First Time Judging Thoughts <not mine>

W

wsm

A friend of mine judged for the first time at Arthur - he has been cooking (competition) for a while. I asked him for his impressions of "being on the other side of the tables. He said

QUOTING
Arthur was a blast. I sat next to a guy who was judging his 30th contest--a friend of Mike Lake. The food was overall impressive. Lots of big gun teams.

I primarily wanted to see what other teams turned in & I got that done. Interestingly, I think our team has not appreciated how important the initial impression is from the appearance viewing. I found myself "suspecting" how good something would taste based upon the appearance. Usually I was right in my supicions--maybe psychological. I followed KCBS tenderness guidelines & gave the best tasting brisket I ever had a 7 for tenderness because it fell apart. Same with too tender ribs.

I would definitely do it again. I will also try to turn in choices of brisket &
pork when I cook. Sliced, pulled, & chopped in the same box really made an
impression on me.
END QUOTE

So I guess my friend would agree with those who suggest that cooks try judging - at least once or twice.

Good Quote WSM

Mike Lake is a down home kinda guy.

He's a great ambassador for the sport, and took Dr BBQ spot on the KCBS board this year.

Spoke with him (Mike) a number of times this year in emails and such.

He instructed Greg and I at a CBJ class in Chicago

I agree. Three members of my team attended judging school this September and we all think that is it not enough just to attend the school. To really have any benefit to us as a team we think we need to judge a contest or two also.

Back