Greasy Hill Smokers

I look forward to your continuing adventures with the new rig! Let us know how it goes!

Also, I dig the tree fort in that first photo from today.

Have fun!

Dude that warming rack is pretty bad. How did they let that get delivered to a customer?
The warming rack definately needs some work. It should have been corrected by the welder before I picked it up. I also should have checked it better before I hauled it home. Again for the price, I'll fix it myself lol. The middle rack is the only one not level. The bar on the right side that the rack sits on isnt level...its higher in the back than it is the front.

That's the only issue I have encountered so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hey Little Pig....
Congrats on your new cooker! I’d be stoked to have one of those! Great buy! Can’t wait to see some cooks!

Hey Little Pig....
Congrats on your new cooker! I’d be stoked to have one of those! Great buy! Can’t wait to see some cooks!
Unfortunately I've been hit with the flu or I would be cooking today! I did manage to get it seasoned for a few hours. Next weekend I will definately be firing it up!

Nice smoker. I’m pretty sure my buddy’s cousin owns that place. He’s posted some nice rigs on his Facebook page.

I like that one better, as the round lid has no counterweight, so this one would make access simpler... Firebox and warmer looks the same...

The warming rack definately needs some work. It should have been corrected by the welder before I picked it up. I also should have checked it better before I hauled it home. Again for the price, I'll fix it myself lol. The middle rack is the only one not level. The bar on the right side that the rack sits on isnt level...its higher in the back than it is the front.

That's the only issue I have encountered so far.

Looks like a good cooker but that warming box is unacceptable to be honest. Send them a pic and give them an opportunity to make it right...maybe they'll cut you a check or straight up just pay for what it costs to get it repaired. Newer companies might make mistakes, but given the opportunity to make it right they usually will.

You've posted pics of their work and that warming box is really poor. If you don't give them an opportunity to fix it (at least in some manner) people might think they have cruddy craftsmanship all around. Giving them a chance to make it right can show how committed they are / are not to taking care of their customers.

Looks like a good cooker for $1900. I hope you feel better soon and start cooking up a storm.

Looks like a good cooker but that warming box is unacceptable to be honest. Send them a pic and give them an opportunity to make it right...maybe they'll cut you a check or straight up just pay for what it costs to get it repaired. Newer companies might make mistakes, but given the opportunity to make it right they usually will.

You've posted pics of their work and that warming box is really poor. If you don't give them an opportunity to fix it (at least in some manner) people might think they have cruddy craftsmanship all around. Giving them a chance to make it right can show how committed they are / are not to taking care of their customers.

Looks like a good cooker for $1900. I hope you feel better soon and start cooking up a storm.
Thank you for the comments. I have reached out to them to see what my options are. I'm really hopening a partial refund that is just enough to cover the cost of getting it fixed with be what happens. I really dont want to make another 8 hour drive round trip just to get the grates fixed. I did have to sign some documentation stating it is being purchased "as is" so we will see what happens... It shouldnt be un-level like that, but mistakes can happen. I also should have done a better job inspecting it before I hauled it home. What can I say...I was a little excited at the time lol.

Either way, it will be an easy thing to fix and it is an awesome cooker. During my initial burn it held temps great. There was only about a 25 degree temp difference from the far left side to the far right side of the cooking chamber so that is promising. It does need to be sealed up a bit, but I expected that.

An 8 hour drive to get it fixed it totally out of the question, but I'm glad you reached out to them to see how they will handle the situation.

Most RF cookers should hold MUCH better than 25° left to right, so there are a few things you can do to easily change that temp difference. Most people (myself included) started off with the cooker perfectly level, but that's not always the way these RF cookers are designed. Try adjusting your trailer jack so that the end opposite the firebox is just a few degrees negative from level...ie lower the trailer jack just a bit and see if that evens things out.

LOTS of physics going on inside an RF cooker, but the gist of it is that by lowering that end of the cooker you're forcing hot air to go down (when it likes to go up), and therefore you're slowing down the flow of air a bit and in turn it should help to even things out a bit.

* Is the firebox end hotter or is the trailer jack end hotter?

Personally I wouldn't worry about sealing anything...with a good seasoning and a few cooks most of those gaps should take care of themselves.

And don't beat yourself up about not inspecting the cooker properly. Nobody would be able to catch everything in all the excitement. The great thing is that cooker should work just fine and make some mighty fine BBQ, so don't sweat the small stuff.

Good luck and I hope they help you out in same manner with the fix.

I even mine out by leaving the cook chamber doors open for 15-20 minutes while it's coming up to temp. A little trick that my good friend buttburner discovered. 25 doesn't seem too bad to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

congrats on the new smoker, looks like a dang nice smoker to me. I bet that middle rack in the rib box is 100% functionable as is . I say get to cooking ( when you are over the flu ) and have a blast with that smoker . I am gonna guess it will put out as good of bbq as the high end smokers out there . ( Shirley , lang , lsg , ect )

Quick update. I sealed the cooker up with some gasket from bbqsmokermods.com. Sealed the cooking chamber with some oven door rope gasket from Lowes. Installed two 3 inch river country adjustable thermometers. The ones that were on it were very cheap and not accurate at all.

Fired her up this morning to throw on some butts and whatever else I have in my freezer. Its holding rock solid at 250 on both sides. I'm putting one split on about every 45-60 minutes.

I think I'm going to love this thing despite the warming rack problem. I honestly dont see myself using it much anyway and would have been cool if it wasnt even there. Today I am using it to preheat my splits so they light faster when I throw one in the firebox!

Next thing I would like to do is get a fire basket built for it. Not necessary at all, but may help with fuel efficiency a bit.

Back