Am I really in denial?

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So this year was my first year of experiencing competition BBQ. Boogiesnap (Dylan of Smo' Q) was kind enough to show me the ropes and let me pit bitch for him for 3 or 4 events:clap:. Then I went to Sam's Club Medford, NY and did my first competition ever. Scored well and was invited to Chesapeake for the regional this past weekend. Got my ass kicked by some great teams (though I did take #1 in Chicken). :tsk:

So, on my own, I have done two competitions, won 3 trophies and got 4 calls :blabla: (#1 pork, #3 ribs, #3 overall in Medford and #1 in Chicken in VA).
screenshot20120918at119.png

I am very pleased with these results but I don't have the time or money to do any more this season.

I think I am in denial... I want to cook more (and can) but if its not in a parking lot or field with a bunch of other BBQ enthusiasts, it doesn't feel like it matters. :crazy:

Is this normal or should I visit a Psychotherapist? Something tells me this is normal for competitors.

This will be the lowest number of contests i have cooked since 2005. I cant wait for the season to be over...

....and.......the HOOK has been set deep.

Congrats!

....and I'm so sorry for you. :becky:

I'm sorry brother....its all down hill from here....my family has to tell me there is a comp. coming up next month we should enter and maybe you should start getting some practice in now....they know that is about the only way I will fire up the pit now :wink:....cooking at home is fun but just doesn't have that same pressure, adrenaline type of rush you get from crunch time at a comp. ....and that's what I like most about the comp. end of cooking.....THE ADRENALINE RUSH!!!!

Wow, I hope this isn't a widespread feeling among competition cooks. If so, it is yet another reason I don't want to enter competition BBQ. I can't imagine not wanting to spend a sunny Sunday cooking in the backyard just for the joy of cooking, and the satisfaction of a good, home-cooked meal.

CD

Wow, I hope this isn't a widespread feeling among competition cooks. If so, it is yet another reason I don't want to enter competition BBQ. I can't imagine not wanting to spend a sunny Sunday cooking in the backyard just for the joy of cooking, and the satisfaction of a good, home-cooked meal.

CD

You will, but you will have competing in the back of your mind. Sometimes, a light bulb comes on about competing whilst cooking for fun.

Thanks everyone.

@CaseyDog - its not a bad thing. I love to cook but the thrill/adrenaline rush you get from competition is quite addictive.

We just finished our 7th and last competition of the 1st year in KCBS. The entire last competition my teammates and I kept saying, "I sure am glad this is the last one of the year. I need a break from BBQ." Then we got a 5th place rib call and we were all sad that we have to wait until April/May for the next one. The last one of the year is bitter sweet.

On the way home from the competition I was looking online for 2013 and already building the schedule. It's crazy addicting and expensive, but a passion and way of life for most of us. It's one of the hardest and most rewarding things I have done.

Eggspert BBQ
3 Lg BGE
Stoker
Orange thermapen

Don't ask those kind of questions. Enjoy the success you've had. Well done, brother. :clap2:

And you're screwed. Every contest I go home cussing and say I'm not coming back. By the time I'm 2 miles from home, I'm thinking about what I can do different for the next one.

Enjoy the moment, and keep it in perspective. BBQ burnout is quite common. Don't let competition bbq take the fun out of "regular" bbq.

ML

Lets see how you feel after a stretch of 3 or 4 contests where it rained sideways and you don't get a call.

Thats when you know you're in trouble!

This will be the lowest number of contests i have cooked since 2005. I cant wait for the season to be over...

I think I have you beat.. I'm looking at 4 for this year... how many are you at? Have you thought more about Springfield?

Sometimes i wish i never got started. I cant separate the two, back yard and comp. i think i enjoyed backyard more than comp before

• Thanks
Reactions: mjl
I, too, am a rookie comp cook. I cook comps twice a month and for my family & friends the other 2.

I get more enjoyment out of family and friends eating than I do comps. Comp results are fleeting week to week. Compliments live on.

Comps do help me "feed" my competitive nature by giving me an awesome platform to test my cooking skills in a socially mellow environment. This balances well with my other competitive outlet: hockey.

Oh, BTW...NICE chicken in Chesapeake. It must have been awesome b/c I saw/tasted the 2nd place bird and I know how good it was! :clap2:

Last edited:
I know how you feel. This is our first year and Smokin on the the Bay was supposed to be our last comp of the year but just had to get one more in so we are doing Woodstock, Va October 19-20. That will be the last one of the year.......I Think...lol

So this year was my first year of experiencing competition BBQ. Boogiesnap (Dylan of Smo' Q) was kind enough to show me the ropes and let me pit bitch for him for 3 or 4 events:clap:. Then I went to Sam's Club Medford, NY and did my first competition ever. Scored well and was invited to Chesapeake for the regional this past weekend. Got my ass kicked by some great teams (though I did take #1 in Chicken). :tsk:

So, on my own, I have done two competitions, won 3 trophies and got 4 calls :blabla: (#1 pork, #3 ribs, #3 overall in Medford and #1 in Chicken in VA).

I hate you. It took us 2 years to get our first walk.

Just kidding. :wink: Congrats on your success! :clap2: It is addictive and we love it too. We're in the same boat as you and we're done for the year. But we're saving our pennies, looking for a few sponsors, and looking forward to next year!

Back