anyone ever grill skinless bone-in chicken?

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i'm wondering if anyone has ever grilled skinless bone-in chicken? how did you do it? how did it turn out?

thanks in advance.

Its like grilled skin on chicken, without the skin. :thumb:

Nope,I only have smoked them: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95111&highlight=mom+pron

IMG_2067.jpg

I've grilled skinless, boneless breasts for salads etc. many times. I always brine it to help get some additional moisture. I would think that skinless, bone-in would be fine. I usually give it a sear direct and then finish indirect.

What temp's do you smoke your chicken? Do they change depending on if they are skinless or not?

My UDS was getting on temp when I saw that Mom had removed the skin Phrom the legs...I quickly rushed to the UDS to lock it on Low n Slow.
They layed in the UDS for about 1,5 hours.
I don't think it changed the chicken except...you have no skin.:p

I rub it with olive oil and spices, then cook it along side of skin-on, same time and temp.

My wife and I are not big fans of chicken skin. :hand:

I use thighs; pull off skin and as much fat as possible, then apply a little olive oil and whatever rub I have handy (also very good with greek seasoning).

I do these on my BGE. Grate is on the fire ring, direct cooking at about 375-400* with the lid down. For me, thighs take 20-25 minutes and I flip them every 5 minutes or so- main thing is watch the internal and remove as soon as they are done.

Good luck! :thumb:

I only keep the skin on if Im doing a whole chicken, other than that I pull the skin off and trim the fat and either use a rub or marinate

Marinade it yogurt and spices and you have tandoori chicken.

But you need a tandoor oven...wait the BGE is kind of a tandoor, I think?

Marinade it yogurt and spices and you have tandoori chicken.

But you need a tandoor oven...wait the BGE is kind of a tandoor, I think?

i saw someone making bread in a tandoor on the cooking channel. super neat. i hope you get yours figured out.

i cook skinless bone in thighs when i can find them. i like that i get the char on the meat rather than the skin that i don't eat. rubs etc on skin just prevents it from getting on the meat. plus you get less flair ups and the meat seems to cook a bit faster.

I have cooked bone-in skinless breasts on a grill or smoker. I brine or rub with a slightly salt heavy rub to protect against loss of moisture. I do bone down with the lid on. I tend to keep the heat in the 300F range.

Plus ! on the high heat. High and fast to prevent moisture loss.

One of the ways I do skinless chicken is the Italian way.

Trim the excess fat then marinade them in a mixture of oil, chopped fine garlic, fresh chopped oregano, fresh rosemary fresh squeezed lemon, sea salt and pepper. For the oil I mix 1/2 EV olive oil to 1/2 veg oil.

To make them really melt in the mouth let them marinade for a few days in a ziplock bag.

Then grill them over an oak wood fire. High heat turn frequently so the chopped garlic does not burn.

Plate and then squeeze on fresh lemon juice and serve garnished with a sprig of fresh rosemary.

Accompaniments could be a wild mushroom risotto or garlic mashed potatoes. Grill roasted potatoes, Cesar salad, or some mxed greens. PAn seared green beans with garlic and nutmeg.

Oh man, I am hungry now.

I pull the skin back but leave a small part attached. Put my spices and herbs on meat, and roll skin back over the meat. Grill the meat til done, and remove the skin.

Back