MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:04 AM   #1
armyguygrillin
Got Wood.

Default Anyone tried jerky on the Assassin 28 or similar?

I got rid of my DreamWorks ss pellet smoker and that thing made the best jerky ever. It would hold at 160 degrees like a champ.

Now that it's gone, I haven't made anymore jerky. Anyone here try to make jerky on an Assassin or similar gravity fed smoker? I'm not sure if these things can hold that low of a temp, and even if it could with the bbqguru, would it be hot enough to get the wood smoking?

I was thing about trying a small batch on my Assassin 28.
armyguygrillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
armyguygrillin
Got Wood.

Alright well I guess nobody has tried this judging by the lack of responses. I figured I would go ahead and find out for myself. I have 3 lbs of jerky on the Assassin 28 as we speak. I set the guru at 150 degrees. As of now, it has been in about 15 minutes and is smoking away. I do have the hickory chunks mixed in with the lump charcoal, and I threw a few splits of cherry down in the tray. I will let everyone know how it turns out and I will post some pics. So far it seems to be holding temp just fine. Even if it overshoots a little to 160 it will still be fine. We shall see.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Picketwire BBQ
On the road to being a farker

It will do temps that low with the guru easy. I did it with bacon a couple weeks ago.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
ncstan
On the road to being a farker

with a guru You will have no problems maintaining the low temps for jerky

Old 06-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
armyguygrillin
Got Wood.

Yeah I am really liking this thing now. At first, I couldn't get it to smoke at all. It was burning up the wood in the tray way too hot for it to smoke. Then I started putting chunks in with the lump, I covered the drip hole with foil since I never get anything going down there anyways, and I shut the top lid all but a 1/4 open. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Just to show how efficient this thing is, I smoked some ribs on it yesterday. Lit the thing up around noon. Threw the ribs on at 1 when it was at 225 and smoking. Kept it at 225 for the whole 3.5 hour cook. The lump stack was about 3/4 full when I started. After the cook I think I unplugged the guru and that was it. Didn't shut the valve or the smoke stack. When I went out there today at 130pm, there was still burning lump in the stack(not much) and the temp was still at 150 degrees 24 hours later. Pretty Damn impressive. Cool thing is I just set the guru to 150, added some more wood chunks and lump, and threw the jerky in there. Didn't have to wait for a warm up..lol

Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
armyguygrillin
Got Wood.

Well 4.5 hours later and she's still going at that temp. Jerky still seems to have quite a bit longer before it's done. I think that is mostly in part to there not being a whole lot of air being pushed over the jerky. It is just heat in the chamber.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

I cold smoke sausage in my Assassin at 140-150 with no problem. I also mix in chunks with the charcoal for better smoke at the low temps. Seems to give a cleaner burn. At that low temp, chunks were smoldering too much for my liking in the tray.