• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Big Green Egg Table

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My red oak table for the egg is in progress. I have New Year's Eve off from work, so I should be finished building in the morning and start the finishing process. I have a HVLP sprayer, so I'll have several coats of water based satin Poly on it in the afternoon.

I'm not a master woodworker. I do best with small pieces or those that can survive a few mistakes. The bigger they get, the more difficult it is to correct your mistakes. So far, this thing is square and as well built as I know how. Pretty proud of my work so far. Taking a lot of lumber though.

Here's a picture of my shop.

Attachments

• BGE Table 003 [640x480].JPG
    BGE Table 003 [640x480].JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 432
  • BGE Table 004 [640x480].JPG
    BGE Table 004 [640x480].JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 425
  • BGE Table 005 [640x480].JPG
    BGE Table 005 [640x480].JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 425
  • BGE Table 007 [640x480].JPG
    BGE Table 007 [640x480].JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 427
Todd, that's looking great!
Of course, it's only photos, but I can't see anything wrong. Nice shop too. I'd love to have that kind of space.

Todd, that's looking great!
Of course, it's only photos, but I can't see anything wrong. Nice shop too. I'd love to have that kind of space.

Thanks. We have a walk out basement and the shop is the third garage. Its 20x40. Basically two cars deep. A nice set up. Gets a little loud upstairs when I'm running the thickness planer along with dust collection. :cool:

My red oak table for the egg is in progress. I have New Year's Eve off from work, so I should be finished building in the morning and start the finishing process. I have a HVLP sprayer, so I'll have several coats of water based satin Poly on it in the afternoon.

I'm not a master woodworker. I do best with small pieces or those that can survive a few mistakes. The bigger they get, the more difficult it is to correct your mistakes. So far, this thing is square and as well built as I know how. Pretty proud of my work so far. Taking a lot of lumber though.

Here's a picture of my shop.

That piece of tile looks familiar - Your table (and shop) puts me to shame for sure. Good stuff Todd!

i'll be needin three of those!

lookin perfect!

That piece of tile looks familiar

I'm thinking about taking the tile back for under the Egg and getting an 18' x 18" piece of granite. Lowe's had a black one about 3/4" thick for under $9. Think the granite would hold up to the heat better than the 1/4" ceramic tile?

Tile is the same as I used for my cutting board on top of mine. Framed it with some 1/4 x 2 oak. I saw the marble you're talking about, and it would be the ticket. I used gray concrete 12x12 stepping stone @ $1.27 (Cheap mod).

I'm thinking about taking the tile back for under the Egg and getting an 18' x 18" piece of granite. Lowe's had a black one about 3/4" thick for under $9. Think the granite would hold up to the heat better than the 1/4" ceramic tile?

man, i'm not sure about that. seems like it though and the thicker the better.

one thing you might want to consider is ash removal in your table design.

Tile is the same as I used for my cutting board on top of mine. Framed it with some 1/4 x 2 oak. I saw the marble you're talking about, and it would be the ticket. I used gray concrete 12x12 stepping stone @ $1.27 (Cheap mod).

I actually have a bunch of pavers left over from our front walk and have even looked at the 2" concrete round stepping stones. But figured if I'm making this out of oak, I'm going to make it look nice all the way around. If I didn't already have about 400 board feet of roughed 5/4 oak and 8/4 RO, I would be using Douglas Fir 2x4's. :wink:

man, i'm not sure about that. seems like it though and the thicker the better.

one thing you might want to consider is ash removal in your table design.

Will use a metal broom pan thingie.

Not a master woodworker?.?.?...... My ass, Delta table saw, Milwakee Radial Arm saw, a whole rack of 48" clamps, and a whole shop Delta Dust collection system.....I am sure you are well past bird houses and simple tables.

And just to be my father in law (his shop is the sickest I have ever seen): "looks like you burned the blade alittle on the cross cuts towards the far bottomof every cut. Your slide my be out of true right"

If i still had my woodworking business i would hire you in a second. Looks great. Man i miss my shop:cry:

Still shake my head at that score. A great find indeed!!!!!!!

Congrats

Dan

Not a master woodworker?.?.?...... My ass, Delta table saw, Milwakee Radial Arm saw, a whole rack of 48" clamps, and a whole shop Delta Dust collection system.....I am sure you are well past bird houses and simple tables.

And just to be my father in law (his shop is the sickest I have ever seen): "looks like you burned the blade alittle on the cross cuts towards the far bottomof every cut. Your slide my be out of true right"

You are right that my radial arm saw is not 100% true. Its about as good as I can get. I've fiddled with that thing a ton.

You don't even see the mortising machine, spindle sander, and spindle shaper. :wink: My favorite tool in the whole shop is the Delta drum sander. I've done about 50-60 chess boards using that thing.

Looks good Todd. If it's not too late you might sneak an extra brace under the lower shelf where the egg will sit. I could never make something like that but the guy who made mine did that and it makes sense.

In my book - anyone that has a planer and dust collection system - is a master woodworker!

In my book anyone who can cut a farking straight line is a master woodworker! :rolleyes: :oops:

I am not good with tools. Period. I've faced it and can live with it.

Now... Who want to build a table for my Large Egg for me? :rolleyes:

Looks good Todd.....amazing how it always takes more lumber than it looks like it would:biggrin: Nice shop too:biggrin:

Back