Competion 1/2 Chicken Help

W

Wannabe

:-D Hello Fellow Cookers,

Need some advice on Competition 1/2 Chicken Joint In, I have been doing it as a Butt Chicken but am second guessing the process. Been reading alot on the Web and now I am totally on confused and debating on what to try..
I haven't hit with the receipe but have taken 12th, 8th, & this last one 14th.
Thanks for your time and the helpful advice.. :wave:

There are a lot of folks that cook award winnin' chicken in just about every way you can imagine. A 500 degree grill in less than an hour to 4 hours on a smoker.

Here's how we do it: Remove the backbone and split the chickens in half. Brine overnite in a ziplock bag. Season, then cook on a WSM at 275 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Glaze during the last 30 minutes of the cook with sauce.

You just have to find a way that works for you and your equipment. Hope this helps.

There are a lot of folks that cook award winnin' chicken in just about every way you can imagine. A 500 degree grill in less than an hour to 4 hours on a smoker.

Here's how we do it: Remove the backbone and split the chickens in half. Brine overnite in a ziplock bag. Season, then cook on a WSM at 275 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Glaze during the last 30 minutes of the cook with sauce.

You just have to find a way that works for you and your equipment. Hope this helps.

+1

You can't go wrong with that technique above. Monitor the internal temperature on the bird.

Wannabe,
What is your cooking process and what type of cooker are you using? Is it IBCA comps you are cooking in? The advice above is really good if you are cooking on a WSM. I have been doing mine on a weber performer (kettle on a cart) so my temp and method is a little different. However, brining poultry is wonderful and will help you make moist chicken.

+1

You can't go wrong with that technique above. Monitor the internal temperature on the bird.
Thanks Wes. Forgot to add we pick the half that we won't turn in and stick it with a probe so we know when to glaze. We monitor the temp throughout the cook.

First, I would like to thank you all for your response. It is very appreciated.
Cooking on a wood smoker pit. Use a combination of pecan & red oak.
Cooking Process is 250-275 degrees for 4 hours. Turning every 15 to 20 minutes.
I inject the whole chicken with an injector, rub on spices, & marinate in a special sauce and seal in a ziplock till it is time to put it on the pit.
1st time on the TGCA circuit not sure on what they are lookin for?

I cook in an egg about 300ish. There is a fine line between undercooked and perfectly cooked.

Back