MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Default Best stem length for mini WSM thermometer?

Hi all,
I am in the process of building a mini WSM, and I want to mount a thermometer on the tamale pot, but scratching my head over what length stem the thermometer should have: 2 1/2, 3, 4 or more inches?
My forum search for that answer has come up empty.
Thanks.
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Well, I think it will depend a little on the design you are building. Are you going to have any sort of heat sink or diffuser?

I plan to go with something cheap and easy and then I can "calibrate" it and learn what the actual temps are and go from there.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

I would try to get something that would read the temp. in the CENTER of the pot. Ex. if the diameter of the pot is 14 ", i would go for a 6" or 8" stem thermometer. This would put you 1" from actual center. Never seen a 7" long stem thermo. If you are going to use a short stem one, lets say 1 1/2" to 3", the temp reading can be off from 30* to 80* from the center. Unless a defuser will be used. then the differance from the outside to center will be much less.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
[COLOR=Blue]Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
[/COLOR]
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Why do you want to permanently mount a thermo when you can drill a hole and use a probe thermo? You can place it wherever you want, it'll be more accurate and you can use it on other grills or smokers. Everyone keeps talking about how horribly inaccurate and unreliable the grill thermos are, but everyone insists on sticking them in their wsm's. I don't follow the logic. I've been thrilled with the way my ET-732 works in my mini.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
RW
Full Fledged Farker

Colonel00, I'm thinking some sort of diffuser, probably a clay saucer.
Woodbutcher1, thanks, I'll go for a long stem.
Mdboatbum, I've gained an appreciation for onboard thermometers over the years, especially after I get a read on them. And there will be enough times that I will have my Maverick tied up on another smoker/cooker.
RW is offline   Reply With Quote