MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Default LSG horizontal offset vs Gator offset questions

I'm going to pull the trigger on a horizontal offset. I'm in Houston which is the mecca of pit builders. Lots to choose from and tough choices (no I don't want a pit barrel, but thanks in advance pit barrel guys ).

Questions:

Gator has the little dial style intake and 4" square exhaust. LSG has the little slider, and uses 5" exhaust.

Would the LSG with the larger exhaust draft a little better? Or Am I over thinking this?

Reason I ask is I do a lot of chicken and was thinking a larger exhaust and better drafting pit would be able to get temps up higher if needed.

I have no offset experience and not sure what size to get. I currently have a 22" Kettle and in reality, dont need a ton of grill space. A 20x32" would probably work just fine for my actual needs, or a 20x36" would be just great. But my brain tells me that it would be harder to get away from firebox heat on a smaller offset (thinking brisket and ribs here) for low/slow and I should get a 40" to give me a wider range of heat zones and more options and more space in those zone.

Anyone with a 32", 36" or 40" Gator or LSG? can chime in?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

24"x 48" in either. I don't like any thing smaller than 20" x 40" .......Ain't Gator Pits Higher Priced?

Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Supposedly Chris used to work in Ritch's shop. The lore has it that Chris broke away and formed LSG. To me, Chris does it as good if not better for less money.

The catch is that Ritch has the TV shows and exposure so he knows he'll have people ponying up 4,5,6 Gs for his rigs while, to me, LSG is sleeker and they're in the 2,3,4 thousand range. To each their own but LSG wins in my book.

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/20---x...et-Smoker.html
.........................or
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/24---x...pe-Smoker.html
..........................or
http://www.lonestargrillz.com/24--x4...pe-Smoker.html

Old 09-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
SmittyJonz

I LIKE Verticals myself........

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Vertical-Smokers.html

SSV3 and a few others have the Verticals with Warmer and do some BadAzz cooks in the Warmer.......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=3865974

Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I was halfway through a response and realized that you asked about the "Horizontal", not the "Vertical" offset. I had the Big Boy LSG Vertical Offset with the warming oven and upgraded firebox (over $3.5K) and it was a BEAST. Big, heavy, lots of cooking space, and worth every penny. The thing drafted like crazy. I could do low temps or high temps, but it took me a while to figure it out, coming from a WSM that was set it and forget it.

Now, I am going to share something I wrote up a while ago. It's long, and painful, but it's something you should be aware of before making the leap. Don't want to scare you away, just make sure you know what you are getting into before you spend the big bucks on a stick burner like that.

Quote:
I have been grilling foods for years, with mostly good results, and some not so good results. I had used gassers and kettle type charcoal pits, and preferred the kettles as I got to play with the fire. I also was the one that loved the few cold days we get here in SoTex, as it gave me a chance to light the fireplace at the bar and play with it. Yeah, probably a pyro at heart.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I was out somewhere and had some BBQ, and thought that I could probably make this. Now, at this point, I only had a gasser, as the little woman needed somewhere to cook some of her Korean food that should not be cooked in enclosed spaces. I missed the kettle, but had been doing ok with the gasser, especially after I learned about cooking indirect. But, trying to get my gasser down to exactly 225* (another thing I have since learned is not required) was difficult, especially on a 100* day. After a couple times of doing "ok" ribs and a couple briskets for an event (one was great, the other was shoe leather), I started researching smokers. It had to be the pit, not the master.

In February 2013, I got my first smoker, a 22.5" WSM and the BBQ bug bit me hard. I was smoking two or three times a week, and trying to smoke some stuff I'd never thought of trying (some good, some even the dogs wouldn't eat). That WSM loved to hum along at 275* with very little input from me, maybe a slight adjustment a couple times during the cook. I learned a LOT thanks to the knowledgeable people on this site, and got to the point where I had a process for most things, and could consistently produce good Q. Well, at least that's what my friends told me. Either that or those drunks just liked free food. I started to get more and more requests to make some BBQ for a friends birthday or whatever gathering at the bar. Enough that I started running out of real estate on the WSM.

After two years on the WSM, I decided it was time to upgrade, and if I was going to do it, I was going to buy my last smoker. It was going to be big, heavy, and with lots of room. And if I was going to become a true "pitmaster", I knew that it had to be on a stick burner. I researched several of the name brands, Shirley, etc., but decided on LSG due to the way it looked, the quality, the love for it from several Brethren, and because it was close to home, meaning I could pick it up. I placed my order in March of 2015 with Chris and Amber for the Vertical Offset with the works for about $3600 and started the long wait for it to be mine.

I got the email and made the drive to LSG to pick up my new BEAST on July 3rd, 2015. Got her home and six of my buddies helped me move 1700 pounds of the most beautiful steel I had ever seen to the back yard. Got her all seasoned and played around with a couple fires, and got down to what I knew was going to be my best BBQ ever.

Well, there was a learning curve coming from the WSM. Managing a fire, getting the tuning plates set up, etc. My process I had previously set up was shot and I had to start over. Instead of grabbing a bag of KBB and a handful of wood chunks, I now had to cut and split wood, so set up time was longer. Instead of getting the WSM up to temp, throwing the meat on, and letting her ride, I now had to keep a constant eye on temps, throw another log on, fiddle with the coals, oh crap, way too high of temp, cut my splits shorter, crap, now my coal bed is dying, what the Fark am I doing wrong???

Now, if I was just doing this when I had time off, I might have enjoyed it more. But I did a lot of my cooks during the week while I was working from home. And getting up from my desk every 30 mins started to really bother me.

By early December, I realized that I had only cooked on the Beast about 10 times and had fallen back to using the WSM most of the time, unless it was a bigger cook that needed the space. It hurt me to come to the conclusion, but I realized I had made an expensive mistake. I sent an email to Chris on December 3rd, 2015 asking to him about reselling it and posted here on the Brethren soon after. Chris and I also discussed it and I placed my order for a large Insulated Cabinet, more my style, and still big enough to handle most anything I will ever need to cook.

Now came the fun of trying to sell the Beast. She’d be a great smoker to someone, but who wants to pay that much for a (slightly) used smoker, when for a little more they could get it brand new. I listed it everywhere. The Brethren, Craigslist, Newspapers, and every Facebook sales page I could find. I got offers from scammers and others that were trying to low ball me to less than half price. In January of 2016, I got a PM and email from a Brethren who wanted it. In Washington. The state. He was willing to work with me on shipping, so I started trying to find a shipper that would do it and an insurance company in case something happened on the way. Finally, I got that all figured out, but unfortunately, he had to back out as it was too heavy for the spot he planned to put it. <Sigh>

Went back to the boards and started dropping the price. February came and went with no bites. I got my cabinet from LSG and it was wonderful. Ran similar to the WSM, stable around 250*, a little lower than the WSM, but I could load it up around lunch time and we’d have BBQ for dinner without taking a lot of time out of my work day. In March, the Brethren that was interested in the Beast before, contacted me and said he had decided to pour a slab and wanted her if she was still available. Hell yes.

This started the nightmare of the shipping process. I went back to the company I had talked to before, the price had gone up, of course. So, I got a bunch of buddies together and we moved the smoker out to the driveway and we built a pallet around it. Finally the day arrived and the shipper came, notice I didn’t say shippers. The pallet jack he had on the truck was a one size fits every pallet except the one we built, so we had to build a new pallet using their jack measurements. Finally, a week later, a shipper (again, just one guy) came again to pick up the 1900 pounds of smoker and pallet. Me, him, and a neighbor who just happened to come home got it barely loaded onto the truck and off it went.

This is the point where the story should end, but this is my luck we are talking about, so no. They went to drop it off at the new owner’s house and realized they couldn’t get it off the truck, so had to reschedule. The second time, on April 19th, 2016, they were finally able to get the pallet on solid ground, but it was obvious that something was wrong. We don’t know what actually happened, but it appears that they dropped it. From some height. Hard enough that the metal casters broke through new 2 X 4’s spaced an inch apart and covered with 1” plywood. Did over $200 worth of repairable damage to the smoker and shredded the custom cover I had made for it. Good thing we had the insurance. It took another couple weeks of dealing with the insurance, and ordering replacements for everything, and the ordeal was finally behind me.

The Brethren in Washington got a smoker that he is in love with. I got the smoker I should have bought in the first place, and learned a very expensive lesson. They say look before you leap. In this case, buying a smaller stick burner for a couple hundred dollars and figuring out if that was what I really wanted to do, and deciding against it would have saved me a lot of time, stress, headaches, and probably a couple grand when all was finally said and done.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
SmittyJonz

LSG 24 x 48 $2595

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/24--x4...pe-Smoker.html

Gator Pit 24 x 48 $3495

http://www.gatorpit.net/2448-smoker.html

Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'd look at the LSG vertical offset. More space in a smaller footprint.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
SmittyJonz

Pitmaker 24" x 48" $2500

http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=67759341

Pits by JJ 24" x 48" $2500

https://pitsbyjj.com/?product=jj-24x48-smoker

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-12-2017 at 06:12 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I think either I or Smitty scared him off... (kidding)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #11
SmittyJonz

Really I'd drive North to Ennis and get a Johnson T Pit . $1680 ....... a Vertical Horizontal Double Reverse Flow- Oh Ya.!!

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/20-t-pit/

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-12-2017 at 06:54 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I think either I or Smitty scared him off... (kidding)
LOL No, still here.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

Between the two you are looking at, LSG is a much better value. Both are great cookers but I think LSG offers more attention to detail on the little things like hidden door stops in the hinges instead of on top of the cooker and welds on the inside of the cook chamber door instead of the outside. They also offer bigger things like a 1/2" thick laser cut charcoal grate and a grill on top of the firebox included in the price. In the end, you can't make a bad choice with any of the names mentioned above. I'd recommend the 24" pipe to get more usable space on the second shelf. Keep in mind, whichever size you get, subtract about 4" for unusable space on the width of the grate. 40" cookers only have 36" of grate width.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Terry, thanks for the write up. Stickburners are definitely to be baby sat, but tending a fire is what makes BBQ so appealing to me. I'm probably going to go for LSG VO with charcoal basket and BBQ Guru for some set and forget quality while still being able to poke at a fire. The beauty about BBQ is it's big enough for all.

To the OP, I'd go LSG cause the Gator prices do NOT include tuning plates and the upgrades are WAY more costly. It's how a Gator 24 x 48 loaded with upgraded features ends up up in the $5K range with shipping pushing it way higher.

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
JacksBBQ
Take a breath!

LSG is hard to go wrong with. I've got one of their big vertical offsets and the build quality is top notch. I think their prices are a lot better than most of the other Houston pit builders. I really like their fire box damper design. Not really a fan of those spinning ones that gator uses. Just one more thing that can bind up. My vertical offset is stupid easy to run to. I did a brisket on Sunday and I might have spent a grand total of 30 minutes jacking around with it over the course of the day.

Not a horizontal, but here is a full album for mine.

https://imgur.com/a/KITNm

Last edited by JacksBBQ; 09-12-2017 at 07:32 PM..
JacksBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote