Pitcooker T - The Truth about Hanging Briskets in the PBC

Also anything that drips out or runs off the meat flows downward which might help balance out the temperature ?? Sort of a built in cooling system :).

Bill

Brilliant! It could be The Stall, becoming greater and greater as the juices slide down the meat, giving more and more evaporative cooling. (Actually not The Stall, but a stall, happening continuously during the cook.) And maybe it's also, as Pitmaster T suggests, because the fire is not as hot as people think.

By the way, has anyone reported making measurements of temperatures just a little ways above the fire in barrel cookers? I've read the first 165 pages of the big UDS thread, a pittance, (!) along with a few of the last pages, and such a thing could have been reported there, but if so I have forgotten it. (And somehow didn't have the wit to include it in my notes.)

By the way, has anyone reported making measurements of temperatures just a little ways above the fire in barrel cookers? I've read the first 165 pages of the big UDS thread, a pittance, (!) along with a few of the last pages, and such a thing could have been reported there, but if so I have forgotten it. (And somehow didn't have the wit to include it in my notes.)

No but i have been thinking about trying it my next cook this weekend

Great idea... honestly I've never put my hand above the firebox of my UDS running at 250. I've only ever felt hot coals in an open grilling type situation where the goal is to get em screaming hot>

Rifraf, please do this and report your results! With the PBC burning at its default temp of around 275, the coals are much more subdued and maybe the heat isn't as hot as we think it is. Later on in the cook it will probably be even cooler with all the drippings

With the PBC burning at its default temp of around 275, the coals are much more subdued and maybe the heat isn't as hot as we think it is. Later on in the cook it will probably be even cooler with all the drippings

I believe the combination of both to be true. I hung these wings in my extended Smokey Joe and the blackened bottoms were only 3" above the live coals. I ran the cooker at 325F, measured near the top.
Despite the blackened bottoms and being so close to the coals, those bottom wings were not overcooked.

P1070057_zps357edc85.jpg

P1070051_zps1e4f4df5.jpg

Does any one know what the temp range is on the ET-73 Smoker Probe and the
ET-73 Food Probes??? Just curious because I can't seem to find specs on them anywhere.

Next time I hang ribs I'll take my infrared thermometer and see if I can get a sensible reading off the ribs or the smoker body itself just above the coals. Probably not as accurate as dangling a wired probe all the way down, which I can also do. I'm also curious to find this out myself.

Next time I hang ribs I'll take my infrared thermometer and see if I can get a sensible reading off the ribs or the smoker body itself just above the coals. Probably not as accurate as dangling a wired probe all the way down, which I can also do. I'm also curious to find this out myself.

So??????????????????????

Thanks Donnie for this Video :thumb:...Picking up my packer from the butcher on Saturday for prep and a Sunday run on my PBC. Will be the first time for me doing a Brisket and this video gave me some more confidence.

Will take lots of pics (Good or Bad) to post hopefully Monday or Tuesday.

Peace out!

Frogcake

Great video! Sure seems like the PBC did a great job on the brisket with your help.

One thing though...you really should be very careful about letting meat come into contact with aluminum foil...

:laugh:

Back