Alcohol at comps

smoke-n-my-i's

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Please bear with me on this one....

I am only putting this here as it is comp related, but also being the content, it could fit into a couple of other categories.

I was really reluctant to post this, but the more I think about it, and reflect back on it, this is a VERY serious problem

We had a practice comp this weekend. There are probably a few on this site that will know where I am talking abt. I am not going to mention names, teams, or location to keep this private due to the nature of the results.

There was some drinking involved... I got a call this morning before I was to head out and was told NOT to come to the site. There was an accident. At first I was thinking, oh no, someone got burned, cut seriously or something along that line....

It is more serious than that. A person had too much alcohol, took a piece of equipment without permission. Another person was riding on the equipment, it tip over and the rider was taken to the hospital... how badly hurt, at this point I am not sure so I am not going to say.

End results, the driver has or may have at least two charges against him. Theft of the equipment, and DUI.... The whole area was "roped" off as a crime scene, and nobody could leave or enter... that was why I was called, along with the "judges" to be.

My point is this... IF you have to drink, do so responsibly. If you see someone starting to do something "stupid", do your best to stop them, get help if needed, call 911... whatever it takes.

Let's keep these events a fun and safe time for everyone involved.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and listening... keep our two bbq friends in your thoughts and prayers. They will need it.

When I can find out more on the details and how the injured is, I will try to remember to pass it on. I sorta feel responsible, as I was asked to be in charge of the judging.... I just wish I had stayed all night, maybe I could have done something to prevent this....

Bill

Bill, I hope the parties are ok and can come to a resolution, but even if you were responsible for the judging you aren't responsible for teams, especially individuals who can't control themselves.

So was the person who took the equipment not someone well known to the group? Like they didn't know how the person acts when drunk because they haven't been around them much when drinking? What kind of practice was this? One where random people were invited? Just wondering since you posted.

Thanks Neil.

Jason, this was a practice comp with several competition teams doing a practice comp before the season kicks into full gear around here. They are all grown men/women involved.

We were on a loaned business lot. How and where the piece of equipment was, I don't know at this time. All I know is an individual from one of the teams had been drinking. How much, I do not know. Had the other one been drinking? I do not know at this time either.

I am going to try and make a few phone calls later and try to find out more what went on and who was involved. They all were in a "private" business area that was "loaned" to another business owner to use. I sure hope that the two business are not held responsible as what I understand is the piece of equipment belonged to one of them and was being used to transport table, chairs, etc. earlier in the evening.... so my assumption is, the key had been left in it. That still doesn't make it right....

My point is, this probably would not have happened if the parties involved had not had so much alcohol and were thinking properly.... most likely they "were just having some fun"....

We all need to keep our eyes on others if we are going to keep this a fun and safe "sport". I hope this does not squash any future plans for this to continue.

Jason,

BTW, the ones chosen were a few of the ones invited. Yes, as a team member, they probably knew that, but if the team members had all been drinking, like they were when we were leaving last night, they were all kinda "brave" and not thinking clearly.

I am sure KCBS will ban them for life....

This is a joke and was said with tongue firmly planted on my cheek....

Scottie.... :tape:

Luckily this was NOT KCBS sanctioned.... just a fun get together and practice... some fun, huh???

All of the teams "roped" in and couldn't leave until cleared, all "judges" and others could not enter.... Hopefully everyone was notified in time before they got there. I was notified and didn't have to make the 35 mile trip one way... I was thinking of going down to see what I could do to help, but was told not to as they wouldn't let me in.... Guess it's time to make a few calls to make sure all is taken care of.

Gotcha. Sucks that happened. At comps they tend to stress not to get too crazy or they will throw you out. Without those boundaries/repercussions people can get a little too deep in the drink thinking nothing bad can happen. Hopefully it turns out as good as it can.

ok, a little update.

The one that got hurt is in stable condition. From what the info I got, a broken leg, and a smashed nose... no brain damage at last report....he did hit his head on the asphalt from a rather high place.... how far, I don't know.

I am to make another call tomorrow afternoon and will hopefully get more full details.

It's a shame that this happened and I hope that is the extent of his injuries and nothing more.

I've seen some questionable behavior at competitions around here, but nothing truly stupid. The truly stupid things that I have seen happened when the parties were stone sober :-D Like having a 1 lb. propane container next to a charcoal chimney that was lit. Fortunately the only injuries from the resulting explosion was to some folks underwear :rolleyes:

If this were a true BBQ contest, $250 entry, reps, the whole bit, I would think these people would have looked at this as not a party, but a competition, hopefully, drank about 18 beers less.

Oh boy, does this hit home. My brother and the other half of the Two Fat Polocks has an alcohol problem. It is probably the main reason we do not do many contests anymore. He just doesn't know when to say when. In addition, he is a nasty drunk and has embarrassed us more than a couple of times. I guess I wouldn't care too much if he got drunk and just went to sleep, but when he has too much hes gets onwry. He was done his in front of his kids and other teams. It is embarassing for us and especially his wife and kids. It wouldn't bother me one bit if alcohol were banned from every contest and it was sternly enforced. To me drinking too much is a sign of immaturity and selfishness. It is truely a shame that we had to scale back our competing due to his problem, but it is better that he does not hurt himself or others because of his drunken rages at contests. My SIL, Wife and I are getting too old to become baby sitters.

Just as anywhere...drunk people + something cool to play with = oh crap.

No matter what you are into, be it BBQ, mudding, snowmobiling, or underwater basket weaving, there will always be someone who takes it too far drinking. And there will always be a group of those that let them.

Sorry yalls cook went awry,

Neil

So what is the "VERY serious problem" that you think should be addressed? Drinking at contests?

because someone got drunk at a party that had nothing to do with sanctioned competition bbq? save me the hysterics.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if alcohol were banned from every contest and it was sternly enforced. To me drinking too much is a sign of immaturity and selfishness.

I think it is unfair to punish those of us that are responsible with alcohol because there are a few that can not control themselves. Yes, there will be a few that drink too much and do stupid things, but let's deal with them on an individual basis.

Under water basket weaving sounds cool. Is there a book for dummies or a class.

I think it is unfair to punish those of us that are responsible with alcohol because there are a few that can not control themselves. Yes, there will be a few that drink too much and do stupid things, but let's deal with them on an individual basis.

Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I don't want to spoil anyone elses fun but as I said, "It wouldn't bother me one bit if alcohol were banned from every contest and it was sternly enforced". The key words are "It wouldn't bother me". I am not suggesting that they ban alcohol at contests but it it certainly would not "Bother Me" if they did. KAPISH?????

Really, cooking without alcohol would be SUCH a terrible punishment?? Clearly there are cooks that would have to be in serious stealth mode at events like Sam's. :mrgreen:

It's always regrettable when people hurt themselves or others through stupidity. *Most* contest cooks can handle themselves, but there always seems to be somebody who reads the word "contest" as "frat party".

Like it or not, when you've got fire and alcohol AND the public walking through, somebody somewhere is going to file a lawsuit one day. The question is whether to be proactive and address the handling of the relatively few bad apples, or just sit back and wait until something really awful happens.

Rule #1 - Don't be stupid
Rule #2 - If you even think "Is this stupid?" it probably is... see rule #1

Back