Yoder mod

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
MSD is a little vertically challenged and has a hard time opening up the Yoder all the way without either letting it flop or touching the lid on her wrist. Had the same problem with the GMG and I modified that handle also.

Simple extension

We'll see if it is too much or more angle is needed by trial

Yoder 1.jpg

Yoder 2.jpg

Nicely done neighbor. :thumb:

Thanks Bro - We already had a discussion that we need to be careful putting food on the shelf and closing the lid on it. I may end up making it a little shorter - We'll see.

Thanks Bro - We already had a discussion that we need to be careful putting food on the shelf and closing the lid on it. I may end up making it a little shorter - We'll see.

Looks professional. As far as shutting the lid on food, that is an issue. Even without the handle extension. Anything too tall, the bottom of the lid will hit, when closing. If I got something on the front shelf, I always close slowly, to make sure it will clear.

Looks professional. As far as shutting the lid on food, that is an issue. Even without the handle extension. Anything too tall, the bottom of the lid will hit, when closing. If I got something on the front shelf, I always close slowly, to make sure it will clear.

Thanks Josh - I used SS hardware and the same 1/4" thickness steel to keep it stout.

More modifications to my Yoder YS640

I wanted to have the top shelf and still have room for larger butts on the lower grate so I made a couple different top grates.

Here is the standard SS lower grates

Grate.jpg

And with the standard 15.5" top grate

Top.jpg

I made a 12" top grate that would give me better access to the lower grate and room for bigger meat on the lower front

12.jpg

and I also made a 8" top grate for even more access and lower room.

8.jpg

Here is the Grill grate installed and the standard lower grates

Grill grates.jpg

Since I had the material, I made a single grate to install when using the grill grates

filler.jpg

Still getting them seasoned and had then in the grill when cooking but have not actually cooked on them yet.

Bacon.jpg

Its coming

Starting to get it where I like it.

Nice work. I haven't had any problems fitting butts on both racks, but the bottom shelf access has been a problem. If I were going to mod mine, it would be making the bottom shelf pull out, like the top one, but that would cut down on head room. Wish they had just made the thing a little taller. I've been thinking about buying one of these to give me more room for shorter cuts of meat.
https://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-3-tier-smoking-rack.html

That is pretty sweet but they are proud of it.

It is SS though.

That is pretty sweet but they are proud of it.

It is SS though.

You can say a lot of things about Yoder, but not that they under price their products. Looks like you have the talent, you could knock one out in a day though.

You can say a lot of things about Yoder, but not that they under price their products. Looks like you have the talent, you could knock one out in a day though.

Ha Ha - Thanks

I do plan on making my own two piece diffuser. My standard one already has a slight warp.

I expect they will make it standard pretty soon because it is almost neccessary

Ha Ha - Thanks

I do plan on making my own two piece diffuser. My standard one already has a slight warp.

I expect they will make it standard pretty soon because it is almost neccessary

The 2 piece diffuser is great. I bought mine at the same time as my smoker, but they forgot to ship it. I called and they over nighted it to me, but I couldn't wait, to use it, so I put the standard plate in. I just used the standard plate once, but that was enough to know how much easier it is to handle the 2 piece. Having that hole in the middle makes getting a good hold on it, when removing it, or cleaning it, makes a big difference. Then there is the obvious benefits of the direct grilling. The extra angle iron, prevents warping too.

The 2 piece diffuser is great. I bought mine at the same time as my smoker, but they forgot to ship it. I called and they over nighted it to me, but I couldn't wait, to use it, so I put the standard plate in. I just used the standard plate once, but that was enough to know how much easier it is to handle the 2 piece. Having that hole in the middle makes getting a good hold on it, when removing it, or cleaning it, makes a big difference. Then there is the obvious benefits of the direct grilling. The extra angle iron, prevents warping too.

Agreed - I have a plan!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

2 piece Diffuser plate

Well, I finally got around to building my 2 piece diffuser plate.
I went a little heavier than Yoder and used 3/16 instead of 1/8 for the diffuser and 3/16 for the doubler. I made the opening just a little larger also and added a couple angle iron stiffners below the doubler.

Here is the back side

Backside.jpg

Top side

Top side.jpg

The opening

Opening.jpg

The door

Door.jpg

And installed!

Installed.jpg

I was pretty busy and over booked so have not used it yet - MSD did smoke some sausage but I want to open it up and give the direct grilling a go.

If you're going to do something, you might as well aim for overkill. Great job! Looks pretty close to the Yoder one from top, but I bet that thing is a beast getting it in and out of there. It is a significant upgrade to your cooker. Wood fire flavor with gas grill convenience.

Back