MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #31
mrp116
Knows what a fatty is.

Pork Butt, no question.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 AM   #32
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Lamb Shanks

Old 02-17-2019, 02:08 AM   #33
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I rarely go much more than a week between smokes but when I do I need ribs. Pork or beef but it’s always ribs.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #34
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I haven't had any long breaks from smoking but it occurred to me that I haven't cooked any pork ribs in quite some time. I got some Victory Lane Cherry Bomb rub and I found a great cherry bbq sauce recipe. So yeah, ribs are my priority soon.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #35
dadsr4

I'm doing CSR's in the snow right now.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #36
Rocky Branch BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Robert

A smaller "quick cooking" butt or ribs.
Rocky Branch BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #37
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

I haven't made pulled pork in a very long time. I have found that I like to cook it overnight, due to the long cook time. However, I don't want to cook it in my Humphrey's, as that cooker is in a pretty much permanent location on my back deck. I don't know if I could sleep peacefully with a live smoker on a dried out wooden deck that close to my house. So when I do pulled pork, I move the WSM out into the yard, a little further from the house. The Humphrey's is too heavy to move out into the yard, unless someone helps me, and there's no one here strong enough to do that.

The problem with the WSM is that it tends to run out of fuel and water on overnight butt cooks. So I have to get up to top those off. I saw a thread on here some time ago where someone was saying they don't understand the need for overnight cooks. I don't disagree with that. Maybe I should cook hotter so they get done faster. That way, an early start in the morning has us eating fresh pulled pork for dinner.
wire-it-up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #38
longhair75
Full Fledged Farker

Salsiccia Italiana!

The first thing off my smoker is always Italian sausage.

[B]Laeti vescimur nos subacturis[/B]
Cooking with an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, a Copper Weber Performer Premium and 17" Blackstone portable griddle.
longhair75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #39
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John
Default What is The First Thing You Want to Smoke After A Long Break From Using Your Smoker?

Pork shoulder is always my go to

Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 AM   #40
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire-it-up View Post
We have two freezers, and I'm not sure why, but I've never stocked up on meat and put it in the freezer. Since I got into making barbecue a few years ago, I've always purchased whatever I want to cook on the day I cook it. I just head to the store that morning and pick something out, bring it home and prep it, and in the cooker it goes.

Do you notice any quality difference between fresh meat and frozen? I don't really cook meat that has been frozen, so I have no way to know if freezing affects quality. I suspect it doesn't affect it much, if at all, or people wouldn't stock up.

As for the Humphrey's being a lot of work... I guess it kind of is when it comes to cleaning. Either that, or I'm anal about not wanting to eat food out of a dirty cooker. I am a borderline germaphobe - I'll admit that. When I say that in front of my wife, she looks at me and says "Borderline?" LOL
Cook in pans and clean up only takes a few minutes
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #41
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

I've considered cooking in pans. Question... do you notice any difference in smoke flavor when cooking in pans? Is there less contact between smoke and meat? Do you notice a difference in bark formation when cooking in pans? I know a lot of people use pans, so it must not impact flavor or quality much, if at all. I use pans occasionally in the smoker, but the recipes I use them on don't call for pans for the beginning of the cook.
wire-it-up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #42
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Ribs are my goto when i haven't had bbq in awhile.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote