MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Av8er
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thawed brisket?

So I started a brisket thawing this morning to smoke tomorrow but due to unexpected circumstances that’s not going to happen. How long will you typically let meat sit thawed in the fridge before smoking it? It’s gonna have have to be next weekend now before I can smoke it. It still partially frozen but should be totally thawed mid day tomorrow while sitting in the fridge. Just don’t want it to go bad!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Smoking Piney
Babbling Farker

A cryo-sealed brisket should hold OK for a week properly refrigerated.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
Av8er
Full Fledged Farker

She is definitely cryo sealed. It just scares me because I don’t know how long it was thawed in the market either.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
WilliamKY
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : William

I'm no expert but assuming it was properly refrigerated at the market and frozen and then thawed I think you are fine. It's my understanding that oxygen getting to the meat accelerates spoilage. No air getting through that cryovac, just keep it cold.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
She is definitely cryo sealed. It just scares me because I don’t know how long it was thawed in the market either.
If it's sealed and their is no air pockets in the purge bigger than a quarter, your good. Try to put it in the coldest part of the fridge.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
kevinstaggs
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Kevin

This is just Okie math, but... the highest end beef steaks are dry aged 60+ days. I can’t imagine that a cryo sealed brisket is going to go bad in a week. Keep it simple - when you take it out of the packaging smell it... you’ll know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Av8er
Full Fledged Farker

All good info!
Thanks!!!