MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #46
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

RTIC has 20% off on orders of $200 today. Just a head's up.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #47
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Best value for the $$$. $97 at Wal-Mart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-...0820/850043843

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #48
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Spending the equivalent of a car payment on a cooler- when did that become a thing? My granddad would give me a Gibbs slap to the back of the head if I ever thought of doing such. Cheapo styrofoam or Coleman cooler blows out the back of a pickup, I don't cry. Someone steals it, I don't consider violence.

But maybe I'm "underthinking" it.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #49
drumike102
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Spending the equivalent of a car payment on a cooler- when did that become a thing? My granddad would give me a Gibbs slap to the back of the head if I ever thought of doing such. Cheapo styrofoam or Coleman cooler blows out the back of a pickup, I don't cry. Someone steals it, I don't consider violence.

Hence my vote for RTIC. Right now a 65 is $190 with their sale. For something that will last I don’t mind spending that. Double that for less from yeti, now that’s a different story.
drumike102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #50
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

I got tired of lugging my 45 qt Yeti at the Texas Bashes. Gave to my daughter. I now have a 30 something dollar deep Coleman on wheels. Still have and use my Yeti Roadie. The Yeti stuff is great but they sure could use some wheels. Plus, unless you are going to be gone for days without the ability to get more ice, they are just not necessary. I know they are a status thing but as you get older, status kind if goes way down on importance.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #51
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

I still have a big hard sided cooler, but have found that I LOVE my soft sided coolers MUCH more. I have a few Polar Bear H2O 48 can models that I won't be without. I dig the closed cell insulation and the water resistant shell for "Oh crap it's raining" situations. Light, easy to pack into the car and put away. I haven't used the big boy in a long time.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #52
Kade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kade

Orca
Kade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 AM   #53
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post

It all depends on needs, and what car you are paying for I bought a yeti hopper, but that was less than my car note. I use the heck out of it, and it does a fantastic job. Though, the design is crap. I'm always scraping my wrist to get in there-but I can load it full at my house, drive 8 hours, and still have cold stuffs when I get to the hotel.

I've bought suitcases that cost more than a month of my car, and I curse them every time I use them (weekly) and like the cooler more. Now that I bourbonly think about that, should I use a cooler as a suitcase?

Last edited by TravelingJ; 08-14-2018 at 02:14 AM..
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 AM   #54
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Have a Pelican. Can’t remember the size 35?? I’ll look. Very nice. Heavy empty, not budging when full. Last couple years I have carried an RTIC soft and a Sam’s 30$ special. Both 20qt. I think. I stack them. If I had a do over, I would’ve skipped the Pelican. Think I paid 187$ free shipping via Amazon. I’ve never seen them that cheap again. May be off a few on Pelican price- not much though.

I have some Yeti products, all gifts. No coolers though.

Last edited by 16Adams; 08-14-2018 at 05:26 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #55
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I’m going to need one that will act as a coffin for a fairly large pig.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:40 AM   #56
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

This !!!
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #57
Beer/Meat/Victory
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in the camp of not paying that much for a cooler. If I was spending a week in a remote location and desperately needed the extra day or 2 of ice retention and bear proofing, then I might. I've got a 8 year old Igloo Max 50qt, and a newer Coleman xtreme 120 qt. Both of those together cost half of a Smaller Yeti. Get some aftermarket stainless latches for the Coleman/Igloo and you'll be good to go.
Beer/Meat/Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #58
Piggysquealers
Full Fledged Farker

I like big frig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180806_212510.jpg (68.4 KB, 136 views)

Old 08-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #59
Barefoot BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Default I concur......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Best value for the $$$. $97 at Wal-Mart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-...0820/850043843

Saw these as I was following the wife down the aisles. Picked up one to test on the boat that weekend. It was a bit lighter than my Yeti of same size, and it did as well as the Yeti (nothing scientific). So......I went back and bought the remaining 3 they had for competitions.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #60
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer/Meat/Victory View Post
I'm in the camp of not paying that much for a cooler. If I was spending a week in a remote location and desperately needed the extra day or 2 of ice retention and bear proofing, then I might. I've got a 8 year old Igloo Max 50qt, and a newer Coleman xtreme 120 qt. Both of those together cost half of a Smaller Yeti. Get some aftermarket stainless latches for the Coleman/Igloo and you'll be good to go.
That's how I feel, too. We use our coolers for competitions and rarely need to keep them chilled for more than two days, maybe three for a double header. I can get 22 lbs of ice for $2 at a local grocery store, so it's hard to justify spending an extra $200 -$300 for a cooler.

Now, if any of the recommended cooler manufacturers are reading this and want to sponsor us and provide coolers, just send me a PM!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote