MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty
Default Boston in June

I will be heading to Boston for a graduation in the beginning of June and will have a couple free days to see the sights and will be staying in the Roxbury area.
A couple of questions.
The best places to drag a couple of kids around ages 6 and 13?
Will I need a car?
Thanks

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
zmhill
Knows what a fatty is.

I haven't been home recently enough to really know any good BBQ joints to suggest. But if you're a sports fan, take in a Sox game at Fenway if you can.

------
Check out my BBQ Instagram!
@headforthehillsbbq
zmhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

No great BBQ in the city. Sweet Cheeks is decent and family friendly, so that's an option. But Boston is a seafood city. I suggested tasting the local flora and fauna via Row 34, Union Oyster, and walking the streets in the North End.
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

You might also consider the Aquarium, though it's a bit pricey. They usually have a dolphin show (that is also additional cost).

Then there's the Freedom Trail which provides a nice walking experience through the old town and along the harbor.

You won't need a car unless you plan to go outside the city. And the city has enough interesting sights that you won't want to on a 2 free day trip.

You'll likely need to take public transit to get downtown.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
gsmith
Full Fledged Farker

Museum of Science
gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

As people have said you won't need a car in the city. Plenty of taxi's, uber, subway which we call the T. This is an awesome city, especially if you're a history buff. Roxbury can be a rough area of town at night though. Everything is more expensive in this state.
things to do?: New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, Duck tour, Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall, Franklin Park Zoo (during the day), North End and the North End Church, Fenway Park, Boston Garden, Foxborough Stadium (Go Pats!) is about 25-30 minutes from the city but they have a huge shopping and bar/resturaunt scene around the field- fun time even if no game happening. We have tons of eateries but very scarce on BBQ. You will have some of the best clam chowder you've ever had here. (Unless you like that crap made with tomato- Farkin New yorkers) ((everything New York sucks!!!))
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

I want take a trip up that way soon because my bucket list includes a tour of the USS Constitution, especially since I am former Navy. My wife would go for the seafood restaurants, so win-win!
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

There are a couple things I would use a car for:
1. BBQ in Sturbridge. B.T.'s is in my top 5 and I always make a trip there if I'm within 50 miles. The chef is CIA trained and it shows. When I first started going, it was easy to walk in and get served. The last time I went the line wrapped around the restaurant, but it went fast. You can also call in an order. Burgers are the best I've ever had also:
https://www.btsmokehouse.com/
2. Concord and Lexington. When I have time, I like to head to the place where it all started. Also, the Colonial Inn is a bit of a historical eats. Longfellow used to hang out there and write his poetry in the restaurant. It's been many years since I've eaten there, but the food was great when I was there:
http://www.concordscolonialinn.com/
3. If you're staying for a week, you might consider a drive up to Maine.

Otherwise, no need for a car. Boston is easy walking and public transport is good.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
I want take a trip up that way soon because my bucket list includes a tour of the USS Constitution, especially since I am former Navy. My wife would go for the seafood restaurants, so win-win!
I recommend a visit to see this ship. Afterwards, read the Patrick O’Brian book The Fortune of War. This gives a terrific understanding of life and times in early 19th century Boston.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
upStomp
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
There are a couple things I would use a car for:
1. BBQ in Sturbridge. B.T.'s is in my top 5 and I always make a trip there if I'm within 50 miles. The chef is CIA trained and it shows. When I first started going, it was easy to walk in and get served. The last time I went the line wrapped around the restaurant, but it went fast. You can also call in an order. Burgers are the best I've ever had also:
https://www.btsmokehouse.com/
Agreed. BT's is the best BBQ in the area, if not in all of New England. The only ding I'd give them is that they don't do burnt ends - they slice the whole brisket. Well worth the trip. I just had some Friday, actually.

Oh...and their thick-sliced bacon (take home to cook) is frickin' amazing.

[B][SIZE="3"]:yo: [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]BBQ Brethren 2018 Tri-Tip Master!!![/COLOR] :yo:[/SIZE][/B]
upStomp is offline   Reply With Quote