• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beer Dinner Help

Brew-Bq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Im planning on organizing a BBQ Beer Dinner with a local BBQ Joint/caterer. Our Brewery will supply the venue and beers to pair with the Q. We will probably have 5-6 beers served in sample sizes 4-6oz depending on the beer. 5 courses of Q. Start w something light like a fancy slaw, then maybe ABT's or Moinks, then it could be smoked wings, ribs, brisket, burnt ends. You get the idea. Some points to consider: The portions would be small so as not to over stuff people. It would be a leisurely 2 hour dinner. We would charge a set cover per person with a pre-determined amount per guest going to the caterer (also we would have a solid guest number to work off of. I dont need to make money beyond paying for our beer, we will look at it as promotion. I'd like to approach them with some basic knowledge from the food side of it. Any suggestions or considerations you can offer me? They can serve or we can depending on the agreement. On something like this what would be the minimum you would want to make so I can figure out a minimum head count needed. I think we could charge a premium price so that would help (50$ min).

Pepper stout beef on a roll/ciabatta bun?

peeps made pepper stout beef at our last North Texas bash and it was incredible. Got your beer and your smoked beef in one tasty package.

Thanks, thats a good one. Im more interested in the caterers point of view as far as how to make it attractive for them as well. I will be able to get some good free publicity for all involved. We have good contacts that way so that is also a selling point to them. Im sure they will have great ideas as to the food, Im going to let them take the lead on that since my expertise is the beer side.

Where are you holding it? If its at the Brewery I wouldn't look to promote the caterer actively. I think just the chance to hand out cards for gigs is enough. A nice honorable mention when you address the crowd but don't take anything away from yourself and your business. Unless they are giving you a break on the cost realize the risk is all yours and for that the rewards should fall upon you.

To my way of thinking, these types of events always work best when the menu of food and beer are matched. To that end, you need a good catering company to work with you on creating a menu that works seamlessly. The best events like these that I have gone to, were one or two seatings, with the brewmaster and chef giving a run down of what each courses offerings were, and what to look for in each pairing. In general, when you get to hear what the guys behind the dinner are thinking, it makes it a little more interesting.

To my way of thinking, these types of events always work best when the menu of food and beer are matched. To that end, you need a good catering company to work with you on creating a menu that works seamlessly. The best events like these that I have gone to, were one or two seatings, with the brewmaster and chef giving a run down of what each courses offerings were, and what to look for in each pairing. In general, when you get to hear what the guys behind the dinner are thinking, it makes it a little more interesting.

Agreed. We do dinners regularly with restaurants so we know the drill. The Brewery does not serve food normally, just a tap room and occasional Food Trucks which is why I want to promote the Q joint. Wont hurt our biz at all. I know the caterers and they are the best Q in town so the quality will be there and we will sit down together and hash out the pairings. I would like their Pitmaster to talk about each dish if its possible. I always give a short talk on each beer and how it pairs w a course as they come out. I threw out the idea to them a while back at a rib cook off and they were interested. Now Im trying to get the details settled. I'd rather go into the discussion with a better understanding of their end. Ill just put a rough proposal together and we will get it figured out.

You are already on track in your thinking. Any caterer should be able to do something within that $50 PP price point. If I were still catering on a regular basis, I would be all over this! I have been a chef for over 25 years and absolutely LOVE doing beer, wine, cigar dinners. Whether it's bbq and beer or tapas and sangria, the whole experience should be fun in invigorating for everyone.

Inform the caterer of your idea. Tell them how much you were thinking to charge, and how much of that money is there's. If you have a guarantee number, that will help greatly! Once the money is decided, the menu can be determined. I might recommend doing something similar to what you mention menu wise; keep it like "heavy hors d oeuvres" 2-3 bites per item. Maybe 3-5 items in total. Or, 2-3 small items, with 2 bigger items.

Hope this helps a little. Sounds awesome! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Chef Phillip Dell
Food Networks "Chopped" Champion season 15 ep. 9 "Cook your butt off"
www.facebook.com/chefphillipdell

Back