the tourist places that have a big pile of cooked meat and sweated onions on the flat top waiting for the rush. They use it because they have a line of tourists and can’t take the time to have American cheese melt on the grill. Go to any local neighborhood place and they don’t use cheese whizz, and they don’t have a mountain of cooked steak. Your cheesteak is cooked to order.

Serve on a roll. Put ketchup on it if you like. A lot of people do. Especially kids.

My wife and I both eat ours with fried onion ketchup and tomato.

If you guys like fried onions put them on the grill and let them sweat a little before putting the steak on because the chipped steak cooks really quick when compared to the onions.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-26-2020 at 09:03 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #5
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

I just did some cheesesteaks HERE.
My cheese sauce recipe is in that thread.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Salt pepper is good for seasoning When cooking the meat you want to cut/chop it up in little pieces I like my cheese melted on the steak Grilled onions mushrooms and peppers are great additions A lot of people use shaved rib eye
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Steak-Umms!!...Sweet memories of my youth!!...Now its shaved rib-eye on the Blackstone!....I echo the others, salt and pepper (lots of pepper!!) and cooper sharp for me too!....Fried onions, toasted roll....man, I'm getting hungry!
Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, ORANGE Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" ,Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer, various other nonsense devices
“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain (Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
Shadowdog500
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread helped me choose my lunch today. Cheesteak, coke, and a Tastykake tasty-klair!
Sorry no photos!

Old 02-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
Shadowdog500
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursangoma View Post

TIA
How did she like the cheesteak?

Old 02-27-2020, 11:55 PM   #10
CKYnick
Knows what a fatty is.

Great choice, my go to is exactly like shadowdog stated. Mannn there is a relatively new place in philly, Angelo’s, and they are killing it. Fresh house made italian bread everyday, fresh shaved ribeye...and thats just the beginning
CKYnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #11
Shadowdog500
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKYnick View Post
Great choice, my go to is exactly like shadowdog stated. Mannn there is a relatively new place in philly, Angelo’s, and they are killing it. Fresh house made italian bread everyday, fresh shaved ribeye...and thats just the beginning
What part of Philly is Angello’s at? I’ll give it a try.

I see you are in Delaware. Have you tried Romano’s in Essington? It’s been there forever and they make good cheesteaks. They also invented the Stromboli and make a cheesteak Stromboli that I hear is good.

Photos of Chesesteak Stromboli were lifted from the web.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-28-2020 at 12:35 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #12
yoursangoma
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
How did she like the cheesteak?
Thursday turned out to be a really busy night, so it will be tonight instead. I'll let you know. She was bummed when she found out we were having pizza instead of cheese steaks.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
Born and raised in philly and everyone I knew made steakumms in a pinch at home. Never really chopped steakuum up Like you would do with shaved ribeye. just put oil in the pan and put the meat on. Salt and pepper. When the bottom seems done flip it over and put cooper white American cheese on it and pull it off when it is done. Cooper white American melts perfectly for a cheesteak.

Cheese whiz is only used at the tourist places that have a big pile of cooked meat and sweated onions on the flat top waiting for the rush. They use it because they have a line of tourists and can’t take the time to have American cheese melt on the grill. Go to any local neighborhood place and they don’t use cheese whizz, and they don’t have a mountain of cooked steak. Your cheesteak is cooked to order.

Serve on a roll. Put ketchup on it if you like. A lot of people do. Especially kids.

My wife and I both eat ours with fried onion ketchup and tomato.

If you guys like fried onions put them on the grill and let them sweat a little before putting the steak on because the chipped steak cooks really quick when compared to the onions.
My understanding was the Wiz was used as the original cheese as it allowed them to keep the grills kosher as the wiz was kept in its own thing on the flattop and wouldn't melt onto the flattop like a slice or shreds.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

I just hit the veggies with seasoned salt.

If I could make a late recommendation, Steak-Eze are a superior product to Steak-Ums. I get mine at Sam's.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #15
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

If you want a GREAT Philly Cheesesteak the BEST is Dalessandro's in East Falls on Henry Ave
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote