reverse flow versus rositterie smoker

jayhomrich89

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey guys my name is Jon I am new to the forum much like many of you I am sure I came here seeking tips and advice when it comes to bbq; cooking and prepping it as well as just talk in general about the topic.

I have done a little research on smokers and have a good idea of what I want to do, I am on a budget so I am opting to build a smoker from a heat oil tank. Yes I understand they aren't the best choice but it will work for what I am planning to do with it, and where I live good ones are fairly inexpensive.

My question is though how does a rotisserie stack against a reverse flow smoker, or if you build a reverse flow smoker is it really necessary to have a rotisserie unit. I did find plans for a heat oil tank smoker that was reverse flow and had rotisserie but it seems like to me rotisserie would work best at improving the performance of an offset smoker that doesn't flow as evenly as a reverse flow. Plus the plan is also $80 I'm certain there are sites that offer free or much less expensive smokers plans that I don't know about, or if someone can give me some ideas that I can use to come up with my own plan. Let's see what kind of ideas are out there.

IMHO, a rotisserie smoker (not a single spit, but the shelf style) is great for ribs as the dripping fat auto bastes the other racks. For pork butt and briskets and most other things, I just don't think it is worth the extra cost, complexity, and maintenance.

If you are on a budget and looking for versatility, I would strongly favor the reverse flow followed by a traditional with tuning plates well before a rotisserie setup.

that's kinda what I was thinking I think honestly I can still get some good results from a reverse flow still a far cry better than a normal offset.

Back