MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Default How Many Brsikets

So I am cooking for a family event later this summer. everyone wants brisket.
Question is how many for aprox 40 people.
Average size I get are in the 10-13lbs range.
There will be other sides of course, I was thinking maybe 4 total but tell me if i would need more.
Thanks in advance.
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Four sounds like the right amount to me. Prolly have some left over, which is good.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Meat & Heat
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Four sounds like the right amount to me. Prolly have some left over, which is good.
Thanks,
That's what I thought but just wanted another opinion.
Meat & Heat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Four 12 pound briskets should yield around 60-65 6oz portions.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
coondogbbq
On the road to being a farker

65 X 6 = 390
390 / 16 = 24.375
24.375 / 4 ~ 6.
So does a brisket typically loose half due to trimming and rendering? I've always wondered but never tested it. Thx
coondogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondogbbq View Post
So does a brisket typically loose half due to trimming and rendering? I've always wondered but never tested it. Thx
Most people use 50% loss as a safe estimate (for pork butts, too), but every piece of meat will be slightly different and real world loss may be less. But at 50% you err on the side of having a little more meat than you need instead of not enough.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with marubozo. The 50% loss number is a good standard to use. We find that both pork butts and packer briskets lose between 40% to 50% from cooking. It all depends on the quality/leanness of the product. We calculate a 50% loss just to be safe. We calculate our loss on every cook and have found that it has been holding steady at 45% loss. We use the same supplier each time so the product quality is uniform. That extra 5% gives us a little buffer in finished quantity.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
Four 12 pound briskets should yield around 60-65 6oz portions.
^ Agree with one disclaimer: if you nail the brisket no way 6oz each will be enough!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
I agree with marubozo. The 50% loss number is a good standard to use. We find that both pork butts and packer briskets lose between 40% to 50% from cooking. It all depends on the quality/leanness of the product. We calculate a 50% loss just to be safe. We calculate our loss on every cook and have found that it has been holding steady at 45% loss. We use the same supplier each time so the product quality is uniform. That extra 5% gives us a little buffer in finished quantity.
My 5% ends up being used for burnt ends.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Michael Cowley
Knows what a fatty is.

Yea your about right! I always overshoot and figure 8oz per person and 50% loss so if your serving 40 people I would get at least 40lbs raw of briskets so if yiour getting 14lbrs your would have some left. You also have to figure a 14lbr will lose 1.5-2lbs at least for trimming the fat and now your at 12lbs then you figure it will shrink down to 6lbs after cooking and more fat rendering. so at 6lbs you can feed 12-8oz portions so yea going 4 briskets would definitely cover you. A good rule of thumb also is

No sides --8oz meat
1 side-- 6oz meat
2 or more sides--4oz meat
Michael Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote