MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
Grif054
On the road to being a farker

Default Weber Smokefire returned!

I really wanted to love this grill but had 4 or 5 problems and not a good grill for anyone with a wooden deck. Really wanted to be able to slow cook and grill at high heat with the pellets and I thought this looked good. Checking out the Cookshack PG1000. I know its old technology but if anyone has any comments about the Fast Eddy, let me know. Thank you.
Grif054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
InThePitBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Mine went back today after it caught fire, what a mess!

I've got a couple Cookshacks we use for the business and a PG500 at home, you'll love that 1000 model if you have use for the high temp sear station on it but the 18" Q area is pretty tight.

After trying most of the popular brands of pellet cookers my favorites are still the Green Mountains, I've got the old model DB and new JB Prime that I absolutely love for just about anything we cook at home and the wireless ap really works well on both of them.

Living this far North it's nice in the winter to throw some butts on before bed time low and slow and wake up to see the readings on the dual temp probes and be able to bump up the heat to finish them from the phone ap without freezing your hind end off before the first cup of coffee.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
mcyork28
is One Chatty Farker

Where did you purchase from?
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Grif054

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Where did you purchase from?
Abt appliance

Old 02-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
Grif054

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
Mine went back today after it caught fire, what a mess!

I've got a couple Cookshacks we use for the business and a PG500 at home, you'll love that 1000 model if you have use for the high temp sear station on it but the 18" Q area is pretty tight.

After trying most of the popular brands of pellet cookers my favorites are still the Green Mountains, I've got the old model DB and new JB Prime that I absolutely love for just about anything we cook at home and the wireless ap really works well on both of them.

Living this far North it's nice in the winter to throw some butts on before bed time low and slow and wake up to see the readings on the dual temp probes and be able to bump up the heat to finish them from the phone ap without freezing your hind end off before the first cup of coffee.

Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry to hear about the fire. My Weber was a nightmare. I will check out these Green Mountains now.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Check out Smokin Brothers, too. Really well made, and they have a heat wave attachment meant for getting higher temps where you want to grill. I have never used the Heat Wave, but the SB smokers are awesome.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
InThePitBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif054 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry to hear about the fire. My Weber was a nightmare. I will check out these Green Mountains now.
I really like the features on the new Prime model and the extra space on the Jim Bowie versus the older DB model has come in handy. I can get two 10 pound bags of chicken quarters on the JB Prime.

The prime model now has variable speed fans and auger, and that thing holds on the set temp almost perfect and when you change the set temp it doesn't under or overshoot it much at all to make the correction.

It has dual temp probes now also, that's been pretty handy to use in conjunction with the phone ap.

Your not far away at all, your welcome to play with 'em if you'd like.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
hedonsmbot
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Troy

Wow. What a debacle this thing is turning into.

I'm eagerly awaiting the story behind how this thing got to market with as much hype as it brought. The horror stories are so uniform in their details that you have to expect Weber knew all of these issues and decided to ship it anyway.

I love Weber but have only ever owned their most basic, 3 burner gas grills. I've always admired how easy they are to keep in service for decades on end.

Not being able to start your pellet-jamming, grease fire machine because of bad software integration? YIKES.
hedonsmbot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
Grif054

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedonsmbot View Post
Wow. What a debacle this thing is turning into.

I'm eagerly awaiting the story behind how this thing got to market with as much hype as it brought. The horror stories are so uniform in their details that you have to expect Weber knew all of these issues and decided to ship it anyway.

I love Weber but have only ever owned their most basic, 3 burner gas grills. I've always admired how easy they are to keep in service for decades on end.

Not being able to start your pellet-jamming, grease fire machine because of bad software integration? YIKES.
For sure. When there are people spraying the ramp inside the pellet hopper with food grade silicone spray to get the pellets to slide down. that pretty much tells you not too much R&D went into this grill. I had 4 or 5 problems with this thing that I cant see any kind of update will correct. And i have had quite a few different pellet cookers. I have never seen one chew up so many pellets! I realize that is the case with searing temperatures but it still is a hog!

Old 02-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Jesus!

This was a literal, dumpster fire roll-out of a product.

I was expecting a lot more from a company like Weber.

Last edited by PatAttack; 02-18-2020 at 05:20 PM..
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Jesus!

This was a literal dumpster fire roll-out of a product.

I was expecting a lot more from a company like Weber.
Same. I've always liked their products but this doesn't look good. Admittedly I wouldn't have had the nerve to buy Gen 1 but someone had to do it.
Old Smokey Electric.
Blackstone 22.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sorry man, that had to hurt to return it, cause I know it hurt to refuse delivery of mine.

What a mess!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Grif054

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Sorry man, that had to hurt to return it, cause I know it hurt to refuse delivery of mine.

What a mess!
Yes sir! 100%

Old 02-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #14
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I found this video review of the Weber to be rather informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js1yUaXOa_o
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #15
BGEChicago
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Wow, not good when even the locals call it a disaster, were pretty loyal. Did anyone in IL get contacted to try it out and give feedback? I gotta imagine Weber being in Palatine and with many BBQ-Brethren in IL they would of reached out to some of us??? It's hard to imagine they designed, built and released with no consumer input? I work for a manufacturer and we go through months and months of user feedback, it's always insightful.

Thanks,
Greg

Elmhurst, IL
BGEChicago is offline   Reply With Quote