MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete
Default Chargriller Premium Kettle - Finally Fired It Up

$35 Brick Seek find.
Pros:
Taller than my weber kettle
Thermometer is accurate. Well at least it matched the Igrill mini that was at grate level.
Shelves on both sides
Easy to dump ash pan
Hinged lid
Heavier than I thought it would be
It's red!
Cons:
Grate at the same level as the cooker.... nearly lost a sausage as it rolled over the edge.
Intake and exhaust don't close airtight enough to shut down cooker.

Cook went as expected. No surprises. Everything works like it should. I thought it was gonna be really, really cheaply made. I'm pleasantly surprised. Since i already have a weber I probably would have never even considered it. Thanks Brick Seek.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

That’s some fine looking chicken right there! Is that basically a Weber kettle knock off? The Weber kettle IMO is the best charcoal grill ever made. Simple and it just works :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking chicken. Our local WM has one on clearance for $74 but I'm still not tempted. I have two Weber Kettles and two Performers so I don't need it.

rwalters, Weber Kettles are nice but I would have to disagree that they are the best charcoal grill out there. Well, maybe for the price but my PK grills do a better job than my Weber's ever have.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
That’s some fine looking chicken right there! Is that basically a Weber kettle knock off? The Weber kettle IMO is the best charcoal grill ever made. Simple and it just works :)

I agree with that. I much prefer my Weber 26 to my PK Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Nice looking chicken. Our local WM has one on clearance for $74 but I'm still not tempted. I have two Weber Kettles and two Performers so I don't need it.

rwalters, Weber Kettles are nice but I would have to disagree that they are the best charcoal grill out there. Well, maybe for the price but my PK grills do a better job than my Weber's ever have.

No worries... that’s why I said “IMO”... :)

The PK is one of the few common grills mentioned around here that I have never cooked on, so I cannot say authoritatively that the kettle is better... but I do think there is a reason that the kettle is the best selling charcoal grill on planet earth. Price, durability and functionality... it does have a lot going for it. That said, and I have mentioned this before... the day that PK unveils a model that exceeds 500 sq”, I’ll probably be the first in line. Then I can do a side by side and make my claims w/ a bit more authority... lol.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #6
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I think it's more a single wall version of the Weber Summit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #7
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Shame the grates are flush or i'd be a hell of a deal.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2019, 05:06 AM   #8
16Adams

Fire it back up and do it again/- Fatty? Inaugural Fatty?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #9
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
No worries... that’s why I said “IMO”... :)

The PK is one of the few common grills mentioned around here that I have never cooked on, so I cannot say authoritatively that the kettle is better... but I do think there is a reason that the kettle is the best selling charcoal grill on planet earth. Price, durability and functionality... it does have a lot going for it. That said, and I have mentioned this before... the day that PK unveils a model that exceeds 500 sq”, I’ll probably be the first in line. Then I can do a side by side and make my claims w/ a bit more authority... lol.
Weber has done a great job of promoting their grills over the years and have sold them in many different stores so that people have had easy access to see them. PK's have had a more limited exposure and was out of business for quite a few years.

For the price, you can't beat a Weber Kettle and they are pretty durable. I cooked on a Kettle for many years before I started trying out other grills. I think the PK is more functional and I've had much better luck smoking on a PK compared to a Weber Kettle. IMO, the vent system on the PK is superior to the kettle. I prefer the old daisy wheel lower vents on the older Kettles compared the one touch system they use now.